Squared/Rectangular Handle Scales: Do you like them or not?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Squared/Rectangular Handle Scales: Do you like them or not?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

While I am all for ergonomics and knife handles that comfortably fit the user, there are some folders and fixed blades I have seen that have squared or rectangular-shaped handles that work well with the blade. What are your opinions on this for Spyderco in particular? Do you want to see more of these or do you prefer handle scales with more curvature?

A related question: Can ergonomics go too far, when it comes to adding such things as finger-grooves, because then what happens is the knife is not as "one size fits all", because some have larger and smaller hands?
RazorSharp86

Re: Squared/Rectangular Handle Scales: Do you like them or not?

Post by RazorSharp86 »

I much prefer a more versatile, simple handle design.
One of my favorite features of the SpydieChef, for example. Also why I love the Sebenza 21, traditional folders and other knives with similar handle designs.

All these contours, finger choild, etc. only restrict the versatility of the knife, IMO.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Round and contour literally everything.

Ergonomics > pocket thinness.

I'll gladly accept a little thicker handle in my pocket for far better feeling in my hand.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Depends on the knife. On a bushcraft or wood carving knife where you will be gripping really hard and making hard cuts a round handle feels nice. On some other knives I can appreciate how a slab handled knife indexes in the hand. I think the Shaman handle is brilliant. It has nicely contoured edges for comfort but has enough flat to index well in the hand.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I don't mind the handles that aren't as rounded at the edge as some of the others. I still think a little more contour feels a little better but it's really not a huge difference for me. I can handle my 40th Anniversary Native and then use one of my others (Native 5 LW or G10, etc) and they feel fine.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I prefer the scales on my Spydies to be flat but slightly chamfered (as on Manix2s and PM2s) or rolled (as on Stretches and Delicas) on the edges. Apart from minimized pocket-hoggery, I like having leverage against rolling, which flat offers my hand more than rounded.

And yet I like my Shaman, and do have the S90V Native5 coming.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I didn't think I'd like square handles. Then I got a Chokwe. :p

Overall, I prefer generically rounded and contoured. And by "generic", I mean ones that aren't overly sculpted to lock in only one particular hand size and grip. As you mention, it can be overdone to the point where a handle doesn't accommodate different hand sizes very well, though I think Spyderco is good about avoiding that.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

a lot of people hate on the manix for having a blocky grip, but i think it’s perfect. after holding the native salt, i understand what they are saying though. it still doesn’t bother me at all, but it is slightly less ergonomic to me than the manix. what this tells me is that the manix just happens to fit my hand perfectly, but if my hand was a different size compared with the grip, it would be less comfortable.
that said, having tried the shaman, i found it less comfortable in my hand than the manix because it thins out toward my pinky and gives me less to hold on to. normally, i like a contoured grip, but i didn’t care for it on the shaman.
some people hate the manix and love the shaman. i happen to be opposite. there are just too many variables to please everyone, so i’m glad spyderco has a wide range of knives. i think the happy medium might be the para3 because it’s still blocky, but has just enough rounding of the edges to be nicer in the hand. i don’t own one, but i remember it being more comfortable in my hand than the pm2. i think they did this to the caribbean too, but i haven’t held one yet.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Of my small collection, I like the One-Eyed Jack handle shape because it’s a combination of sort of rectangular and slightly contoured in such a way that it really accommodates my grip. It’s both comfortable, secure and orienting. My Para 3 is in the same class but a bit more sculpted to orient the hand and contoured just enough on the edges to be comfortable. The Ikuchi is in its own class and I find that the grip and the feel is just fine. So I suppose it varies with the knife design and user preference.

Although I don’t own one, I suspect that handle designs on knives like the Yojimbo are made to fit its specific purpose. You certainly want a firm orienting and secure grip I think that would be excellent.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

flat
squared
peel ply g10 or textured frn
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

I think the bigger issue is chamfering vs squared edges. A nice chamfer makes every handle better. I wish they did this on all G10 models. The Lil Temp 3 does this well.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I thought I would like a smooth round handle more, but it turns out I don't.

The slab handled Manix is my all time favorite, but the PM2 is great too.

I have found that I like the way a slab sided handle indexes in my hand. And I like a coarse textured scale surface as well, pocket wear be what it will.

All this has me thinking of the Shaman versus the Manix, and my thoughts are a lot like ladybug93. I get along fine with the Shaman, but I think I will like it better with a scale material with more tooth (like some micarta). If you are going to contour the handle, some extra friction in the scale material is a plus.

But when it is all said and done, it is no big deal either way -- we are talking about fine points here.
Tims

Post by Tims »

I prefer a neutral handle design as I don’t feel I need anything beyond grip strength to securely hold a knife. That said, there are degrees of neutral. I don’t want every knife I own to look like a broomstick with a blade.

As for flat scales. I like em in a pocket knife as long as they’re also thin and not too wide. I can’t be cutting things while trying to hold onto a deck of cards.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Don't carry it much these days, but the rectangular handles of my emerson mini7 are great. Gives you more freedom to hold the knife any way you want. I also like contured, ergo'd handles for different reasons. I like them all on a case by case basis.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I like thin flat smooth scales, with a generous chamfer, like the Sage 2 or Spydiechef.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I need some ergonomic features in a handle design. A plain Sebenza is too flat and straight for my hands, but with a micarta/wood inlay they become great (for me). Spyderco usually puts in a few key ergonomic features, like the profile of a Sage 2 or the onlay of the Centofante Memory.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I am with the camp that likes flat, to control turning in hand. With eased edges of course.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wonder how a fuller on a grip would perform? I bet it would help a lot in preventing the handle from twisting and rolling in use. This is one reason I'm not a fan of traditional Ka-bars, I just can't live with literally round handles. When I push for rounded handles I really mean elliptical. I wouldn't want all my knives to be an inch and a half thick in the handle but another 1/4 inch in overall thickness to round off the shoulders more is ok by me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

After comparing the Lightweight Native 5 and the Lightweight Para 3 I think I prefer the more rounded Para 3
araneae

Post by araneae »

Hands are curved and as such, contoured handles are more comfortable to me.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal