Does anyone else wish for a standard scale color other than black?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Catamount123

Does anyone else wish for a standard scale color other than black?

Post by Catamount123 »

It's always a bit of a bummer when I like everything about a new release, except for the black scales :( I can see keeping it a darker color, but how about navy blue, dark grey, dark green or dark brown?
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
thewoodpecker

Re: Does anyone else wish for a standard scale color other than black?

Post by thewoodpecker »

Yep. Would love to see burgundy, mustard, eggplant, or even some brighter colors as well. More people friendly.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I want to see more Navy Blue FRN.
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:53 am
I want to see more Navy Blue FRN.

I think navy blue would probably be the best alternative to black. Still pretty stealthy and low profile, for those who want, or need, it to be.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I usually dislike black knives.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Yes black is getting boring.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

thewoodpecker wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:50 am
Yep. Would love to see burgundy, mustard, eggplant, or even some brighter colors as well. More people friendly.
Eggplant is the perfect description of the purple I want. White, burgandy and persimmon(Rex45 was close) are also colors I would like to see.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I like basic black, as do, I suspect, most buyers.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I like black as standard. It leaves open room to make special colors to designate upgraded steel, salt models, and sprint runs.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I do get tired of black but I think it’s because it’s the default. If something else was chosen for the default, I’d probably wish for black again. Black is probably the best option for Spyderco, which is why they probably use it.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I like the black but more dark grey like the cruwear pm2 would be nice. The dark blue frn like the bento box lil matriarch is very nice.
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

The Chaparral LW is a good case in point. I'm not aware of anyone complaining that the scales aren't black. It looks like the Sage 5 LW has black scales? Would anyone be upset if they went with the same gray as the Chaparral? It might even be the deciding factor for some who are on the fence about buying one.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

"Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black."

-Henry Ford
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
FK

Post by FK »

I also do not care for black.

In fact, I avoid newly introduced knife designs until Spyderco offers a sprint/exclusive run with other colored scales.

Regards,
FK
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

My aversion to black is mostly that I have an aversion to all things tacticool. I am low speed and high drag myself and have never operated. I realize that black is the default color because it is neutral and is probably the most widely accepted color. Unfortunately I am hung up on my own bias that black knives all trace their lineage to the marketing of modern folders as tactical coolness.

I do make exceptions and honestly find polished black G10 and Micarta very attractive. Black peel ply g10 and black frn not so much.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:41 pm
I do get tired of black but I think it’s because it’s the default. If something else was chosen for the default, I’d probably wish for black again. Black is probably the best option for Spyderco, which is why they probably use it.

+1 Outside of the spydie-nut community most people probably prefer black since they might only be buying one maybe two knives. We get bored with it because we buy a lot of models.

I like what they do with the Pacific Salt which is offered in yellow/satin, black/satin, and black/TicN for both PE and SE. Lots of options for the same steel.

I feel like ideally they should drop an "afi-model" at the same time as the base model for new releases. So for the Chief do a black/S30V, but also drop a grey/cruwear at the same time for the afi community. I know they kind of did that with bluple/S110V, but not all of the models have that combo. Knives like the Manix Backlock may have done better if there was an alternative like grey/cruwear. The Lil Native and Shaman could have benefited from an upgraded model available at launch as well in my opinion.
If no one buys a knife because they are waiting for a sprint/exclusive, it might falsely indicate a lack of interest in a model and lead the dealers overlooking it for an exclusive and the eventual discontinuation. I feel like the Manix XL is headed this way now. People arent excited about black/S30V and have been waiting years for a Cruwear/4V/3V exclusive. Dealers are afraid of an exclusive because of slow sales. Catch 22.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

Many colours in FRN would add to stock costs for dealers. Large dealers could handle that easier than small dealers. Spyderco then has to manage larger manufacturing sku for colours that don't sell as well. I also like other colour choices, as does my wife. I also understand why the choices are limited.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Yes.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:23 pm
My aversion to black is mostly that I have an aversion to all things tacticool. I am low speed and high drag myself and have never operated. I realize that black is the default color because it is neutral and is probably the most widely accepted color. Unfortunately I am hung up on my own bias that black knives all trace their lineage to the marketing of modern folders as tactical coolness.

I do make exceptions and honestly find polished black G10 and Micarta very attractive. Black peel ply g10 and black frn not so much.
That’s and interesting point. Hadn’t really thought of that. Growing up, most knifes were wood (buck 110), red (Swiss army), or natural horn or bone (case).
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

If it were up to me I'd also want a default dark green, burgundy and a white that comes with a RIT dye package, for DIY colors!
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal