What's your favorite Spyderco that's a little bit of a "hidden gem?"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ferider

Re: What's your favorite Spyderco that's a little bit of a "hidden gem?"

Post by ferider »

Chinook 4. Everybody knows it but I seem to be the only one who edc’s it.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

UKPK... Heinnie Haynes exclusive to be specific.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Cambertree wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:09 pm
Maybe not so 'hidden', but they don't get the same ongoing fanfare as some other models.

-ZDP189 Dragonfly

-K390 Urban

-SE Drop point UKPK in Gin1.

And I completely agree on the HAP40 Stretch.
I've got the V-TOKU2 Dragonfly and have been very tempted at the ZDP189 as a back up. Well worth the $89 or so I take it? I've never tried that steel either
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

youmakemehole wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:04 pm
► Show Spoiler
^^^Especially if you have recently discovered that your most practical EDC blade style is a small/slim trailing point such as the one found on the Ikuchi. Not sure why there are so many fans of the Ikuchi but not for this lovable little guy? It is almost the same except it has a thicker more robust blade with better steel, and size/ergos that are near perfect for EDC. Is it because it isn't as pretty and has that horrendous stock clip? Literally you take teh Ikuchi, make it smaller more tough more practical and more ergo and you'd get:
► Show Spoiler
I don't EDC three fonger knives. I'd love to see a larger version of the Rhino!
:unicorn
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Police 4.
vivi

Post by vivi »

ferider wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:49 pm
Chinook 4. Everybody knows it but I seem to be the only one who edc’s it.
That's been on my list for a while, but it always gets passed over for something else.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i kind of feel like the yojimbo is a bit of a hidden gem. i suppose it's hiding in plain sight. i completely missed it for a long time and then it was like scales fell off my eyes and it became a useful piece of art. i know it's not an unpopular model, but it doesn't seem to have the following of the pm2, para3, or even the manix. personally, i like it quite a bit more than the other popular compression lock knives that i've tried and it's got a permanent place in my collection.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Nate

Post by Nate »

Baby Horn.
:spyder:
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:03 pm
youmakemehole wrote:
► Show Spoiler
^^^Especially if you have recently discovered that your most practical EDC blade style is a small/slim trailing point such as the one found on the Ikuchi. Not sure why there are so many fans of the Ikuchi but not for this lovable little guy? It is almost the same except it has a thicker more robust blade with better steel, and size/ergos that are near perfect for EDC. Is it because it isn't as pretty and has that horrendous stock clip? Literally you take teh Ikuchi, make it smaller more tough more practical and more ergo and you'd get:
► Show Spoiler
Its a 4 finger knife! Even for some with large hands.
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:19 pm
I've got the V-TOKU2 Dragonfly and have been very tempted at the ZDP189 as a back up. Well worth the $89 or so I take it? I've never tried that steel either
Yeah, I think it's well worth it - it costs more here in Australia of course. You seem to be really enjoying your V-Toku2 Dragonfly, and I'd definitely recommend a ZDP189 knife if you haven't tried one.

I used mine as my primary work knife for about a year, cutting heavy duty double walled cardboard, and bunched up pallet wrap and strapping, peeling apples for lunch etc. Once I counted how many times it came out of my pocket on an average day. I lost track in the last hour, as it was always crazy busy then, but I was already over 70 times by then.

Takes a great edge, you can get it really fine if you want. Holds an acute edge extremely well, even stacked up against more recent PM steels. Surprisingly hardy too. My heart sank when I dropped it blade out on concrete one day and watched it bounce across the floor. I only lost maybe less than a millimetre of tip.

I've thinned mine out a fair bit behind the edge, and never had chipping issues, running it with a light microbevel. If I lost it, I'd replace it immediately without a second thought. I've had all the Dragonfly steel variants except V-Toku2, and the ZDP189 version is the powerhouse of an awesome bunch.
Last edited by Cambertree on Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Although I don’t carry it often, my blue Lava. It’s a great little package opener. And being bright blue makes it look friendlier.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

One Spyderco I own and like, that does not seem to get much fanfare, is the Advocate. Yes, it's a little pricey, but you are getting what amounts to a custom made knife IMO. Mine has always been a perfect example of flawless fit and finish. Never had a single problem with it.

I think all the bad publicity the pre-CQI version got over the washer problem permanently colored people's perception of this great model.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Pretty much unheralded here (except by a few), but hiding in plain sight (with its eye-catching scales), the Caribbean (which may have restrictions on its carry).

Also, hiding the gem that is the C54 Calypso are its many locking and not-locking derivatives (Calys, UKPKs, Urbans) and a length that may restrict its carry.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
silvershade255

Post by silvershade255 »

Sliverax. You get a lot of cutting edge for the size and weight. I epoxied a piece of nylon unto the lock bar of mine and made a poor man's smock button with it, it works incredibly well.

I'd also throw out most schempp designs. They come across as oddities but are actually very well designed.
"Seven for One"
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:47 pm
Unfortunately some fine gentleman acquired it from me surreptitiously and without my authorization at a bar one night, but I had a little stainless Jester CE that was so handy. The perfect box opener. I'm tempted to snag one of the G-10 sprints to replace it but I procrastinate. That's one we don't hear about too much, right? Lol

P.s. Now that I think about it, that was my very first Spyderco! Poor little Jester...
I would recommend against the G10 Jester. It is not a bad knife, but after owning it and an SE FRN version, there is no competition. The difference between SE and PE on that small of a knife is magnified. SE turns it into a destroyer of worlds, where as PE is somewhat lackluster.

I usually prefer PE, just not this one.
wrdwrght wrote: Pretty much unheralded here, except by a few, but hiding in plain sight, the Caribbean.
Best knife Spyderco makes!

Now, what is my favorite hidden gem?

The Baby Horn, hands down.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
vivi

Post by vivi »

youmakemehole wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:56 am
Vivi wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:03 pm
youmakemehole wrote:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Its a 4 finger knife! Even for some with large hands.
Not for me.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

My vote for an off the radar Spydie that outperforms its reputation and should get more love and pocket time (from me as well) is the Kiwi 4.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
anycal

Post by anycal »

I wouldn’t say it is not talked about, but the Mantra fell into that gem category for me, from day one.

That said, the Ikuchi is causing some unrest here, and definitely bumping one from my top five.

Last edited by anycal on Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

My Pacific Salt with serrated-edge. I named it "Shark Man" because it bites like a tiger shark and great white shark combined.
flasharry

Post by flasharry »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:47 pm
MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:44 pm
One-Eyed Jack
Definitely a tough one to beat. Only member here I know that has one, and it's great that you love it!
I have one as well, love it..
"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"