Screw Sizes / please post if you have them !

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ferider

Screw Sizes / please post if you have them !

Post by ferider »

I figured we could get a thread going on different Spyderco screw sizes. Frequently google'ed subject, ebay sellers make a fortune selling them, and the factory screws are not really standard sizes :)

I'll add/correct this OP as we go.

Clip Screws

I'll only list size, not length or head type, as this largely depends on the exact model, and length is tricky if you carry the knife tip down, possibly use custom scales and/or clip, and don't want to damage the washers (I don't want to be responsible if you do :) ). For example, the Manix 2 has T8 heads, the Para 3 has T6. Fluted Ti Military has shorter clip screws than the G10 version, single liner Military has Philips heads, MXP screws are longer than stock, etc. So this is the only list that can be generalized, IMHO:

• US #2-56
  • Japan: M2.3 x 0.4
  • Taiwan: M2 x 0.4.
Scale and Pivot screws:
  • Paramilitary 2, Para 3, steel-lined Manix 2 / XL, steel-lined Native 5:
    • Scale screws are 4-40, 1/5 inch long, 100 degree T8 flat-head
    • Pivot screws are 6-32, 1/5 inch long, 100 degree T10 flat-head
  • Military
    • The new G10 and plain Ti Military (2017+) Scale screws are 4-40, 1/5 inch long, 100 degree T8 flat-head (same as Paramilitary/Manix)
    • The new Military has two 8-32 T15 button-head Pivot screws (.235 inch long).
    • The old plain Ti and double liner G10 Military has 2-56 T6 Scale screws (.185 inch long)
    • Both old and new fluted Ti Militaries have T8 button head scale screws, I believe 4-40, not sure about the length (anybody?)
    • The old double liner Military single Pivot screw is also 8-32 T15, but a little longer (.263 inch).
    • The classic single liner Military single Pivot screw is also T15, but has a finer thread than newer Militaries (anybody?)
  • Others ?
Thanks,

Roland.
abbazaba

Re: Screw Sizes / please post if you have them !

Post by abbazaba »

Great idea!
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Useful thread.
Thank you Roland!
👍
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I would love to know the specs on the post/screw things (what are they actually called?) that attach the G-Clip. Does anyone have those?
ferider

Post by ferider »

I have a couple at home, Tom. Let me measure and get back to you.
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Para 3 lightweight? 🤔
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I like this idea, I think it should be merged with the other thread that's listing clip hole patterns. I also strongly recommend the "wiggle fit" method...I know what some screw sizes are supposed to be but I will try a few different bits (even bits of the same size) to see which ones fit the best and then use that bit regardless of what size it is. This is especially important if you have cheaper bits, as they will often vary slightly in size so even though it's supposed to be a T8 you may find that a T9 is a more snug fit. Just make sure the bit goes all the way into the screw and has the least amount of wiggle.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jacala

Post by jacala »

Can somebody tell me the screw size for the pocket clip screws on a Spyderco Smock please .
I'm using a Lynch clip btw.
I like to keep a few spares- just in case.
Thanks.
Edit: Screw size is M2 x 4mm thread length.Pan head on screw.Stainless polished finish.
I ordered the smallest batch I could find: Qty.80 ea Free shipping.Total= $6.45 AUD
Jedquirl

Post by Jedquirl »

Anyone know if the pivot screws on the Shaman are the same size as the Paramilitary 2 and Manic 2?
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Useful theme, IMHO
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

Thank you for this thread. I figured out that screws in Smock clip must be metric, because thread doesn't match those on screws used in Golden models or in Benchmade. What's more funny, Smock clip has different screws placement than in Para 3. So you can't switch them.

Metric thread is actually better for me, because in Europe we don't have that easy access to small inch screws, but clip thing is little annoying. I had to make bigger holes in ti clip which fits Para 3, to put it on Smock.

Smock pocket clip screws are standard M2 screws, 6 mm long, where head is 1 mm long, and 3,2 mm diameter.

Pocket clip screws used in Endura, Para 3, PM2, can be used also on Benchmade.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Caribbean?
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

How do I determine what size these small screws are, when I pull one from a knife and have it in my hand? The angle of the head? Not certain how to get this detailed information. Would like to help.

It's a great idea for a thread (no pun intended!) and we should bump it occasionally.
dlanders80

Post by dlanders80 »

Just bought a Tenacious, want to change clip location, so I need to know what size the screw heads are. Anyone??
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear dlanders80:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

The standard clip screw size for the Tenacious has been a Torx T-6 for a number of years. Older, original models were 1.5mm Allen head.

Stay safe,

Mike
Bennzzzo

Post by Bennzzzo »

Has anyone ever put these into a spread sheet? 🙏🏼
spinynorman

Post by spinynorman »

I know this is quite an old thread, but very relevant to me at the moment, since I have a new Caribbean that I can't mount the pocket clip on the left side - the screws are too short.

The screws measure .076" major diameter.

I bought some longer 2-56 screws on eBay, which I thought was the right size, but they're too big - .085" major diameter.

Does anyone know the correct screw size for the Caribbean??

Thanks, Doug
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

spinynorman wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:44 pm
I know this is quite an old thread, but very relevant to me at the moment, since I have a new Caribbean that I can't mount the pocket clip on the left side - the screws are too short.

The screws measure .076" major diameter.

I bought some longer 2-56 screws on eBay, which I thought was the right size, but they're too big - .085" major diameter.

Does anyone know the correct screw size for the Caribbean??

Thanks, Doug
Old but useful, I've used it many times before kindof buying every thread options for imperial and metric system :squinting-tongue

Taïchung uses M2 for clip screws most of the time, sometimes M2.3. I don't have the Carribean to check but since you've said 0.76", it's definitely M2.

I've created a kit with every screw size Spyderco uses, from Golden, Seki, China and Taïchung. I just can't find any 6-32 screws with the right countersunk head :disappointed .
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
spinynorman

Post by spinynorman »

Ramonade wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:30 pm

Old but useful, I've used it many times before kindof buying every thread options for imperial and metric system :squinting-tongue

Taïchung uses M2 for clip screws most of the time, sometimes M2.3. I don't have the Carribean to check but since you've said 0.76", it's definitely M2.

I've created a kit with every screw size Spyderco uses, from Golden, Seki, China and Taïchung. I just can't find any 6-32 screws with the right countersunk head :disappointed .
Thank you so much for the info Ramonade, I think I'll start looking for some longer M2 screws!

Cheers, Doug
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

spinynorman wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:26 pm
Ramonade wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:30 pm

Thank you so much for the info Ramonade, I think I'll start looking for some longer M2 screws!

Cheers, Doug
No worries, I went crazy on screws personally :rofl

:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds