Damasteel blade for under $75?!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
archangel

Damasteel blade for under $75?!

Post by archangel »

Can this be real? Damasteel blade knife for $75?
https://www.bladehq.com/item--CIVIVI-Na ... ock--96907

Made in China, I see that. But still, that's nowhere near to any other Damasteel blade knife price I've ever seen elsewhere... :eek:
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
The Deacon

Re: Damasteel blade for under $75?!

Post by The Deacon »

I think the ad is wrong. Price does seem low for Damasteel, and the pattern looks more like Japanese damascus than any of Damasteel's. Plus CIVIVI's own website describes the Naja's blade material as "Chinese Damascus".

http://www.civivi.com/plus/view.php?aid=106
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
archangel

Post by archangel »

Thanks Paul. I've seen many non Damasteel low price Damascus blades in webshops. This one sure looks pretty good for those. At least the stock pic does.
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Glad to be of help, Michael. Knife's not my cup of tea, but it does appear to be well enough made. To my eyes, the "Chinese Damascus" looks too much like Japanese Damascus. The "oil on water" randomness of it has never impressed me, I prefer a more organized Damascus patterns. There would also be the question of whether the Naja's damascus is stainless damascus.

Do think someone should advise BHQ to change the knife's description.
Paul
archangel

Post by archangel »

The Deacon wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:14 am
Do think someone should advise BHQ to change the knife's description.

I'll do it.
Michael
archangel

Post by archangel »

It's now also available at KC. Like Paul stated, this is no Damasteel blade. Will be interesting to see if BladeHQ will correct their incorrect item description. I sent them an email and asked them to do it.
Michael
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Not a fan of damasteel, or whatever it is. I do like nice damascus, but don't know if I would carry a knife with it!

I have heard that Civivi makes good budget knives, and the Isham Plethiros just dropped yesterday, and I ordered one right away. Loved the look of it. the Anthropos interested me, but something about the blade shape and handle just kept me from pulling the trigger. The Plethiros however...I had to snag one. We'll see how it is when it gets here (supposedly Monday).
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
archangel

Post by archangel »

"Michael,
Thank you for your email. Unfortunately I would not be able to change the items description as the specifications from the manufacturer do specify the item is damasteel. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.
Thank you,
Seth L.
Customer Service Supervisor"

KC staff must be smarter, are more interested in the truth...
Michael
archangel

Post by archangel »

They saved themselves:

"Michael,
Thank you for your response. I apologize for the mishap as I am seeing our products team looked into this and it appears we were incorrect and the item is in fact not made of Damasteel and is instead just a Chinese Damascus. I appreciate you notifying us of this issue and the listing has been updated now.
Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.
Thank you,
Seth L.
Customer Service Supervisor'
Michael
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What is the strongest, toughest, sharpest, and most corrosion resistant Damascus steel out there?
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

The way you pose the question makes it difficult if not impossible to answer directly. I will say, if you haven't checked out Damasteel's Damacore DC18N you should. I am not a fan of Damascus style blades because their performance is generally inferior to the best super steels available today, and I prefer performance over aesthetics. That said, I was blown away when I found out what Damasteel is making DC18N out of. It's a San Mai construction that consists of outer layers of Damascus style patterned steel (made from RWL34 and PMC27) surrounding a core of N11X (Damasteel got a license to make Uddeholm's Vanax S.C. and they are calling it N11X).

An RWL 34 Damascus surrounding a Vanax core is certainly the most corrosion resistant Damascus type of product available today. It also has edge holding ability that it better than S30V and toughness is better than any other P.M. grade stainless.

The only problem is the price :( ...a piece that is .160" thick 2" wide and 12" long is $775.00 :eek: :eek: :eek: .

