Hiking knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ed Ricketts

Re: Hiking knife

Post by Ed Ricketts »

i apparently wasn't paying very close attention when i first read this thread. Just a moment ago, i read again and realized it's the OP who made the comment about the 5" Perrin "not ideal for the woods". ???
If you have already decided you don't care for it, or not for certain purposes, fine. It should go without saying: Carry & use what you jolly well please. But I am genuinely puzzled. I've always found it an excellent smallish-medium all-rounder...woods or otherwise. (And i like that it gives a lotta bang for the buck compared to some others.)
No offense or quarrel is intended, but what do you see as it's shortcomings for the woods?
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:44 am
I'm surprised you, OP and others are writing off the Street Bowie without trying it for this use.
Like I said, the huge choil just seems suboptimal. I kind of am assuming OP is asking for a fixed blade because the folders he owns are also suboptimal for his hiking needs. Maybe he just wants to buy another knife he doesn't need. But if I was designing a fixed blade for lots of cutting I wouldn't have that choil. I'm sure it works fine for light use.

Vivi wrote:
Same thing with the Ark. Try it before writing it off. It will handle typical hiking chores. You won't notice the size or weight at all.
Anything an Ark can do a small folder can do. I'm assuming he's buying a fixed blade because he either needs something sturdier than a folder or something with a more ergonomic grip than a folder can offer.

Wait... aren't you the guy who won't buy a sub-4" folder? What universe are we living in??? :)
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Gurney Halleck wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:39 am
Bill1170 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:31 am
I’m surprised no one yet has suggested the Temperance 2. It is 5” of full flat ground VG-10 with a grippy micarta handle and a sheath. Might be too pricey for the OP, but it’s a great all around fixed blade.
I've been looking for a Temperance 2 for a while. Do you have any leads on where to find one?
It looks like it may be discontinued? Oh dear, that is a shame if true. There’s always the secondary market. I’ll look around.

Edited to add that several T2’s have sold recently on the BladeForums Exchange at around $200.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Gurney Halleck wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:39 am
Bill1170 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:31 am
I’m surprised no one yet has suggested the Temperance 2. It is 5” of full flat ground VG-10 with a grippy micarta handle and a sheath. Might be too pricey for the OP, but it’s a great all around fixed blade.
I've been looking for a Temperance 2 for a while. Do you have any leads on where to find one?
See my post just above this.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

@Vivi:

''Honestly for cutting branches OP would be better served with a $20 fiskars hatchet than a $200 knife with a 4" blade and less optimized weight distribution for chopping.''

You forgot it has to look awesome in pics ;)

''I'm surprised you, OP and others are writing off the Street Bowie without trying it for this use. Sure, if you're going to whittle a log cabin, you can probably find a more optimal handle. But if you're cutting some rope, whittling a few tent pegs, doing some camp food prep, processing small game....it can handle all of these things very well. The grip is comfortable and secure, with a nice palm swell and grippy rubber section, with no guard to get in the way. It's served me well for years. OP says he owns one already, so why not take it on a hike and try it out before spending more money? ''

I love the Street Bowie,but for the woods it's like gong off road with a hot hatch.It can be done,but where is the fun in that?
As for spending more money-come on!Al of us here are buying way more knives then we will ever need.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Ed Ricketts wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:25 pm
i apparently wasn't paying very close attention when i first read this thread. Just a moment ago, i read again and realized it's the OP who made the comment about the 5" Perrin "not ideal for the woods". ???
If you have already decided you don't care for it, or not for certain purposes, fine. It should go without saying: Carry & use what you jolly well please. But I am genuinely puzzled. I've always found it an excellent smallish-medium all-rounder...woods or otherwise. (And i like that it gives a lotta bang for the buck compared to some others.)
No offense or quarrel is intended, but what do you see as it's shortcomings for the woods?
The large choil put's a lot of pressure on the index finger.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

zhyla wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:31 pm
Vivi wrote:
I'm surprised you, OP and others are writing off the Street Bowie without trying it for this use.
Maybe he just wants to buy another knife he doesn't need.

You got me :)
I'm hunting a Temperance first gen on the secondary market right now.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have carried the Street Beat in the woods a lot and done a good bit of wood carving with it. The finger groove has never bothered me at all. I actually really like it. I wish they made a micarta Street Bowie.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

spyderwolf wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:40 am
zhyla wrote:
Vivi wrote:

Too bad you aren't in Norway. 1. gens Temps are nice :)
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

OP: “Hiking knife”

I don’t read this as anything but asking for opinions concerning knives and hiking, not bushwhacking.

I hiked and backpacked in various places for about forty years off and on, carried many different knives too. But, like Vivi, I was also otherwise prepared to survive for a few days if weather or stupid trail finding were to intervene. Minimal lightweight shelter, usually a bivi sack and waterproof tarp with 50’ of para cord, emergency rations. Fishing kit in a small tin box. Svea stove.

Anyway, over the years I finally gave up fixed blades finding them unnecessary, falling back on my old SAK.

I’d say carry what pleases you.

(Pig sticker? Anyone who is going to try to stick a wild pig with a knife has my deepest sympathy). Find a tree. Quick. :D

If I were to buy a fixed blade suitable for all of the hiking and fishing I would be likely to do (leaving out other obvious tasks) it would be a Waterway.
Last edited by MichaelScott on Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

MichaelScott wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:53 am
(Pig sticker? Anyone who is going to try to stick a wild pig with a knife has my deepest sympathy). Find a tree. Quick.
I was being facetious because wolves and pigs were mentioned in the context of choosing a knife. I thought that was fairly obvious. I'm surprised you thought that was a serious comment. :confused:
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

No, mine wasn’t serious either. I hoped it was in the same vein as yours. My attempts at humor can be a bit off the wall sometimes. Sorry.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
vivi

Post by vivi »

spyderwolf wrote:
zhyla wrote:
Vivi wrote:

Arizona Custom Knives used to have a bunch of Temps in stock for about $80, but it looks like they're sold out now. Good luck on your hunt!
:unicorn
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:09 pm
spyderwolf wrote:
zhyla wrote:
Vivi wrote:

Arizona Custom Knives used to have a bunch of Temps in stock for about $80, but it looks like they're sold out now. Good luck on your hunt!
Thanks