What drives me batty

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

What drives me batty

Post by Doc Dan »

The thing that really drives me crazy is that I cannot afford to buy all of the knives that I want from Spyderco. What is worse, just as I decide to pull the trigger on one I have been wanting, Spyderco comes along and tells me one I have been hoping for is soon to be had. AAAHHHH!!!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ZrowsN1s

Re: What drives me batty

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Dude. Every. TIME.

Oh hey that Spyderco you wanted is ready now, BTW that one you've been dreaming about should drop sometime "soon" also. :rolleyes: :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

That's the joy of being picky as ****. No framelocks, liner locks, comp locks, folders with blades under 3.5", I try to avoid designs with thumb ramps.....that cuts out the majority of Spydercos pretty quick ;)
:unicorn
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Yes. And then they reveal something new and exciting we never had a clue about. They hardly give us time to think about them for a while... and bug them as to when it’s coming out :rolleyes:. Life is rough, though the Dragonfly wharnie is pretty cool. :p
- best wishes, Jazz.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:40 am
That's the joy of being picky as ****. No framelocks, liner locks, comp locks, folders with blades under 3.5", I try to avoid designs with thumb ramps.....that cuts out the majority of Spydercos pretty quick ;)
So the Native Chief must be next on the to-buy list. What is it about the Police 4 that caused you to get it despite the thumb ramp, K390?
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I buy mostly used and sell things off as I get bored with them. Much more economical that way. But if I really wanted a Chief then I have to wait for someone to get bored with it first.

Honestly though... I don’t get the obsession beyond just the fun of buying new things. I already have too many to carry all of them. I’d rather spend that energy making a knife or making other things than just endlessly snapping up the next big thing.

Oh but the Kappara sure catches my eye... hmmm...
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Waterway, Native Chief, Coyote Urban LW. The next three. I have to shut my eyes to everything else (but there is that 52100 Manix 2, and...)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:53 pm
The thing that really drives me crazy is that I cannot afford to buy all of the knives that I want from Spyderco. What is worse, just as I decide to pull the trigger on one I have been wanting, Spyderco comes along and tells me one I have been hoping for is soon to be had. AAAHHHH!!!
I feel your pain! I was about to finally buy an Ikuchi and then I heard the Paysan is about to drop... Now I'm conflicted.

I really want the Ikuchi, but the Paysan.........

:confused:
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

They are only knives. The only thing that irks me is when exclusives sell out in six minutes. That is just stupid.

For the most part I have so many knives that in some ways the thrill is gone. If it is meant to be then it will find it's way into the hoard.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:57 am
For the most part I have so many knives that in some ways the thrill is gone. If it is meant to be then it will find it's way into the hoard.
That's where I am. There are a lot of new designs that I like, but I'm finding it harder and harder to get me excited enough to spend the money, as I have so many I can't even put them to use as it is.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

If Spyderco were to make a new version of the Spyderco Stretch but with a blade made from Lc200N stainless steel and it came in: 1 Part Serrated, 2 Full Serrated, and 3 Plain Edge, and the grind was both Saber and Full Flat Grind, and the handle came in both black FRN, and multiple color shade FRN, such as Earthtone, Navy or other Bluetone, and Rescue Orange, how would that effect these things for you and others?

That is one of my desired dreams to see Spyderco make all of the above, by the way.
vivi

Post by vivi »

p_atrick wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:03 am
Vivi wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:40 am
So the Native Chief must be next on the to-buy list. What is it about the Police 4 that caused you to get it despite the thumb ramp, K390?
It's a better version of my old favorite, the Police 3. I have a feeling I'll like the Chief better, but for now the Police 4 is my favorite in spite of the thumb ramp.
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

Trimming and buying, trimming and buying...
A hobby costs money, this way it is much more affordable for me.
The drunken is on my radar, as is the para 3 LW.
You say the Paysan is to drop soon? Away with my 940 20cv. :D
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
The only thing that irks me is when exclusives sell out in six minutes. That is just stupid.
I too find that to be, if not irksome, uhhh... curious lol. I haven't yet had to compete in the sprint/exclusive stakes, I think because my tastes are not quite like the majority's, and the Sprints/Exclusives I've wanted are readily available for leisurely purchase. But if a knife is ever released that myself and a couple thousand other people want, I'd be mighty upset if the only thing that keeps me from snagging one is a slow internet connection. :rolleyes:

On the other hand Bear Face is there any solution to the problem do you think?
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:23 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
The only thing that irks me is when exclusives sell out in six minutes. That is just stupid.
I too find that to be, if not irksome, uhhh... curious lol. I haven't yet had to compete in the sprint/exclusive stakes, I think because my tastes are not quite like the majority's, and the Sprints/Exclusives I've wanted are readily available for leisurely purchase. But if a knife is ever released that myself and a couple thousand other people want, I'd be mighty upset if the only thing that keeps me from snagging one is a slow internet connection. :rolleyes:

On the other hand Bear Face is there any solution to the problem do you think?
HELLO!

The answer to all of our problems is an Online Spyderco Custom Shop, which several knife manufacturers have.

There within the Custom Shop you will find approximately 10 to 15 blades, each having 3 to 5 different grips, and up to 5 different blade steels, some with coatings and some in satin finish. You will have a whole year or more to save for the knife of your choice. Steels may rotate in at the high end....making 204P not so special.

BOOM - AND THEN YOU WAKE UP, and your knife sold out in 5 minutes, and will be stored in some guys sock drawer not to be seen for 25yrs OR be on sale on FleaBay for a 500% markup.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

What drives me batty... Spyderco is the only maker that offers all the ingredients I desire in a folding knife...
blade steel, blade shape, blade width, blade height, blade length, blade grind, blade finish, blade angle, opening method, handle material, handle shape, lock type, construction, ergos, etc... but not in a single knife.
vivi

Post by vivi »

jpm2 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:30 pm
What drives me batty... Spyderco is the only maker that offers all the ingredients I desire in a folding knife...
blade steel, blade shape, blade width, blade height, blade length, blade grind, blade finish, blade angle, opening method, handle material, handle shape, lock type, construction, ergos, etc... but not in a single knife.
Hah, isn't that the truth.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:34 pm
jpm2 wrote:
Hah, isn't that the truth.

+1! Lol! That's their master plan. So we buy a hundred we like instead of one we love. :) If I had a DLC Cruwear G10 Native I may become complacent and move on to a new hobby!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

jpm2 wrote:

Hahaha, that's good stuff. As Sal and Eric read this, rubbing their greedy hands together with a devilish laugh!!! 😈
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick