What's the one that got away?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
loamy47

What's the one that got away?

Post by loamy47 »

Do you guys have any knives or variants that you wanted so badly, but couldn't ever get your hands on them? What were they?
ZrowsN1s

Re: What's the one that got away?

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The Dodo.

Also, I don't know that I was desperate to get one, but the Ouroboros got discontinued before I could talk myself into one. Kind of a cool looking knife.

I could get both of those on the secondary, but the price is too rich for me.

*Also a few of the Jade DLC sprints, the Red Manix, the St. Nick's exclusives and a few others I'm sure I'm forgetting.... Pakka wood Delica and Endura.... Fluted Ti Native....

I thought of a few more :D
**The Criss, everything by Ed Schempp, everything by Slysz, Karahawk, Lil Temp, Chinook, Q-ball, D'allara, Techno, One-eyed-Jack, Lil Nilakka, Jester, USN PE HB Ladybug, Civilian, Matriarch, Lil Matriarch, mother of pearl Micro Dyad, the JANISONG....
Last edited by ZrowsN1s on Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

C95 in foliage green.

I owned an original C95 and loved it, but ended up trading it for a large chopper. When I found out about the FG sprint they were sold out and going for $250+ and that's above my limit for a user.

I still keep an eye out for one.
:unicorn
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Spyderco R. Always regretted not buying buying one.

South Fork. I love the Sprig and I'm still mad at myself for not picking up a South Fork when it was disco'd.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I guess it would be the Sage 4 for me
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:59 am
I guess it would be the Sage 4 for me
This. Taichung backlock with a wire clip that's not a Chap would be so awesome
Last edited by SG89 on Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

For me it would be the CF Michael Walker...I would love to see a sprint run of these...
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

All the stuff from the 80’s and 90’s when I didn’t know, or even know of Spyderco’s cool knives.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Street Beat after it went on the discontinued list.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

the walker pe carbon fiber, and para 3 m390 for me
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I kinda regret not getting the Ulize when it was disco'd. I really like the looks of it but to be honest I probably would have hated sharpening the recurve blade. Certainly not "the one."
abbazaba wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:58 am
Spyderco R. Always regretted not buying one.
This one kinda doesn't count either. I wasn't into spyderco when the original R was released, so I didn't "miss out" on it, but it's the model I most pine for. They're always more than $400 on the secondary and I can't ever justify it to myself. I have the 2nd gen and the Nishijin version. The delica is my most carried, but this model is probably my favorite all-around design (and I love that the SE versions were FFG). Obligatory Mr. Blonde pic:

Holland

Post by Holland »

Blue jigged bone delica

There were lots in stores when I first started this journey, but I didn't like the delica at the time Haha
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

tvenuto wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:59 am
I kinda regret not getting the Ulize when it was disco'd. I really like the looks of it but to be honest I probably would have hated sharpening the recurve blade. Certainly not "the one."
abbazaba wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:58 am
Spyderco R. Always regretted not buying one.
This one kinda doesn't count either. I wasn't into spyderco when the original R was released, so I didn't "miss out" on it, but it's the model I most pine for. They're always more than $400 on the secondary and I can't ever justify it to myself. I have the 2nd gen and the Nishijin version. The delica is my most carried, but this model is probably my favorite all-around design (and I love that the SE versions were FFG). Obligatory Mr. Blonde pic:

Bruh, that Nishijin R is sweeeet lol.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:26 pm
Yea it's a funny story about that one, for me. I was relatively new to spyderco, and I was mulling over a new purchase. I was checking out the new blue M390 PM2s from Bento Box shop, the original run. I had one in my cart, and waffled a bit, since $150 was like 50% more than I'd ever spent on a knife. I mean my $60 delica worked just fine, right? I mulled it over for like an hour, then decided to pull the trigger. SOLD OUT! That's right, I freaking waffled my way into missing one of the most lusted-after PM2s ever.

Well now the $$$ was burning a hole in my pocket and I thought the nishijin was interesting, so I impulse bought the Nishijin R. The rest, as they say, is history. I pocketed it and was instantly in love. It has the blade shape of my beloved delica but is longer and has some cool scales. The ergos are great for me both choked up and back. I love the "gear-like" jimping, and the backlock has a satisfying "smack." I remembered seeing that Bento had the V2 R (solid blade, skeletonized handle) so I quick snagged that version as well. Since that day I've been obsessed with 2 things: getting spyderco to re-run the R (every version has been a limited release, atypical for spyderco), and finding the V1 with the skeletonized blade.

You'll notice that I didn't mention the M390 PM2 as the one that got away, because I don't regret missing it one bit. One of my favorite quotes is from Cormac McCarthy's All The Pretty Horses: "You never know what worse luck your bad luck saved you from." I'm glad I missed that initial run of M390s, since it caused me to get a knife that checks all the boxes for me (and would for many others if they had the opportunity to use it, if I ever acquire a spare I'll do a pass-around).
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Nice story tvenuto :)
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

tvenuto wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:58 pm
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:26 pm
Yea it's a funny story about that one, for me. I was relatively new to spyderco, and I was mulling over a new purchase. I was checking out the new blue M390 PM2s from Bento Box shop, the original run. I had one in my cart, and waffled a bit, since $150 was like 50% more than I'd ever spent on a knife. I mean my $60 delica worked just fine, right? I mulled it over for like an hour, then decided to pull the trigger. SOLD OUT! That's right, I freaking waffled my way into missing one of the most lusted-after PM2s ever.

Well now the $$$ was burning a hole in my pocket and I thought the nishijin was interesting, so I impulse bought the Nishijin R. The rest, as they say, is history. I pocketed it and was instantly in love. It has the blade shape of my beloved delica but is longer and has some cool scales. The ergos are great for me both choked up and back. I love the "gear-like" jimping, and the backlock has a satisfying "smack." I remembered seeing that Bento had the V2 R (solid blade, skeletonized handle) so I quick snagged that version as well. Since that day I've been obsessed with 2 things: getting spyderco to re-run the R (every version has been a limited release, atypical for spyderco), and finding the V1 with the skeletonized blade.

You'll notice that I didn't mention the M390 PM2 as the one that got away, because I don't regret missing it one bit. One of my favorite quotes is from Cormac McCarthy's All The Pretty Horses: "You never know what worse luck your bad luck saved you from." I'm glad I missed that initial run of M390s, since it caused me to get a knife that checks all the boxes for me (and would for many others if they had the opportunity to use it, if I ever acquire a spare I'll do a pass-around).
Hah interesting, can you tell me--what's the action like on that R? I mean other than that satisfying smack of the lock, is it typical for a back lock knife, like a Delica? Or is is a bit lighter? I like the lightness of a compression lock, but I'm not averse to back locks (I'm loving my new V-Toku Stretch). Also, what's the Nishijin glass fiber like? I got one of those BBS M390 PM2's pretty much just because it's one of those clubs I just HAD to join lol. Anyway, thanks for the story!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Well I posted this yesterday but for some reason a lot if my posts aren’t showing up lately? Anyways, I passed up on a Tuff a couple times and now they’re gone, and any that pop up on secondary go for $600 and that’s not happening. Guess I’ll wait and hope for a sprint run in Cruwear or 4v...
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
silvershade255

Post by silvershade255 »

Barong. I was unaware of spyderco back when they were in production, and even if I had been at that time I was wary of "weird" knives. I've since come to thoroughly enjoy and appreciate the different designs and the barong has eluded me ever since. I find them occasionally on flea bay or other places, but the price quickly goes too high to justify. On the positive note I did get a hold of a khukuri not too far back!
"Seven for One"
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal