A Sad Fact Of Life: Serial & Ritual Killers

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: A Sad Fact Of Life: Serial & Ritual Killers

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Naperville wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:17 pm
I'm no expert, PLUS, I'm 59 and do not move like I use to. I would study up hard on what it is to be a "Gray Man." There are videos on YouTube and books on Amazon abt what it takes to be a gray man.

What you need to do is to not attract attention. Bad guys/girls and thugs are looking for easy targets. Do not look like an easy target. That does not mean you need a pool queue with you everywhere you go.

When you go to the big city, don't get off at the wrong exit. Don't be at a gas station on the wrong side of town needing gas at 11PM. If you're "downtown" don't look up at the tops of the 50 story buildings like it's the first time you ever saw one. Pay attention to people.... don't bump in to people. Don't converse with strangers at all...just keep walking, and set them on ignore.
These are very good advice tips. Here is a related question regarding not conversing with people: How do you keep a good balance, where you are polite, friendly, and helpful, without seeming too friendly or too nice to the point where one seems like an easy target? Only show kindness and politeness to those whom show it to you?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Humans are at their most irrational when it comes to our fears. This seems silly to worry about to me. Serial killers are pretty rare. You are far more likely to die in a plane crash which is another irrational fear itself. People should worry more about heart disease and distracted driving than some statistically unlikely event.

I also don’t believe that it doesn’t matter where you live. I have lived in major metropolitan areas and very rural areas. There is clearly more risk living some places than others.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:22 am
Humans are at their most irrational when it comes to our fears. This seems silly to worry about to me. Serial killers are pretty rare. You are far more likely to die in a plane crash which is another irrational fear itself. People should worry more about heart disease and distracted driving than some statistically unlikely event.

I also don’t believe that it doesn’t matter where you live. I have lived in major metropolitan areas and very rural areas. There is clearly more risk living some places than others.
And to a large degree I kind go along with what you're saying BKF but the reason I brought out this thread is because as statistically rare as it is>> these types of crimes are on the rise. Also in the past 3 years or so I've been having very negative encounters with people at large>> like in grocery stores, department stores and in parking lots for hardly no reason it seems like people are so hateful and just looking for trouble. Just yesterday I had a guy get mad at me and I did was say" hello" when I walked past him :confused:

Maybe it's worse for me because I live in the burbs of big Metropolitan area ( Kansas City, MO). Even checkers/cashiers at stores seem to just be hateful and confrontational>> a lot more so in the past 2 to 3 years I've noticed all of this. Since I moved out of inner Kansas City about 16 months ago it has been somewhat better but I still feel something really negative and hateful dealing with people.

One of the latest Serial Killers here in the KC area was a guy who was living in wooded parts of KC. We have a lot of strips of very wooded areas here in KC with Swope Park being one of the bigger ones and a lot of homeless people and fugitives are now living in those locations. But the one guy was killing people on a walking & bicycle riding trail ( I think it was 7 in total). It got really close to home when the friend of one of my best friends was one of the murder victims of this sicko. The victim was a very well known and well liked business owner here in KC. The guy had over 1000 people at his funeral. The guy that killed these poor victims said it was society's fault>> and his mother even concurred with him :mad: .

Serial Killers are most definitely on the increase ( even as small percentage wise as it might be) and I'm just wondering what the common denominator might be? And we are to the point to where I feel that taking precautionary measures would be wise IMO.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:38 am
These are very good advice tips. Here is a related question regarding not conversing with people: How do you keep a good balance, where you are polite, friendly, and helpful, without seeming too friendly or too nice to the point where one seems like an easy target? Only show kindness and politeness to those whom show it to you?
Some or all of this is going to rely on what you know, so the more that you are outside in the environment the better you are going to be able to tell who to talk too and who to avoid.

Most people in big cities have some place to go, some place to be, they are not out wandering around Downtown Chicago/NY/LA looking for a stranger to talk to. Anyone that tries to stop you on the street can be bad news. I ignore 99% of them. I do not want to be slashed on the face, have acid thrown on me, or be in an all out argument with a person who is schizophrenic or bipolar and is off of their meds.

NOTE: People with mental health issues who care abt their lives take care of themselves. They take their medications regularly, see a DR, and set everyone on ignore too.

