Where is the love for the Manix XL??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Where is the love for the Manix XL??

Post by Doc Dan »

My biggest problem with an otherwise wonderful design is that the hook on the pommel pinches my finger a little, especially when really putting some effort into cutting. I would buy another one in a heartbeat if they would round that off like on the Millie or even on the M2.

A LW model if the XL would be high on my must-buy list. Dark grey scales, black DLC blade.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:29 am
My biggest problem with an otherwise wonderful design is that the hook on the pommel pinches my finger a little, especially when really putting some effort into cutting. I would buy another one in a heartbeat if they would round that off like on the Millie or even on the M2.

A LW model if the XL would be high on my must-buy list. Dark grey scales, black DLC blade.
I know from another thread that the hook makes the handle a bit too small for your hands and sure that must be annoying!
But may I mention for other readers that you also mentioned you had VERY large hand (XXL?)? Just so that people with up to XL/XXL hands know that the hook would not bother them (even for Vivi, who obviously has really big hands too, the hook is not an issue he mentioned).

/ your suggestion for a lw model sounds great...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I am surprised that Vivi does not have this problem with his little finger on the XL. I think his hands are a little larger than mine. I wear a 2xl glove. But, everyone is built differently. I can use the Delica right well, but he cannot.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:31 am
I am surprised that Vivi does not have this problem with his little finger on the XL. I think his hands are a little larger than mine. I wear a 2xl glove. But, everyone is built differently. I can use the Delica right well, but he cannot.
I think what Vivi and some / many others do not like in the Delica (and Endura) is not the overall LENGTH of the handle (resp. the lack of it), but the finger grooves. I happen to like those a lot both in Delica and Endura, both fit my hand (l to XL) very well.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Blomgren

Post by Blomgren »

Is it the length or the width of the hand that's the biggest issue here? Or both?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Yep. The Delica is long enough to fit my finger on the handle, but the grooves make getting them there comfortably impossible. Same with the Endura 4.

Doc, maybe you have wider fingers than I do. I feel like mine are fairly narrow for my overall hand size. That hook has never bothered me, in fact I prefer it to the mini manix pommel.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:46 am
Yep. The Delica is long enough to fit my finger on the handle, but the grooves make getting them there comfortably impossible. Same with the Endura 4.

Doc, maybe you have wider fingers than I do. I feel like mine are fairly narrow for my overall hand size. That hook has never bothered me, in fact I prefer it to the mini manix pommel.
I am not sure if everbody will realize that by "Mini-Manix" you're referring to the regular one (as opposed to the XL).. . :D
But now that I've had a closer look at the two models, I am really with you: They should have continued to call the now "XL" just "Manix", since it's a) almost exactly the same size as the original and b) really not THAT large... when closed, just a tad longer due to the hook (which is, besides being a nice feature I think, also necessary to acommodate the longer blade when the knife is closed).

I myself would have guessed that the "XL" is some kind of monster-knife, both wider and longer and featuring totally different ergos than the regular.. now I see that's not true at all.

Again: Give us a XL LW please... ;)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:46 am

Yeah, maybe. I do have wide fingers. My fingers are only average length, but when my wife ordered my wedding band the jeweler wanted to know if she were marrying King Kong. Hahaha! My hand is like a baseball mitt.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think it was the Military that ultimately kept me from buying one of these. The grip is also a bit tight for my hand size, which means way too small when wearing gloves. My biggest issue is that the blade got longer but also raised the tip height and gave it more belly in doing so, and that kinda ruined my favorite part about the Manix 2.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Cryptohominid

Post by Cryptohominid »

I really like my Manix 2xl, it was my first Spyderco. I have xl hands and it fits them fine. I mostly use it in more of a camping context because my Police 4 and Yo 2 carry so much better. The Manix is like a metal 🌮 I my pocket, lol.

It’s really not that bad, but it’s a back pocket knife for me.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:31 am
I think it was the Military that ultimately kept me from buying one of these. The grip is also a bit tight for my hand size, which means way too small when wearing gloves. My biggest issue is that the blade got longer but also raised the tip height and gave it more belly in doing so, and that kinda ruined my favorite part about the Manix 2.
The blade shape makes a great folding food prep knife though! That belly works well on cutting boards.
:unicorn
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

based on pictures, i thought i’d like the xl better, but once i got them both in hand, it quickly became apparent that the manix is the perfect knife (for me) as far as shape and ergonomics. the xl is just extra knife and handle that i don’t need even though i can appreciate it for what it is.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:10 pm
Evil D wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:31 am
The blade shape makes a great folding food prep knife though! That belly works well on cutting boards.

It looks like it would he great for that! Now you have me wanting a G10 Manix XL Salt in PE LC200N!!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red