Asking for help, for a second time!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Gump12

Asking for help, for a second time!

Post by Gump12 »

Hi Gents,

You guys were awesome for advice on my first ever knife purchase.

I am now onto my second knife and this one will be an EDC knife whereas the last was a rescue.

I have been wanting to get a UKPK for absolutely ages (fits all legal requirements where I live).

I'm not sure if we are allowed to do links, however as its a link to a knife exclusive to the website I dont think there should be any issues.

https://www.heinnie.com/spyderco-heinni ... nknife-g10

Spyderco Heinnie Haynes® UK Penknife G10 with red scales and CPM S30V steel for £80

or do I pay £111 and get the Spyderco UK Penknife Lightweight Dark Blue CPM S110V?

Which steel is better? I was about to buy the dark blue one until I saw the limited run red knife.

Whats your views guys!?
SG89

Re: Asking for help, for a second time!

Post by SG89 »

Get the exclusive while you can. The regular production knife can wait.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Do you have a preference between FRN and G-10?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Ric

Post by Ric »

Like Spydergirl88 said, get the exclusive first.

For that price I would get both!

S110V is harder to sharpen than S30V...
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Get the exclusive while you can. It’s been years since G10 UKPK’s we’re being made and might never be made again. It’s the best version of the ukpk to date, you won’t be disappointed.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Gump12 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:08 pm
Which steel is better?
That will depend not only on the applications but in your sharpening skills and equipment as well.
Not saying you can't sharpen but as you're asking advice for a second knife I'm assuming you don't have much experience with it (sorry if I'm wrong).
I see many people who are new to knives trying to get the latest, best edge retention, hottest steel... on my opinion that's a trap.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I'm with the others, get the red G10 handle exclusive while you can. S110V will have better edge retention, but S30V is still a darn good steel. G10 and S30V is a better overall package than S110V and FRN, IMO.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Yeah I'd totally go with what others have said and snag the exclusive while you can, I'm pretty much at the point where I'll only spend on exclusives/sprints because I reckon I can always get a stock model.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Gump12

Post by Gump12 »

Guys, thanks for the super fast response. As I said, I am new! I am using the spyderco sharp maker and have very limited experience. I have heard g10 bound around lots before but again I havn't had much hands on with different knifes.

Thanks for the super fast responses, I will get it on my next payday! :D

Thanks for all the help guys :)
ihped1

Post by ihped1 »

Definitely get the Heinnie Haynes exclusive. I liked it so much I bought a second after I got the first.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Heinnie Haynes. Very good knife. See the long thread on it. The regular one is awesome too, so don’t think it isn’t.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

Seeing as how you're new, s30v is honestly no steel to scoff at. It's far better than steels like 8cr13mov for instance. And it really is a joy to sharpen. If you're looking to branch out and try other kinds make sure you look for ones that are on the easy side in terms of bringing a crisp edge back. As you practice you'll get to a point where you can work with super steels and maybe get the necessary equipment needed to sharpen.

As far as the handles go, G10 is fantastic. It feels solid and substantial. I love frn, but g10 is great.
I've also heard that the exclusive has a CQI'd back spring. So that's something to keep in mind too.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

How is the back spring on this knife? Is it strong and snappy like the Pingo, or easy and mushy like the Tern and Squeak?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

One more vote for the G10 model. In my opinion all G10 UKPKs are a classic combination and will be highly sought-after when they sell out. Also, I think S30V should be more than adequate for the type of cutting you'd likely be doing with a knife that size. If you like it you could always pick up the lightweight S110V model and give that steel a try later on.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:13 pm
How is the back spring on this knife? Is it strong and snappy like the Pingo, or easy and mushy like the Tern and Squeak?
Strong and snappy. Better half stop than previous versions as well.

OP - you can’t go wrong with any of the current UKPK’s. The HH version is a limited run and definitely worth getting whilst it’s still available.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

The action is perfect. It stays open strongly and opens easily.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Gump12

Post by Gump12 »

You guys have spoken, I have listened! I just bought it :D
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Good choice 👍
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

I didnt read the other replies, ill just give my own thoughts. S30V will be a better steel for MOST people. Its far easier to work with than S110V. S110V is significantly harder, which makes sharpening quite a bit more challenging, and you really should look at diamond abrasives for that reason. It holds its edge a really long time though. For a regular guy ( me) the S30V is much easier to work with BUT, the S110V is an EDC for me. Every single day no matter what is in my other pocket. I learned how to work the S110V and diamond abrasives and LOVE it! If you are an experienced sharpener the S110V is in the super steel class that can really frustrate some people. (Like maxamet) but i find it very rewarding once i learned to work with it. I hope this helps you on your journey! Be blessed!
Native 5 S110V G10 and LW. S90V LW. Salt LC200N. Maxamet. S30V G10 and LW. Endura 4 ZDP-189. HAP40. VG10.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This knife sounds nice. That bright red is too much for me, though. Darker would have been more to my taste. Still, a lot of people love this color of G10 and it is a nice knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050