It is not a matter of hating anyone, it is a matter of survival.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:05 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:38 am
Some or all of this is going to rely on what you know, so the more that you are outside in the environment the better you are going to be able to tell who to talk too and who to avoid.

Most people in big cities have some place to go, some place to be, they are not out wandering around Downtown Chicago/NY/LA looking for a stranger to talk to. Anyone that tries to stop you on the street can be bad news. I ignore 99% of them. I do not want to be slashed on the face, have acid thrown on me, or be in an all out argument with a person who is schizophrenic or bipolar and is off of their meds.

NOTE: People with mental health issues who care abt their lives take care of themselves. They take their medications regularly, see a DR, and set everyone on ignore too.

It is not a matter of hating anyone, it is a matter of survival.
I tend to be sort of a compassionate person because the past 5 years of my own life has certainly had some serious challenges. But I do also agree with "Naperville". He is right that you must be "street smart" in order to avoid some really bad confrontations. I lived in a relatively bad area of Kansas City for a while and I got an education there that you can't get at Harvard or Yale. And he is right about people highly developed in "con artistry". When I was working in that one church ministry that helped street people you just couldn't believe the elaborate sob stories you would hear. Some of those folks really should have been nominated for an "Oscar" for their great performances :rolleyes: >> Naperville's strategy of totally ignoring the street people is good solid advice.
It was incredible how horribly evil and corrupt many of the street people were. It seemed like the nicer and kinder you were to them the more they wanted to victimize you and take any advantage of you that they could>> and your murder would be an option for them if they thought you had something they wanted. There were some people that were decent people down on their luck there in the city but they were in the minority. Most of the street people I got to know would dig up their deceased grandmother just to extract the gold out of her teeth>>> NO!!! I'm not kidding!! that's just how heartless and evil some of them were. So you do have to be on your toes when dealing street people and/or people that have a sob story.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

shunsui wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:22 pm
I used to live in a beach community and would go to a local coffee shop all the time.
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:36 am
thank you. That sends a clear message to the potential attacker
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
James Y

Post by James Y »

"Most" normal people seem unable to grasp the concept that people like serial killers and other types of psychopaths and sociopaths, whether murderers or not, are totally without the ability to empathize or have a conscience. During sentencing hearings of psycho/sociopathic murderers, surviving family members feel that by giving a victim impact statement it will make a convicted killer feel guilty or sad. The only regret they'll feel is that they got caught and cannot continue doing whatever crimes they were doing, including murder. And while giving a victim impact statement may allow the victim or the victim's surviving family members a chance to express their feelings, they fail to realize that it only gives power to the killer. When you tell a convicted psychopath/sociopathic killer that "You not only killed our family member, you destroyed our entire family," the killer most likely feels a sense of power from that; or if not, then no feeling at all. A few may ACT contrite, but it's only an act, probably in an attempt to manipulate the court so he/she can get some future benefit out of it.

Most people just can't seem to understand that psychopaths and sociopaths are wired differently. You cannot make them "see the light" and empathize with their victims or anybody else, for that matter. You'd be better off trying to draw blood from a stone.

Jim
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

James Y wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:58 pm
"Most" normal people seem unable to grasp the concept that people like serial killers and other types of psychopaths and sociopaths, whether murderers or not, are totally without the ability to empathize or have a conscience. During sentencing hearings of psycho/sociopathic murderers, surviving family members feel that by giving a victim impact statement it will make a convicted killer feel guilty or sad. The only regret they'll feel is that they got caught and cannot continue doing whatever crimes they were doing, including murder. And while giving a victim impact statement may allow the victim or the victim's surviving family members a chance to express their feelings, they fail to realize that it only gives power to the killer. When you tell a convicted psychopath/sociopathic killer that "You not only killed our family member, you destroyed our entire family," the killer most likely feels a sense of power from that; or if not, then no feeling at all. A few may ACT contrite, but it's only an act, probably in an attempt to manipulate the court so he/she can get some future benefit out of it.

Most people just can't seem to understand that psychopaths and sociopaths are wired differently. You cannot make them "see the light" and empathize with their victims or anybody else, for that matter. You'd be better off trying to draw blood from a stone.

Jim
I would agree with this, totally. They do not feel what we feel. They cannot. Most people simply cannot relate to such a thing, it being so far beyond their ability to believe. That is how Psychopaths win. Ken Haughk, a clinical Psychologist, wrote a book about such people getting into church and how to recognize and deal with them called "Antagonists in the Church". It should be required reading.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:35 pm
James Y wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:58 pm

Jim
I would agree with this, totally. They do not feel what we feel. They cannot. Most people simply cannot relate to such a thing, it being so far beyond their ability to believe. That is how Psychopaths win. Ken Haughk, a clinical Psychologist, wrote a book about such people getting into church and how to recognize and deal with them called "Antagonists in the Church". It should be required reading.
I agree with both of you guys. Because psychopaths and sociopaths I believe many have been that hardened since they were kids in many cases. I had a very devout minister tell me once that there are people whose conscience has been reprobate since their youth in many cases which totally confirmed what I've believed for years. We had two of them in the town I grew up in>> they are both dead now but their resumes would almost make Charles Manson blush. One of them was caught by a neighbor trying to strangle his own mother because she wouldn't give him money for dope or booze. Even back when I was a teenager you could tell by their actions and attitudes that they were completely devoid of any love, empathy or caring for any other human being. I've been told that some are literally born that way>> not sure if I 100% believe that one>> but in many cases I can't argue with it either. But the bottom line is there are more of those type out there now than there ever has been. I could give some additional first hand accounts but we have so many naysayers and doubters here that I won't waste my time or yours.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Bloke wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:45 pm
shunsui wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:22 pm
I used to live in a beach community and would go to a local coffee shop all the time.
So true. I sent the same gif to a friend of mine a couple of years ago.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

shunsui wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:37 am
So true. I sent the same gif to a friend of mine a couple of years ago.
Ah, hahaha, ah, hahah, ah, hahaha! :p

Serial killers may get us yet. In the meantime we may as we’ll have a laugh.

What’s the alternative? :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Fetal alcohol syndrome that may result from drinking during pregnancy has been blamed for the cause of some behavioral problems. Genes have been linked to violence, kleptomania, pyromania and other personality disorders. In my opinion, we should not waste our treasure trying to correct people with poor impulse control, the lowest common denominator. Just get them off the street and focus resources on rational people with potential.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

This fear-based line of thinking that we live in the most unsafe time in history is simply not true. Personal anecdotes aside – analysis of actual crime statistics (FBI Uniform Crime Report) compiled in the United States shows that violent crime has steadily declined since its peak in the early 90s. Recent (2014-2016) upticks in reported incidents of violent crime, while they make catchy media headlines, are not representative of the overall downward trend based on data compiled in the long-term.

It is an undeniable fact serial killers make up a minuscule percentage of all recorded violent crime and the likelihood of being the victim of a serial killer is ridiculously low.

On the other hand - according to death statistics collected by the CDC - heart disease, cancer, and automobile accidents will kill exponentially more Americans than all forms of violent crime (homicide) each year.

Yes, violence occurs. Yes it’s terrible. Maintaining a rational perspective, along with a healthy dose of situational awareness in my surroundings, helps me to feel safer. I know it’s certainly less interesting to think about than serial killers, but if you are truly concerned with taking steps to extend your lifespan, I’d advise that you drive carefully to your next physical..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am far more afraid of folks with irrational fears than I am of serial killers. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

You are far more likely to be killed doing something dumb than being murdered.
If concerned the economist suggests moving to Singapore or better yet Liechtenstein.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

According to recent studies, obesity and my recliner are far more likely to kill me.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Yes, it's true that your chances of being targeted by a serial killer is infinitesimally small. You're far more likely to face danger from reckless/distracted/impaired drivers. Or being stupid while trying to take a selfie on the edge of a cliff.

It seems from posts on knife-related forums that many members (who live in states that allow CCW) EDC a firearm. If you are vigilant, your chances of needing to use that firearm in a self-defense situation are also extremely small. The average citizen will never need to actually use that firearm against another human being even once in a lifetime. Yet they still carry a firearm "just in case."