I recently received a very small off-cut to test. I just finished profiling and surfacing it into a little "keychain / neck knife" and heat treated it yesterday. I had to make it into something...after all, that's a $200 "scrap" piece of metal right there :D . I plan to grind the bevel today or tomorrow.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Wow. For both the material and the price.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Xplorer wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:59 am
The way you pose the question makes it difficult if not impossible to answer directly. I will say, if you haven't checked out Damasteel's Damacore DC18N you should. I am not a fan of Damascus style blades because their performance is generally inferior to the best super steels available today, and I prefer performance over aesthetics. That said, I was blown away when I found out what Damasteel is making DC18N out of. It's a San Mai construction that consists of outer layers of Damascus style patterned steel (made from RWL34 and PMC27) surrounding a core of N11X (Damasteel got a license to make Uddeholm's Vanax S.C. and they are calling it N11X).

An RWL 34 Damascus surrounding a Vanax core is certainly the most corrosion resistant Damascus type of product available today. It also has edge holding ability that it better than S30V and toughness is better than any other P.M. grade stainless.

The only problem is the price :( ...a piece that is .160" thick 2" wide and 12" long is $775.00 :eek: :eek: :eek: .

I recently received a very small off-cut to test. I just finished profiling and surfacing it into a little "keychain / neck knife" and heat treated it yesterday. I had to make it into something...after all, that's a $200 "scrap" piece of metal right there :D . I plan to grind the bevel today or tomorrow.

Wow indeed. If you ask me, there's enough potential for a really useful cutting tool in that piece of steel. And the looks of that pattern... To die for!! I'd say it's worth $200, without a doubt, for such an exclusive steel. You're a lucky guy...

You must post a report of the finished product!
Michael
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Dang that's expensive.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Pattern is attractive, thickness and price, not so much. I'm lucky, I guess, in that I value appearance more than the ultimate in performance, so I'd be perfectly happy with regular Damasteel blades.
Paul
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

That's a beautiful piece of steel Chad!

Whew, but expensive. :eek:
I'd love to see the finished product, when you're done with it.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Bear in mind that the piece in the picture isn't etched. It's just surfaced to 1000 grit to make sure everything is perfectly flat before I grind it. Once it's ground and etched it will look a lot nicer. :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Xplorer wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:55 pm
Bear in mind that the piece in the picture isn't etched. It's just surfaced to 1000 grit to make sure everything is perfectly flat before I grind it. Once it's ground and etched it will look a lot nicer. :)

I realize that as well as that, depending on whether you grind the blade full flat, saber, or hollow will change the look of the pattern to a greater or lesser extent. That said, I prefer a relatively low contrast etch, like SETO used on the kitchen knives of theirs that Spyderco distributed a while back, to the high contrast etch Spyderco's Japanese maker tends to use.
Paul
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

The Deacon wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:38 am
...I prefer a relatively low contrast etch...
Me too. Because of the composition of the 3 steels in this mix it's takes more to get a high contrast than usual. In fact, while most damascus style steels are etched in a Ferric Chloride solution this one needs a heated Hydrochloric Acid solution. Since it's 3 different steel compositions (and one of them is a Nitrogen steel) instead of the normal 2 steels in a regular damascus pattern this one produces 3 colors. RWL34 stays bright, PMC27 turns black and Vanax (N11X) turns gray.
My plan is to hand rub the bevels to 2500 grit and etch it just enough to see all three colors without having to shift it back and forth in the light.

I'm anxious as can be to get it done..but the reality of life is I have to get the knife I'm working on done first..then I can get to playing with my new toy :D .

Best regards,
Chad
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Since a couple of you asked to see the finished product, here it is... rather..here's a set of pics that shows the progression from "off-cut scrap" to my new EDC.

This is the piece of Damacore that I received from my friend Shawn at Triple B Handmade. It was too small for any of my existing knife designs but I had to make something out of it so I drew a blade that used as much of this piece as possible and went with it.

Profiled and surfaced..

Fresh out of heat treating..

Freezing the water molecules out of the air while it warms back up to room temp after cryo..

Ground and polished..

Etched and sharpened..

I thought about making a neck/knife sheath but decided to make a custom wallet/sheath so I can use it just as easily wearing a suit as I can an other time.

Thank you to my friend Shawn for sending me that beautiful piece of Damacore! It's my new favorite toy :D :D .

Best regards,
Chad