3V or 4V Steel in a folder.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Deadboxhero

Re: 3V or 4V Steel in a folder.

Post by Deadboxhero »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:32 pm
With all of this chatter about 3V and 4V, has anyone brought up S7?

S7 is at least 300% more tough than 3V.
S5 would actually be tougher, S7 gets all the glory
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:05 pm
Naperville wrote:

I'm not 100% sure but I don't recall ever hearing abt S5 other than this thread.

Thanks!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:05 pm
Naperville wrote:

Or we could get Sal to license Infi from Jerry Busse and really have ourselves a tough folder!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

I'd still rather have 4V in a folder
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Where would mild carbon steels like 1045 stack up to those steels in toughness?
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:43 pm

I'd still rather have 4V in a folder

Between your and Chad's shilling of 4V in this thread and the other 3V thread you have managed to help sell out the last of the Fradon Lock 4V Manixes and send the average sale price of the 4V Para 3 from ~$250 to $350+! You guy are market movers!!! :D

St. Nick's better make sure their website is ready for a 2 minute sellout when they drop that rumored 4V PM2!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Pelagic wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:29 am
No, the alloy additions in S5, A8mod etc helps the steel by preventing brittle structures from forming in there absence.
The mechanics are explained in depth with Larrin's articles, I highly recommend giving it a through read.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:31 am
Pelagic wrote:
No, the alloy additions in S5, A8mod etc helps the steel by preventing brittle structures from forming in there absence.
The mechanics are explained in depth with Larrin's articles, I highly recommend giving it a through read.
Lol, I rarely get an answer from you. I do appreciate the vast knowledge you drop, you just go off topic. My question on 3v's capabilities yielded much more info on 52100 and 4v than 3V. And now I'm left not knowing how simple carbon steels like 1045 stack up to the aforementioned ones. I didn't announce that 1045 would be tougher than s5, but that seems to be how you took the question. I already knew which had better toughness. I've read most of Larrin's articles but not all, can you remember the title to it by chance? You don't have to link me, if I know what it's called I can find it. Thank you.

Disclaimer: I feel I must say this because my posts often offend people here. I am not trying to be a smart*** to you Shawn. My view on reality is not perfect of course, but I call it like I see it and always will. I absolutely appreciate your contributions to the community and am aware of the blood sweat and tears you've experienced to get where you are now.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:15 am
[... You guy are market movers!!! :D..
LOL! Truth is powerful stuff!

Joking aside, this reminds me of a great point... one that dovetails into Sal's concept of leaving "shiny footprints" IMO.

First a little digression... A VERY wise man once told me "truth is the most important thing we have" . He explained that every thought we have and every decision we make comes from what we know..what we've seen..what we've experienced..what we've learned and understand to be "true". We all make the best decisions we can based on what we know to be true. If information we believe to be true is actually false, we are likely to make a bad decision with good intentions because we weren't working with accurate and truthful information. Two people with the same outlook, same intellect and the same intentions can reach opposite conclusions if given opposite information that they both believe to be true. The truth is not just powerful, it's the core and basis for everything! That lesson has stuck with me since the day I was lucky enough to hear it. In all aspects of life, it has been a very helpful concept to think consciously about.

I'm not sure that anything Shawn or I have said actually moved any knives off any shelves, but I will use this opportunity to point out how our words (meaning everyone's words) and actions don't end where we say or write them. The reason I have tried to encourage people to show respect and decency to one another in these conversations is because what we say lives on beyond the moment and has unintended and unexpected consequences (positive and negative). The idea that things said in this thread may have caused knives to be sold could be an example, if that's what happened. But, this speaks to a bigger issues than just knives. If I am rude and make someone here angry, they may very well take that angry attitude into the next conversation they have and the negativity is extended. If I make someone smile, they are likely to take their happy attitude into the next encounter or conversation they have. I could go on with examples, but the point is that our words and actions are not static. They're more like the little waves or ripples in the water that spread out when you throw a rock in a lake. When we become aware of this effect and consciously try to leave positive ripples in our wake we make the world around us a better place to be. In this way, we each make the world we live in..so I want to encourage everyone to make their world a happy and positive place. :)

Sorry for the off-topic digression.

By the way...the wise man was Sal Glesser and the explanation came when I asked about the pendant he wears on his necklace (which is also his avatar). Each hole represents a value or a virtue. For Sal the first hole represents truth. His amazing wife Gail makes them and if you don't know what I'm talking about, check into it. :) :spyder:

Best regards,
Chad
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Deadboxhero wrote:
I feel like A8Mod is a vastly under explored blade material.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I wise man once told me

"you better watch where you get your information from"

Best advice there ever was.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Pelagic wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:24 am
Deadboxhero wrote:
Pelagic wrote:
Lol, I rarely get an answer from you. I do appreciate the vast knowledge you drop, you just go off topic. My question on 3v's capabilities yielded much more info on 52100 and 4v than 3V. And now I'm left not knowing how simple carbon steels like 1045 stack up to the aforementioned ones. I didn't announce that 1045 would be tougher than s5, but that seems to be how you took the question. I already knew which had better toughness. I've read most of Larrin's articles but not all, can you remember the title to it by chance? You don't have to link me, if I know what it's called I can find it. Thank you.