Now, your chances of being caught in some kind of "mass shooting", while still not too high, has definitely increased signigpficantly, and is much more likely than being targeted by a serial killer. The news media bears much of the responsibility, as it makes 'superstars' out of the losers who commit these mass shootings. That Nikolas Cruz kid who shot up that Florida school has been receiving letters in prison from girls all over the country (the world?) professing their love for him. Something that, before the shooting, clearly never came close to happening even once for him.

Jim
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Mass shootings and mass killings have been going on since the beginning of time. These shootings are nothing new, at all.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:45 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:31 pm
And here is a question I have: How can a person make sure we are safe or immune from being attacked by a serial killer/murderer? I used to be afraid that I would be walking down a street or road and a serial killer would attack me. A combat veteran told me that the best way to avoid this is to "make yourself look like the opposite of their targets" and he also said be prepared via self defense training and other means to fight them if need be. From what I see after watching crime dramas and reading books and in movies and reading real-life situations on the internet, these wicked people tend to go after pre-determined specific targets who remind them of someone that either caused trauma to them or was perceived to cause trauma of some sort to them, or, people that for some reason or another in their twisted minds and hearts, they prey upon.

I asked this veteran the question "Can someone go too far in making themselves look dangerous as a target?" and he said yes. I asked him what he meant and he said that on one hand you don't want to appear to be easy prey or an easy target but on the other hand, he said if you make yourself look "too mean and outrageously dangerous" that could back fire and get the attention of violent people looking for a fight. Is that a realistic statement on his part ?

Example: Imagine if you could legally attach several Spyderco Tasman Salt knives to your clothes and walk around like that, and put out the image that "You better not mess with me or I'm gonna carve you up like a roast turkey!" Would such an act send a message to any potential attacker to stay back?

One of my speculative desires, and I am sure JD Spydo and some of you here may or may not agree, would be for every human being on earth who is not out to attack others, could have your own personal swarm of "Defender Bots". These would be some flexible, super-tough, intelligent robotic creature or creatures that act as your own personal body-guard. Imagine if everyone had these, and they would all have real-time cameras, and retractable weapons, such as ultra-sharp and strong extending knives and other devices on them. If anyone attempted to mug, assault, molest, or otherwise harm another person, your Defender Bots would go into instant action, protecting you and stopping the assailant.

What do some of you on here who are self defense trained experts say about such an invention? What would the downsides and upsides to it be?
You are far more likely to be injured or killed by a distracted driver messing around with his iphone, or a drunk driver, than by a serial killer. Your chances of being targeted by a serial killer are even smaller than being caught in a mass shooting.

If you go around trying to look 'hard', you will eventually attract the kind of attention you don't want, from both criminals and non-criminals.

Jim
Jim you are 1000% right about the statistical rarity of a serial killer or mass murderer>> however it is a fact that the occurrence of such crimes are on the rise even as low percentage as it is. And with the rise of "Super Hate Groups" like "ISIS" and many similar rogue paramilitary organizations it is becoming a bigger reality than ever in the past. And you're right on citing that "Cell Phone Addicts" operating motor vehicles and to some degree "drunks" behind the wheel of a car are far more likely to end your life than a terrorist nut case or a paramilitary hate group like "ISIS".

But in spite of the low percentages those problem people are on the rise. One reason I started this thread was to see how many people are even aware of their surroundings. Most of the people who get hurt, robbed or even murdered in rare cases here in the metroplex I live in ( Kansas City, MO) seems to always happen in the bad areas of town even in spite of the warnings to stay out of those areas.

Also another really scary factor is that in most cases "law enforcement" will very rarely be in a position to protect you. And that's not to cast disparaging remarks against the great bunch of guys and gals here on the Forum who are active in the law enforcement community. But in many cases their hands are tied and they are legally limited as to what they can do in many cases. So with that said it's truly up to us as individuals to be ready to defend ourselves. There was a book written a few years back by a former leader of a great "Pro-Gun' group JPFO ( Jews For The Preservation of Firearms Ownership)>> a really great guy and his name was Aaron Zelman ( now deceased) and the title of his book was "Dial 911 And Die". All throughout the book he stressed the importance of being constantly equipped and ready to defend yourself.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Getting to keep the cartoons, just an added bonus.