Lc200n Manix 2 LW Interest Poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you be interested in a Lc200n Manix 2 LW

YES
76%
NO
24%

Total votes: 141

Quindl

Re: Lc200n Manix 2 LW Interest Poll

Post by Quindl »

A model in the salt series (especially with this steel that's more of a work horse than h1) that's on a more ergonomic, full sized knife would be amazing
ctrikard

Post by ctrikard »

I love the idea of a manix 2 lw salt with lc200n. Though I pray they dont get rid of the CBBL. I dont see how anyone thinks its difficult to use. I think it's one of the easiest locks spyderco makes to use. Very fast easy deployment and retraction with the cbbl. And the blade just drops shut on my manix 2. I'd love to see the industry move away from back locks all together really and I think we see that happening more and more now. Not to many knife companies left that even use them anymore. They're just not appealing to me personally. I know some people like them. Although I can't understand for the life of me why. When there are so many other locks much more easy to manipulate that are also plenty strong. Ceramic ball bearing. Rustproof spring and back space and were good to go. But I imagine we will see a para 3 lw salt well before they ever do a manix 2 salt. It just seems like the next logical step being that all they have to do is make a partial liner out of lc200n and the blade on a P3 LW and poof theres your salt knife.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

This has to be coming at some point. I assume a Para 3 LW Salt is inevitable as well. Hopefully in 2019! I will be buying both. Please offer DLC/Black FRN options for these as well as bringing that option to the Native Salt!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

ctrikard wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:41 pm
I'd love to see the industry move away from back locks all together really and I think we see that happening more and more now. Not to many knife companies left that even use them anymore. They're just not appealing to me personally. I know some people like them. Although I can't understand for the life of me why. When there are so many other locks much more easy to manipulate that are also plenty strong.
I'm a die hard lockback guy.

SAFETY is why. I have never had a lockback come open on me when I didn't want it to. I have had liner locks, compression locks, framelocks and an axis lock come open when they were in my pocket, waistband or hiking pack. I care a lot more about not getting stabbed when reaching into my pocket than I do any other benefit of a certain lock type.

I've never found them difficult to operate with either hand. I've never needed to use two hands to open or close any Spyderco lockback or Cold Steel Tri-Ad lock. I'm less concerned with raw strength of a lock as I am safety.

I wish more companies used them.
:unicorn
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:00 pm

SAFETY is why. I have never had a lockback come open on me when I didn't want it to. I have had liner locks, compression locks, framelocks and an axis lock come open when they were in my pocket, waistband or hiking pack. I care a lot more about not getting stabbed when reaching into my pocket than I do any other benefit of a certain lock type.
Not really arguing, but I've never had a CBBL (manix) come open on me when I didn't want it to.

I have had a lockback (ladybug) come open on me when I didn't want it to, though. I bought a kydex sheath for my keychain knife (ladybug) as a result.

I think it was catching on other keys that opened the knife, and not the fault of the lock, but honestly, anything can come open if it's in a pocket or pack.
vivi

Post by vivi »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:21 pm
Vivi wrote:

Not really arguing, but I've never had a CBBL (manix) come open on me when I didn't want it to.

I have had a lockback (ladybug) come open on me when I didn't want it to, though. I bought a kydex sheath for my keychain knife (ladybug) as a result.

I think it was catching on other keys that opened the knife, and not the fault of the lock, but honestly, anything can come open if it's in a pocket or pack.
I haven't had the CBBL open on me either. It's one of the only locks I'll buy aside from lockbacks. Tri-ad is the other. Open to trying a Powerlock as well.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Lock backs are my first choice because they are safer. They have a bias towards close, and they are stronger. The CBBL is so far my second choice. Time will tell. However, the CBBL does not have quite as strong of a bias to close, though it is strong.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

lw lockbacks tend to have more play or at least feel less stable/secure when open than cbbl or comp locks. the native salt is the strongest example i have of a lw lockbacks, so i’d be inclined to believe a manix lw backlock would be fine. however, i definitely prefer the cbbl.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Just skimmed through the posts in that thread rather quickly, but it seems most of what I am thinking is already said.

So just summarizing:

- I am not really interested in another Manix 2 generally. Had one, liked the ergos and the CBBL, but it just offered too little actual cutting edge for the rather large overall package
- Since very recently (there have been several threads and posts discussing that) I am much more interested in the Manix XL. Never had looked into that model, now I see that it is not really that much bigger when closed than the regular Manix, but offers a lot more edge generally and proportionally. I have no final opinion on the XL though, since I never handled one, but I am pretty sure I´d like to see a lightweight (similiar to the Manix 2 LW) version of it
- Also I have no real opinion both on the LC 200 and on totally rustproof versions to be honest: I never had any rust problems with my VG10 or S30V knives. Admittedly, I am not living close to the sea or in a very salty enviroment. But I carry my knives quite often for a whole day in a totally rain soken pocket or pack, or in shorts when running and sweating a lot, no problems there. The only time I had rust spots on a VG 10 blade was when I was cutting sheeps cheese that was kept in a very salty liquid with my Delica, did not wipe off the blade, and stored the knife for a month or so.
- As for the lock: I prefer a (good) backlock, whenever I can get one. As far as I can remember, the CBBL on my Manix 2 (which I did not have for a very long time) could be my second favorite Spyderco lock, so I´d take both in a Manix. Still, a liner lock never opened on me unnoticed while the knife was in the pocket, an axxis lock did twice.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:25 pm
lw lockbacks tend to have more play or at least feel less stable/secure when open than cbbl or comp locks. the native salt is the strongest example i have of a lw lockbacks, so i’d be inclined to believe a manix lw backlock would be fine. however, i definitely prefer the cbbl.
While I don´t mind the tiny bit of "lock rock" that sometimes occurs in Delicas, Enduras and so on, I am with you on that the Native LWs backlock is done incedibly well and definitely feels more solid (though I think it is not literally "stronger" when it comes to lock failure or the like, both the Endura and the Native backlock willl never fail on you I guess).
Same is true for the Chap backlock.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Tims

Post by Tims »

Yes but I’m going to need to see some screws .
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Tims wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:11 am
Yes but I’m going to need to see some screws .

Agreed! Definitely needs a CQI update to screws.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:54 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:25 pm
While I don´t mind the tiny bit of "lock rock" that sometimes occurs in Delicas, Enduras and so on, I am with you on that the Native LWs backlock is done incedibly well and definitely feels more solid (though I think it is not literally "stronger" when it comes to lock failure or the like, both the Endura and the Native backlock willl never fail on you I guess).
Same is true for the Chap backlock.
agreed.

Tims wrote:Yes but I’m going to need to see some screws .
please!
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Vivi wrote:

SAFETY is why. I have never had a lockback come open on me when I didn't want it to.
That's funny. Safety is partly why I choose other locks over the back lock, especially if I have wet hands. Back locks are the only knives that ever snapped closed when I didn't want them to. Have you ever began opening your knife and had your finger(s) slip off the blade? With any other lock, you simply get a partial knife opening. With a back lock, that sucker is snapping right back closed... and you better hope no fingers are in the way.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:38 am
Vivi wrote:

SAFETY is why. I have never had a lockback come open on me when I didn't want it to.
That's funny. Safety is partly why I choose other locks over the back lock, especially if I have wet hands. Back locks are the only knives that ever snapped closed when I didn't want them to. Have you ever began opening your knife and had your finger(s) slip off the blade? With any other lock, you simply get a partial knife opening. With a back lock, that sucker is snapping right back closed... and you better hope no fingers are in the way.

It really is two scenarios, I've had both happen to me. The only lock that has EVER disengaged on me while in use was a back lock, but that knife was a legit back back lock and not the mid lock style that Spyderco uses, and it disengaged because I had a very tight grip on the knife and was stabbing with it (not a person I promise lol). But, that knife came unlocked and folded closed onto my pinky and severed a nerve and to this day probably 30 years later I have no feeling in the side of that finger and a nice scar from it. I've been nervous about back locks ever since, but to be fair Spyderco's mid lock is far more secure, and if anything else I learned not to grip so tight when stabbing something (or just avoid stabbing things in general).

I've also experienced the "snap closed and cut me" ordeal with my Kiwi 3 and 4, both of them cut me pretty good. The close bias is a two way street in that regard, it definitely keeps them safer once they're shut but you need to be very careful when they're closing, more so than with other knives. I've seen comments about people not liking a compression lock's blade swinging shut but at least I have full control over that happening. I'm sure most will argue that it's all in what you're used to, but I have at least 30-35 years of experience with back locks so if I haven't learned how to handle them by now I don't think I ever will, or it could just mean it can happen to anyone.

I've had two knives open in my pocket....one was a Para 2, the other was a Ladybug, so I've got two different lock types that have opened on me and one was a back lock so I can't fully support that argument.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Alabaster

Post by Alabaster »

I voted yes, but I would really like an lc200n endura as well :cool:
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've never had issues with the blade closing on me when I'm opening a backlock, but I can certainly appreciate the possibility is there.

The only knife I've had that happen with was my Szabo folder when it was brand new. I'm still amazed at how stiff that knife was at first. Works great after breaking in at least.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i've had it happen with my native salt. the backlock is really stiff on it and it closed on me. i didn't get cut but the blade did slide across my finger tips. sounds like i was luckier than some others here.

maybe we should be asking for a compression lock manix 2 salt. that would be a dream come true. this is why i should love the caribbean, but i don't like the grip. the manix, however, is perfect for my hand and rides better in the pocket from the looks of it. i really should just get a caribbean to try out and see if i can get past the aesthetics and grip shape.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Yes, this is a match made in heaven! I don’t want a back lock though. LC 200N, CBBL, and the wire clip. If we could get FRCP in a translucent yellow even better. Screws not pins as in the other lightweights.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

kodai78 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:01 pm
Yes, this is a match made in heaven! I don’t want a back lock though. LC 200N, CBBL, and the wire clip. If we could get FRCP in a translucent yellow even better. Screws not pins as in the other lightweights.

We want screws! Nuts and bolts, nuts and bolts, we want screws!! :)