Records.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JonLeBlanc

Re: Records.

Post by JonLeBlanc »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:30 pm
Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:56 pm
JD

Budgie..Never turn your back on a friend...

The song "Parents" is one of all time favourites...
Tony Bourge using a Gibson 335... and a lotta talent.
Yeah I had 3 of the Budgie albums at one time. The Brits had a lot of great groups that for whatever reason never really took off here in the USA :confused: . The glam rock group "Roxy Music" was another one of my top favorites and I still listen to a lot of their tunes. Roxy Music's album "SIREN" is one of my top 10 best albums of all time. To me it was Roxy Music's very best and they had some good ones.
The one Budgie album I had that everyone always loved to listen to was Armageddon. It's nothing short of incredible how much vast influence in music that the British groups had. Oh by the way guess the name of the lady who is on the SIREN LP>> she's more popular than you might think but it's hard to recognize her on that album cover.
Oh Roxy Music... they just oozed sophistication :D They lost a lot when Brian Eno moved on; his talent can't be overstated.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:55 pm
Daveho wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:22 pm
David looking so elegant
Such a great album, definitely in my top 3 for Bowie-
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I hadn’t realised this thread had turned into a Bowie appreciation one! One of the greats, definitely. As for JD’s Roxy Music - a fantastic band and music, and possibly the coolest lead singer in history in Bryan Ferry.

I think it’s easy to forget how crap some LP pressings were. As a student I spent as much as I could afford on hi-fi gear, but the poor quality pressings, scratches, static and wear on LP’s were a pain I never missed. Browsing through second hand record shops was great fun, however, and ironically something my 16 yo daughter has now got into.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

They certainly can be pretty woeful if they are abused but that said it adds something when you can pick up that 40 year old LP that’s been looked after well and plays beautifully.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Daveho wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:39 pm
I’ve just pulled the trigger on a Vm-95e/h audio technica is substantially easier to find locally so that’s a safe bet plus the interchangeable stylii is an easy way to try out some options.

It's hard to argue with the quality you get for just a few bucks in the basic A/T carts, but the VM 540ML (least expensive cart with a micro-line stylus) is money well spent if you really love vinyl. More detail, better playback from worn records and an overall improvement in realism. In the US they seem to be going for $250.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

awa54 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:10 am
Daveho wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:39 pm
I’ve just pulled the trigger on a Vm-95e/h audio technica is substantially easier to find locally so that’s a safe bet plus the interchangeable stylii is an easy way to try out some options.

It's hard to argue with the quality you get for just a few bucks in the basic A/T carts, but the VM 540ML (least expensive cart with a micro-line stylus) is money well spent if you really love vinyl. More detail, better playback from worn records and an overall improvement in realism. In the US they seem to be going for $250.
I actually went with the VM series as it replaces the old AT lineup and you can get a basic conical through to a Shibata, though the ML does look to be the pick of the lot as far as value goes.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Mick Ronson- heaven and hull
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Daveho wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:47 am

Mick Ronson- heaven and hull
I never owned that Mick Ronson LP. But I'm most definitely going to check it out later this week when I get some spare time. The 2 times I saw Mick Ronson in concert I was extremely impressed both times. He's one of those behind the scenes type artists that I don't feel got the respect he was due because he was most of the time in the backdrop of most rock acts.

I would also put Martin Lancelot Barre in that same category. Even the most ardent rock fans have little or no idea who Martin Lancelot Barre is>> Well he was the guitar god/genius of the powerhouse English Rock sensation JETHRO TULL. And he was the only band member to stay with the group all the years that Ian Anderson ( the lead singer, acoustic guitarist) of JETHRO TULL kept the group going. So all the great guitar work you've heard on all of the JETHRO TULL albums was done by Martin Lancelot Barre>> truly a guitar genius by anyone's standards>> and well respected among his peers.

You could probably add Robert Fripp to that mix as well. He was the guitarist and genius head of the group KING CRIMSON. Yeah there were some great ones that pretty much stayed in the backdrop of some great bands throughout the years.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Few more for the collection, gotta love deals :)
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I grabbed DEVO as a bit of break from Bowie

And then I found out who produced it... Eno and Bowie.

Did anyone do anything in the 70s Bowie didn’t help with? I mean seriously it seems like he was omnipresent.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I always loved Mongoloid. Punk rock really.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:34 am
I always loved Mongoloid. Punk rock really.
It is a great track, wouldn’t get away with it no however...or ten years ago really but between DEVO, Lou Reed and Iggy pop you can really see see (and hear) punk coming.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Out with the old-
Just swapped out the factory head shell and cartridge for a more modern one-
Though the Audio Technica is a cheapie in the scheme of these things it sounds very neutral, colour me impressed.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I was just at my local "Barnes & Noble" book store a couple of weeks back and I spoke to them again about the sales of their vinyl LP record albums. They informed me that the sales of those 33rpm vinyl LPs are steadily going up. They also told me that they won't reserve an LP for anyone unless they pay at least a third of what it costs. It is amazing that this old technology is making a comeback.

Again going back to the book I told you all about written by David Bowie's old drummer Mick (Woody) Woodmansey. He wrote it right after David Bowie passed away. There are some great photos in the book when the band first started.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Bob Dylan’s blonde on blonde and 2pac greatest hits-
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Love this album