Chap LW idea

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Chap LW idea

Post by steelcity16 »

So my understanding is that the Chaparral is meant to showcase different handle materials rather than steels. But the Chapparal LW is such an amazing knife is seriously is putting me into a depression that we may never see another version of it! :( Perhaps the team can look into a glow in the dark FRN as a "new" scale material to showcase in the Chap LW, and while they are at it throw an LC200N blade and some stainless hardware and make the ultimate EDC Salt knife!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Danvp

Re: Chap LW idea

Post by Danvp »

I totally agree with you. The Chap LW is to amazing not to treat with other steels. A salt version SE would be nice. All black please. LC200n is also highly appreciated.
I would buy one or two without hesitation. The perfect EDC indeed.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Hmmm... is nylon available in a glow in the dark variety?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

zhyla wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:49 pm
Hmmm... is nylon available in a glow in the dark variety?

I don't know exactly what they have access to in Taiwan. There have been glow in the dark Spyderco exclusives in the past. I think the scales were smooth on those though and a different material. I would prefer a molded Glow in the Dark FRN/FRCP in the same texture of the current Chap LW scales using the same mold. Hopefully that is possible and they will make this happen. I think it would do very well.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Chap lightweight is the one knife that really cought me off guard. I initially bought it as an option solely for trailrunning to be clipped IWB on occasions when I would have otherwise maybe carried no knife at all.
But immidiatelly I fell in love with that great designed, very capable little tool, carry it a lot more often than I thought I would, and will 100 % never get rid of it (and I am generally more a larger blades guy).

That said, I personall am totally fine with the current version (or even am quite amazed by the CTS HXP steel), BUT: If additional steel or handle options would lead to more people getting interested and trying that design, I am totally for it. I think, a bit like it is with the Stretch, the Chap is an underestimated folder and really grows on you as soon as it really gets used
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I'm allergic to GITD personally. I would never buy one. That said, if it would make (more) people notice and appreciate the Chap so be it.
Me? I'd be over the moon over a wood or micarta scale really classy Chap since that's what they are about for me :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
restless ghost

Post by restless ghost »

Micarta or Pakkawood would be an insta-buy
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I'm pretty sure Sal mentioned that the Chaparral LW and Sage5 LW were an opportunity for exclusives and sprints in different steels. K390 would be my vote.
Nate

Post by Nate »

^^ +1, I remember that as well.
:spyder:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

restless ghost wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:07 pm
Absolutely YES to both. Micarta even more than Pakkawood.
And the good thing: Could well come true, couldn't it? After all the Chap was established as THE model to display different handle materials on the always same knife-design, right?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:17 pm
restless ghost wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:07 pm
Absolutely YES to both. Micarta even more than Pakkawood.
And the good thing: Could well come true, couldn't it? After all the Chap was established as THE model to display different handle materials on the always same knife-design, right?
Indeed, and I have seen amazingly pretty Chaps with wooden scales..
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

There were an (over-)abundance of Chaps on the Spyderco prototype table at last weekend’s OKCA show. Many were various types of stabilized woods that Sal and Eric were trying out, as well as a few new Raffir acrylic scales - one of which I believe had some GITD material integrated into the scales. I must say I was not particularly impressed with any of them to be honest, but I have pretty high standards for this model!

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
David R

Post by David R »

I'm sure Spyderco's plate is pretty full. But a black or white linen micarta Chap would be great. I have no issues with XHP - it's very nice steel and I'm sure it was chosen specifically for the thin grind they use. But I would not be opposed to K390 Chap either.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

David R wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:32 pm
...But a black or white linen micarta Chap would be great....
It sure would! But thinking about it, I doubt, they'll ever put miicarta-scales on a Taichung knife. :( I remember Sal saying something like Micarta would be too likely to shrink or expand when shipped from there to another (dryer?) climate. I could remember wrongly though.

And I'd be for denim-micarta... :)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

does pakkawood look better in person than in pictures, because i don’t think it’s attractive at all based on the pictures. i’d rather see a nicer looking wood like ebony or maybe some bone scales or something. if you want to go classy, really go classy.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
araneae

Post by araneae »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:31 pm
There were an (over-)abundance of Chaps on the Spyderco prototype table at last weekend’s OKCA show. Many were various types of stabilized woods that Sal and Eric were trying out, as well as a few new Raffir acrylic scales - one of which I believe had some GITD material integrated into the scales. I must say I was not particularly impressed with any of them to be honest, but I have pretty high standards for this model!

That's a looker. My first commissioned customized knife will be a ctek/cf scaled version. Looking forward to it, its in the hands of a fellow forumite now.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:31 pm

That knife was done just right. Beautiful.
Who made the scales?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
David R

Post by David R »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:29 pm
David R wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:32 pm
...But a black or white linen micarta Chap would be great....
It sure would! But thinking about it, I doubt, they'll ever put miicarta-scales on a Taichung knife. :( I remember Sal saying something like Micarta would be too likely to shrink or expand when shipped from there to another (dryer?) climate. I could remember wrongly though.

And I'd be for denim-micarta... :)
Hadn't considered that - it may not be stable enough for the moisture swings between Taiwan and Colorado. I used to live at 5000'+ in Colorado and 7000'+ in New Mexico. Weird stuff happens due to the dryness.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Chap LW would make a pretty good "folding mule" for running other steels.

If the K390 Chap LW actually happens, I see myself buying multiples immediately. My favorite smaller knife in one of my favorite steels is going to be an amazing combination.
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:32 pm
does pakkawood look better in person than in pictures, because i don’t think it’s attractive at all based on the pictures. i’d rather see a nicer looking wood like ebony or maybe some bone scales or something. if you want to go classy, really go classy.
I had a pakkawood delica. Not a great fan of it and sold it again. Mine was very dark. The 3 different wooden scales on the Chapparal i handled were very attractive. Don’t know if they were actually made from wood or some look- alike material. Anyway they are on my ‘to buy’ list when they drop regardless of steel.
Still a salt Chapparal is on my shortlist too. Just a perfect design of a little knife.