Chaparral lock bar and spring

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Chaparral lock bar and spring

Post by MichaelScott »

Got my new Chaparral FRN today. It was fine except for the blade action being a bit stiff (no surprise for a new knife) and the lock bar was also difficult to depress. Doing so would leave a groove in my thumb. Following Sharp Guy’s advice I disassembled it, easy enough, cleaned the factory lubricant, moved the lock bar spring forward so that the hump of the spring rested just behind a similar hump on the lock bar. Maybe an eighth of an inch. Lubed the PB washers and reassembled. Now, it is very easy to depress the lock bar and the blade practically falls free with no play.

I suggest that Spyderco improve the lock bar issue by shortening the spring slot or lengthening the spring.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
RazorSharp86

Re: Chaparral lock bar and spring

Post by RazorSharp86 »

I know that I may be a minority but I like the stiff spring on the Chap.
Many people complain, but my calloused don’t.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

RazorSharp86 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:52 pm
I know that I may be a minority but I like the stiff spring on the Chap.
Many people complain, but my calloused don’t.
Yep, it's better to keep it this way, the way some like it, and be adjustable the way others like it, instead of just having one way.

Now what was that about never needing to take a knife apart? :rolleyes:
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

From what I have read the lock bar spring tension is variable. A few are easy, most are difficult to release and a few are just painful. Check Nick’s Chaparral reviews. It’s a gentleman’s folder with a thin, sharply cornered lock bar release. Shouldn’t take excessive force, enough to leave dents in one’s thumb, to operate it.

Best to make it reasonable to begin, then those with calloused thumbs could adjust to whatever pain level they desire.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

I've owned and own several Chaparral knives. Never an issue for me, but I'm glad there's a solution for you folks.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I'm glad the spring turned out to be adjustable for those who want to go that route.

Mine was fairly stiff it first, but at least in my case I found it broke in nicely on its own without any adjustment. Same story with the Baby Horn.
:spyder:
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Mine was very stiff and had pretty sharp edges on the lock bar. That plus how thin the lock bar is was uncomfortable. I was able to adjust the spring and also knocked the edges of the lock bar down with a stone. It's outstanding now but I wouldn't have carried it as it came and I don't have soft hands.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

My Chap LW felt stiff at first compared to the Natives, but softened up very quickly with use. It doesn't bother me at all now.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

Both my Chaps were very stiff at the beginning. The FRN version the most. A bit of oil and opening and closing a lot with a piece of cloth did the trick. They are very smooth now and very easy to unlock. Just need some time to break in.