A Sad Fact Of Life: Serial & Ritual Killers

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Re: A Sad Fact Of Life: Serial & Ritual Killers

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:43 am
Regarding domestic violence: yes, it is one of the most-feared calls the police can get. Sometime back in the late 1980s, when I was living overseas in Taiwan, I got news that a former childhood playmate who had later become a Los Angeles police officer, had been shot and killed as he and his partner were responding to a domestic violence call.

Jim
This domestic violence really should be a thread all it's own. Because when I was working with one ministry where we helped people with a wide range of problems I personally tried to counsel with a couple of ladies who were literally being used as human "punching bags" by their so-called "loving partners" :rolleyes:

For years I never put much stock or belief in the concept of the Stockholm Syndrome but in the past couple of years I've been re-considering it. Because so many cases where two minister friends of mine who helped women and children get out of those hellish situations in many cases you see the beat up women go right back to the guy who was literally severely beat them and in some cases the kids as well to a bloody pulp only to see the mother go right back to this degenerate coward/scumbag>> and in two distinct cases they went back more than just once.

So there must be something to the theory of the Stockholm Syndrome :confused: Because I can't for the life of me understand why any self respecting woman would subject herself or even her children for GOD's sake to what you could literally call "ROUND #2" of a hellish, nightmare scenario of violence and in many cases a life threatening situation. Because with over 4 billion men on the planet I would think that finding a new boyfriend or husband would be a much better choice :confused: :confused:
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:18 am
James Y wrote:
Regarding domestic violence: yes, it is one of the most-feared calls the police can get. Sometime back in the late 1980s, when I was living overseas in Taiwan, I got news that a former childhood playmate who had later become a Los Angeles police officer, had been shot and killed as he and his partner were responding to a domestic violence call.

Jim
This domestic violence really should be a thread all it's own. Because when I was working with one ministry where we helped people with a wide range of problems I personally tried to counsel with a couple of ladies who were literally being used as human "punching bags" by their so-called "loving partners" :rolleyes:

For years I never put much stock or belief in the concept of the Stockholm Syndrome but in the past couple of years I've been re-considering it. Because so many cases where two minister friends of mine who helped women and children get out of those hellish situations in many cases you see the beat up women go right back to the guy who was literally severely beat them and in some cases the kids as well to a bloody pulp only to see the mother go right back to this degenerate coward/scumbag>> and in two distinct cases they went back more than just once.

So there must be something to the theory of the Stockholm Syndrome :confused: Because I can't for the life of me understand why any self respecting woman would subject herself or even her children for GOD's sake to what you could literally call "ROUND #2" of a hellish, nightmare scenario of violence and in many cases a life threatening situation. Because with over 4 billion men on the planet I would think that finding a new boyfriend or husband would be a much better choice :confused: :confused:
Prior to becoming a massage therapist, I was a stenographer doing real-time captioning in classes at various colleges and schools for the hearing-impaired. One of my clients was a then-40-something woman who introduced me to her fiancée, a guy was was also hearing-impaired. When we shook hands, I got a weird vibe off of him, even though he presented himself as friendly and polite. I just didn't like him, but she seemed happy, so I didn't say anything.

Some months later, after they were married, she told me she was done with him. She told me one day he had become physically violent with her, and when her adult son, a firefighter who was not hearing-impaired, jumped in to protect her, the husband beat him up, badly enough to be hospitalized. True to her word, she left him right then and there, filed for and got a divorce, and completely stayed away. She said that was the first and last time he ever put his hands on her, and more importantly for her, her son, and that was that. I encountered her again years later at an outdoor art fair, years after I had stopped working as a captioner, and she had gotten on with her life grandly, still happily living alone and working as an artist. She was a great and kind person, and also very strong-willed, which certainly made a big difference.

This same lady had told me that after she left her abusive husband, she volunteered for a while at a women's shelter, helping hearing-impaired women who were being abused. She told me she was done with that, too. She said she was fed up with doing her best to help these women and educate them about domestic violence, only to have most of them go right back into their abusive situations.

Jim
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:18 am
James Y wrote:

Jim

I forget what the actual statistic is but it apparently takes on average, something like 8 times for the woman to leave for a break up to stick, from my own experience it appears that the mental blocks for leaving are extremely strong be it the kids, financial constraints, threats of harm or some other factor and the reality of the danger they can be in just dosnt seem to register as strongly. It truly is a disgusting crime, locally there are a ton of awareness and support efforts in place that help to overcome those barriers to leave.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well "Daveho" I would be the last one to dis-believe you unfortunately after what I experienced working with those ministers and professional counselors. And the utterly, horribly sad thing to add to that was that some of the women even violated their own expensive legal actions like "Orders of Protection", Restraining Orders, Expartes and even being put in battered women's shelters>> in spite of going through all of that they would often still return to the monsters that in some cases almost killed them and hurt their children :(

It was truly heart wrenching and horribly depressing to see that happen so many times. And almost without failure it would happen again within a very short period of time. I was told by one of the head pastors I worked with that men who were that violent with women and children very rarely, if ever changed their ways. It was almost a guarantee that it was going to happen again and again. There should at the very least be a legal way to remove the kids from a living nightmare such as that. Again I'm having second thoughts about the Stockholm Syndrome which I used to believe was hogwash :(
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Maybe instead of trying to remove the woman, we should remove the man.

Our little oilfield service company had seven employees. The only girl was the receptionist. Everyone adored her. One day she arrived at the office bruised and had a lame excuse. The next time it happened, I warned her that if it happened again I would fire her. Not for getting beaten but for having the poor judgment to stay in an abusive relationship. Other men in the company, one had done time for manslaughter, had an earnest conversation with her and offered to tune up her boyfriend. Not sure what they did, but he left and never bothered her again.

On another job, a coworker had quit to work for child protective services. He was a big fellow. He told me that he had a case of child abuse, put the boyfriend against the wall and told him quietly that if it happened again he would kill him. Unlikely that was in the CPS policy and procedures manual.

One weekend we had a guest on a Harley, patch vest, tattoos and doo rag, riding with us in our Vmax club. He was a member of a club that helped abused women. He said his club would ride out together and confront the scumbag.

The Klan is remembered for attacks on black men, but they also made night rides to deal out vigilante justice to white pedophiles and wife beaters. Today, we are too politically correct.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Im not going to get into the religion thing... That's too big a can of worms and causes lots of trouble on forums and in real life. But on domestic violence...

Violence against women and children... All I have to say is if I meet someone who beats a woman, or a child, they better be able to run or the authorities better get them first. I won't hold back on someone like that. If my wife or child is ever harmed by some low life degenerate they won't ever find him.

Put abusers and child molesters in general population. The other inmates will take care of him.

On the other hand I have been in an abusive relationship. Talked down to, told I couldn't do things she could do (couldn't handle it...?) she gave me "tests" during our relationship and also was not totally honest when my father was dying. She said I needed my space, and it was another test and I failed because she started or was already seeing someone else. It was bad, but I made out better in the end!

Abuse and violence are so much more than just physical circumstances. Mental abuse may even be more damaging. Usually they go hand in hand, but not always.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
ferider

Post by ferider »

Actually, in the US/UK, 2 in 5 domestic violence victims are male. Many men just don't report it. And I won't comment on consequences if ever my family would be hurt. The internet is not the right place for that.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mad Mac wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:38 am
Maybe instead of trying to remove the woman, we should remove the man.

One weekend we had a guest on a Harley, patch vest, tattoos and doo rag, riding with us in our Vmax club. He was a member of a club that helped abused women. He said his club would ride out together and confront the scumbag.

The Klan is remembered for attacks on black men, but they also made night rides to deal out vigilante justice to white pedophiles and wife beaters. Today, we are too politically correct.
When I was in my early teens back in the 60s it seemed like "wife & kid" beatings were commonplace. As I was growing up I became friends with a local police officer and one day I asked him why so many wife and kid beaters never got punished>> he said that in so many cases the wife would make up with the dirtbag and end up dropping the charges and that very few of those cases ever got to a judge. Now a days they've changed that>> it's actually the cop that files charges against the scum ball wife/kid beater now. And needless to say the cops don't drop the charges.

What we're all talking about is what little off it that is being revealed and made public. I've often wondered how much of this depravity is kept silent over the years? I've got a feeling that much more is kept silent than what is revealed :( There is so much total mayhem in our society that it's a wonder that our prison system isn't bigger than what it already is :( GOD help us
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:47 am
Well "Daveho" I would be the last one to dis-believe you unfortunately after what I experienced working with those ministers and professional counselors. And the utterly, horribly sad thing to add to that was that some of the women even violated their own expensive legal actions like "Orders of Protection", Restraining Orders, Expartes and even being put in battered women's shelters>> in spite of going through all of that they would often still return to the monsters that in some cases almost killed them and hurt their children :(

It was truly heart wrenching and horribly depressing to see that happen so many times. And almost without failure it would happen again within a very short period of time. I was told by one of the head pastors I worked with that men who were that violent with women and children very rarely, if ever changed their ways. It was almost a guarantee that it was going to happen again and again. There should at the very least be a legal way to remove the kids from a living nightmare such as that. Again I'm having second thoughts about the Stockholm Syndrome which I used to believe was hogwash :(
If I recall it was predicted on the women (in this particular example) having actually made her mind up to leave-
Obviously many victims be them women, men, trans, straight, gay and so on never reach that tipping point (or have the opportunity too)
Based on my own experience with this god awful subject there is typically a lot of financial abuse which is becoming more known and my local government is offering support in those situations, where victims are being cut off from their money and choices as a result, I don’t believe this is an issue that will ever be “solved” however removing obstacles to make that decision to leave easier is certainly a good way to attack the issue.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:05 am
There’s something wrong with human nature.

Apart from our share of psychopaths, drug crazed, social misfits of every description and mentaly ill we have a serious problem with violence against women.

Here in Australia, I’m embarrassed to say, on average one woman a week is murdered by her current or former partner.
Man that is so sad and tragic and horrible. An Australian woman who I used to chat with and who told me she carried a knife everwhere she went told me that South Africa and Australia are two of the most dangerous countries for women apart from the UK and USA, as far as Western countries went.
SpyderEdgeForever

And here is a question I have: How can a person make sure we are safe or immune from being attacked by a serial killer/murderer? I used to be afraid that I would be walking down a street or road and a serial killer would attack me. A combat veteran told me that the best way to avoid this is to "make yourself look like the opposite of their targets" and he also said be prepared via self defense training and other means to fight them if need be. From what I see after watching crime dramas and reading books and in movies and reading real-life situations on the internet, these wicked people tend to go after pre-determined specific targets who remind them of someone that either caused trauma to them or was perceived to cause trauma of some sort to them, or, people that for some reason or another in their twisted minds and hearts, they prey upon.

I asked this veteran the question "Can someone go too far in making themselves look dangerous as a target?" and he said yes. I asked him what he meant and he said that on one hand you don't want to appear to be easy prey or an easy target but on the other hand, he said if you make yourself look "too mean and outrageously dangerous" that could back fire and get the attention of violent people looking for a fight. Is that a realistic statement on his part ?

Example: Imagine if you could legally attach several Spyderco Tasman Salt knives to your clothes and walk around like that, and put out the image that "You better not mess with me or I'm gonna carve you up like a roast turkey!" Would such an act send a message to any potential attacker to stay back?

One of my speculative desires, and I am sure JD Spydo and some of you here may or may not agree, would be for every human being on earth who is not out to attack others, could have your own personal swarm of "Defender Bots". These would be some flexible, super-tough, intelligent robotic creature or creatures that act as your own personal body-guard. Imagine if everyone had these, and they would all have real-time cameras, and retractable weapons, such as ultra-sharp and strong extending knives and other devices on them. If anyone attempted to mug, assault, molest, or otherwise harm another person, your Defender Bots would go into instant action, protecting you and stopping the assailant.

What do some of you on here who are self defense trained experts say about such an invention? What would the downsides and upsides to it be?
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

That’s not an invention... it’s a very invitation to a robot uprising..
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Daveho wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:56 pm
That’s not an invention... it’s a very invitation to a robot uprising..
I tend to agree with "Daveho" on that one. Even Elon Musk has gave big warnings how "artificial intelligence" could backfire on you. I do not want to rely on any such high tech as that to be my defense tool. I'll admit that I know very little about the technology or even the concept of "artificial intelligence" but I can tell you this>> I do not trust it at all. I never saw the movie "I-Robot" but a good friend of mine who is a techno-nerd told me after that movie was released that it was closer to reality that we want to believe.

I guess the latest thing that has a lot of guys drooling over are "sex-bots">> but again I could see how that could come back to haunt a person in a terrible, nightmarish way. I do not want to mix technology with basic human needs>> not for me at all. It could only be bad in the long run I'm certain of it and I do believe that the consequences could be potentially horrific :( :confused:
James Y

Post by James Y »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:31 pm
And here is a question I have: How can a person make sure we are safe or immune from being attacked by a serial killer/murderer? I used to be afraid that I would be walking down a street or road and a serial killer would attack me. A combat veteran told me that the best way to avoid this is to "make yourself look like the opposite of their targets" and he also said be prepared via self defense training and other means to fight them if need be. From what I see after watching crime dramas and reading books and in movies and reading real-life situations on the internet, these wicked people tend to go after pre-determined specific targets who remind them of someone that either caused trauma to them or was perceived to cause trauma of some sort to them, or, people that for some reason or another in their twisted minds and hearts, they prey upon.

I asked this veteran the question "Can someone go too far in making themselves look dangerous as a target?" and he said yes. I asked him what he meant and he said that on one hand you don't want to appear to be easy prey or an easy target but on the other hand, he said if you make yourself look "too mean and outrageously dangerous" that could back fire and get the attention of violent people looking for a fight. Is that a realistic statement on his part ?

Example: Imagine if you could legally attach several Spyderco Tasman Salt knives to your clothes and walk around like that, and put out the image that "You better not mess with me or I'm gonna carve you up like a roast turkey!" Would such an act send a message to any potential attacker to stay back?

One of my speculative desires, and I am sure JD Spydo and some of you here may or may not agree, would be for every human being on earth who is not out to attack others, could have your own personal swarm of "Defender Bots". These would be some flexible, super-tough, intelligent robotic creature or creatures that act as your own personal body-guard. Imagine if everyone had these, and they would all have real-time cameras, and retractable weapons, such as ultra-sharp and strong extending knives and other devices on them. If anyone attempted to mug, assault, molest, or otherwise harm another person, your Defender Bots would go into instant action, protecting you and stopping the assailant.

What do some of you on here who are self defense trained experts say about such an invention? What would the downsides and upsides to it be?
You are far more likely to be injured or killed by a distracted driver messing around with his iphone, or a drunk driver, than by a serial killer. Your chances of being targeted by a serial killer are even smaller than being caught in a mass shooting.

If you go around trying to look 'hard', you will eventually attract the kind of attention you don't want, from both criminals and non-criminals.

Jim
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
You just need to tone it down a bit.

I used to live in a beach community and would go to a local coffee shop all the time.
I just made a point of cleanly slicing some cartoon or the weekend football TV schedule out of the newspaper with my Endura every day.

Average people don't care, bad guys notice you aren't their first choice.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Psychopathy/sociopathy has been on the rise globally and science is at a loss to explain why. The Dark Triad, narcissism, Machiavellianism, and psychopathy, very malevolent and dangerous disorders, are globally spiking. These are not normal people, though we want to believe in the basic goodness of people, they are not and cannot be by nature. They are not always serial killers, they often become CEO's or go into public office. What they do is create harm everywhere they go. They can and do murder people, including babies, and anyone they think of as easy prey. There is no cure for these conditions, either.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Psychopathy/sociopathy has been on the rise globally and science is at a loss to explain why.
They were always there. There were stronger checks to bad behavior.Much bigger downsides. Our punishments are a joke to the real predators now. Not much to be afraid of anymore even in prisons.

Moral relativism is offered as a reason by many. Of course that isn't something that can be quantified so can it ever be an answer to science? What is wrong for you may not be wrong for me.

Lack of religion is another. Once there is no all seeing divinity giving a godsmack to the deserving or karmic retribution it becomes all about what you can get away with. Is the potential gain worth the repercussions? This becomes the equation for everything from drug dealing to genocide.

Joe
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I'm no expert, PLUS, I'm 59 and do not move like I use to. I would study up hard on what it is to be a "Gray Man." There are videos on YouTube and books on Amazon abt what it takes to be a gray man.

What you need to do is to not attract attention. Bad guys/girls and thugs are looking for easy targets. Do not look like an easy target. That does not mean you need a pool queue with you everywhere you go.

When you go to the big city, don't get off at the wrong exit. Don't be at a gas station on the wrong side of town needing gas at 11PM. If you're "downtown" don't look up at the tops of the 50 story buildings like it's the first time you ever saw one. Pay attention to people.... don't bump in to people. Don't converse with strangers at all...just keep walking, and set them on ignore.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
attach several Spyderco Tasman Salt knives to your clothes and walk around like that
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
SpyderEdgeForever

shunsui wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:22 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
You just need to tone it down a bit.

I used to live in a beach community and would go to a local coffee shop all the time.
I just made a point of cleanly slicing some cartoon or the weekend football TV schedule out of the newspaper with my Endura every day.

Average people don't care, bad guys notice you aren't their first choice.
That is exactly what I was wondering about, thank you. That sends a clear message to the potential attacker, without being too overboard.