Disclaimer: I feel I must say this because my posts often offend people here. I am not trying to be a smart*** to you Shawn. My view on reality is not perfect of course, but I call it like I see it and always will. I absolutely appreciate your contributions to the community and am aware of the blood sweat and tears you've experienced to get where you are now.
Thanks,
It takes a lot of brain power to answer the finer details of what you're asking. That takes my time, Sometimes I'm simply too busy to answer every question in elaborate

I'm going to have to charge you soon :D

I do what I can. I felt that Larrin had a great article on the finer details on the subject than I can ever do it justice.
It came down to the mechanics of how steel gets hard and tempers and the additional alloys helped with the mechanics of that to make the steel tougher with better structures than simpler 1045

Cheers.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Lol, well if you want to charge me without answering my questions, I suggest sticking to selling knives.

Disclaimer: I sincerely apologize to anyone I've offended.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Pelagic wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:55 pm
Lol, well if you want to charge me without answering my questions, I suggest sticking to selling knives.

Agreed
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
blues

Post by blues »

Sigh...
- Retired from the chase -
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:57 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:55 pm

Agreed
I concur.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Chad, I was going back through this thread and I wanna say thank you for writing up some very useful and informative posts on such a detailed subject.

It is a great help to the community.

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to share.

I know it takes a lot of time and I appreciate it. Good stuff you got in here bro.

Cheers

Xplorer wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:45 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:15 am
[... You guy are market movers!!! :D..
LOL! Truth is powerful stuff!

Joking aside, this reminds me of a great point... one that dovetails into Sal's concept of leaving "shiny footprints" IMO.

First a little digression... A VERY wise man once told me "truth is the most important thing we have" . He explained that every thought we have and every decision we make comes from what we know..what we've seen..what we've experienced..what we've learned and understand to be "true". We all make the best decisions we can based on what we know to be true. If information we believe to be true is actually false, we are likely to make a bad decision with good intentions because we weren't working with accurate and truthful information. Two people with the same outlook, same intellect and the same intentions can reach opposite conclusions if given opposite information that they both believe to be true. The truth is not just powerful, it's the core and basis for everything! That lesson has stuck with me since the day I was lucky enough to hear it. In all aspects of life, it has been a very helpful concept to think consciously about.

I'm not sure that anything Shawn or I have said actually moved any knives off any shelves, but I will use this opportunity to point out how our words (meaning everyone's words) and actions don't end where we say or write them. The reason I have tried to encourage people to show respect and decency to one another in these conversations is because what we say lives on beyond the moment and has unintended and unexpected consequences (positive and negative). The idea that things said in this thread may have caused knives to be sold could be an example, if that's what happened. But, this speaks to a bigger issues than just knives. If I am rude and make someone here angry, they may very well take that angry attitude into the next conversation they have and the negativity is extended. If I make someone smile, they are likely to take their happy attitude into the next encounter or conversation they have. I could go on with examples, but the point is that our words and actions are not static. They're more like the little waves or ripples in the water that spread out when you throw a rock in a lake. When we become aware of this effect and consciously try to leave positive ripples in our wake we make the world around us a better place to be. In this way, we each make the world we live in..so I want to encourage everyone to make their world a happy and positive place. :)

Sorry for the off-topic digression.

By the way...the wise man was Sal Glesser and the explanation came when I asked about the pendant he wears on his necklace (which is also his avatar). Each hole represents a value or a virtue. For Sal the first hole represents truth. His amazing wife Gail makes them and if you don't know what I'm talking about, check into it. :) :spyder:

Best regards,
Chad
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:04 pm
Chad, I was going back through this thread and....
Are you nuts?! :eek: :p

Seriously though, thank you for all you've done here! I sincerely appreciate the time, thought and effort you've been putting into finding new limits in knife steel performance. The fact that you are also sharing your hard earned knowledge here is generous and makes you a good guy in my eyes. But, if you would have only posted that video in the beginning we could have both saved a few hours...just sayin' :p
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Bahahaha.

Yeah huh? Just let the knives do the talking. :D
Xplorer wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:25 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:04 pm
Chad, I was going back through this thread and....
Are you nuts?! :eek: :p

Seriously though, thank you for all you've done here! I sincerely appreciate the time, thought and effort you've been putting into finding new limits in knife steel performance. The fact that you are also sharing your hard earned knowledge here is generous and makes you a good guy in my eyes. But, if you would have only posted that video in the beginning we could have both saved a few hours...just sayin' :p
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives