CTS-BD1N Where does it fit in?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cycleguy

Re: CTS-BD1N Where does it fit in?

Post by cycleguy »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:54 pm
BornIn1500 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:35 pm
I'm surprised you're looking forward to BD1N after having written off S30V and S35VN. It's impossible to really say how it will perform exactly, without knowing how hard they're running it. That makes all the difference. But don't count on it out-cutting S30V.
Why would you assume that? What does this steel have to do with either of the other two you remember me not wanting? Kind of confusing reply.

I was hoping to hear from some of the people owning the UK penknife in this steel and what there experience has been with it. I have even considered buying one just because it is so similar to the stretch minus a lock.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... nife--9303
I look at it as a "Stretch Jr" or a "Stretch Mini" (no lock of course). BD1N is so good, it sharpens itself as you cut!! :D OK, getting a little carried away...

Currently playing with a UK Penknife in BD1N and a Yaxell Dragon serrated edge in BD1N. Is supposed to be a well balanced steel with potential to not be as chippy as other well balanced steels (like VG10, S30V) at tall bevels. Said to be as good at edge retention as well balanced steels like VG10 & S30V with others saying it will do better given the 63 rockwell and others saying it won't. Once the Para 3 lightweight is released I'm certain there will be a flood of information on the BD1N.

From what I can gather, it fits in as a well balanced steel that doesn't cost as much as other well balanced steels.

I ran the UK a couple of days on packaging tape and cardboard boxes, can't quantify the yardage, but felt the super slicey factory edge was slipping a little so I worked it on a piece of card stock (card stock on back of a small writing tablet, about like a vanilla folder or a recipe card) and had it back to being super slicey without much effort. Eventually took a flimsy cardboard nail file to it and ruined the super slicey edge to the point where the blade would still cut thru paper but rip it more than slice it, then worked it back to being super slicey with the card stock (a little more effort this time due to a couple areas of stubborn burrs). Used the knife some more and eventually made it to the diamond stones where it feels pretty soft and got super slicey with little effort.

For reference, I'm a fan of well balanced steels. Really like the VG-10 on my Delica. Too early to say, but don't believe the BD1N noticeably outlasts the other well balanced steels in this group.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

cycleguy wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:20 pm
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:54 pm
BornIn1500 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:35 pm
I'm surprised you're looking forward to BD1N after having written off S30V and S35VN. It's impossible to really say how it will perform exactly, without knowing how hard they're running it. That makes all the difference. But don't count on it out-cutting S30V.
Why would you assume that? What does this steel have to do with either of the other two you remember me not wanting? Kind of confusing reply.

I was hoping to hear from some of the people owning the UK penknife in this steel and what there experience has been with it. I have even considered buying one just because it is so similar to the stretch minus a lock.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... nife--9303
I look at it as a "Stretch Jr" or a "Stretch Mini" (no lock of course). BD1N is so good, it sharpens itself as you cut!! :D OK, getting a little carried away...

Currently playing with a UK Penknife in BD1N and a Yaxell Dragon serrated edge in BD1N. Is supposed to be a well balanced steel with potential to not be as chippy as other well balanced steels (like VG10, S30V) at tall bevels. Said to be as good at edge retention as well balanced steels like VG10 & S30V with others saying it will do better given the 63 rockwell and others saying it won't. Once the Para 3 lightweight is released I'm certain there will be a flood of information on the BD1N.

From what I can gather, it fits in as a well balanced steel that doesn't cost as much as other well balanced steels.

I ran the UK a couple of days on packaging tape and cardboard boxes, can't quantify the yardage, but felt the super slicey factory edge was slipping a little so I worked it on a piece of card stock (card stock on back of a small writing tablet, about like a vanilla folder or a recipe card) and had it back to being super slicey without much effort. Eventually took a flimsy cardboard nail file to it and ruined the super slicey edge to the point where the blade would still cut thru paper but rip it more than slice it, then worked it back to being super slicey with the card stock (a little more effort this time due to a couple areas of stubborn burrs). Used the knife some more and eventually made it to the diamond stones where it feels pretty soft and got super slicey with little effort.

For reference, I'm a fan of well balanced steels. Really like the VG-10 on my Delica. Too early to say, but don't believe the BD1N noticeably outlasts the other well balanced steels in this group.

CG
Nice write up. Thanks
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

For reference:
Attachments
Stretch Mini.JPG
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

So the opposite of “stretch”

Scrunch?
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:54 pm
So the opposite of “stretch”

Scrunch?
Ha Ha!!! And I WAS SO PROUD of my Stretch Mini .... now I'm just deflated! :D

CG
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

:D
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Awww what an adorable scrunch. :) I think I will buy one just to support Sal. This design just does not get the credit it deserves, and what Stretch collection can approach completeness without this beauty anyhow?

Hey Wartstein what do yo say will you get one also? Solidarity bro. Stretch Nation!!!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Having received my Para3 LW in BD1N Steel I put it through lots of use I’ve the weekend and am sorry to say it is not as corrosion resistant as I would like.

Used it in the kitchen and of course it got wet, this morning opening the knife there was rust present under the scales and on the chills.

This was a bit surprising as I thought the nitrogen would help with this but no, not in this case.

The good news no pitting and it wipes of easy enough.

The bad news gotta take it apart tonight and clean the rust out of the pivot.

Oh well Mineral oil is cheap. As far as sharpening goes pretty easy on the brown stones not a really sharp steel from what I can tell but that will take som more experimenting perhaps the white stones will bring it out.

Judgement: VG-10 is a superior steel.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:44 am
Having received my Para3 LW in BD1N Steel I put it through lots of use I’ve the weekend and am sorry to say it is not as corrosion resistant as I would like.

Used it in the kitchen and of course it got wet, this morning opening the knife there was rust present under the scales and on the chills.

This was a bit surprising as I thought the nitrogen would help with this but no, not in this case.

The good news no pitting and it wipes of easy enough.

The bad news gotta take it apart tonight and clean the rust out of the pivot.

Oh well Mineral oil is cheap. As far as sharpening goes pretty easy on the brown stones not a really sharp steel from what I can tell but that will take som more experimenting perhaps the white stones will bring it out.

Judgement: VG-10 is a superior steel.
Now test the edge
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The right comparison isn't against VG-10. It's against BD-1. In my experience the BD1N is a major improvement over the older BD-1.

Anyone have an opinion on BD1N vs S30v? So far I think S30v is holding an edge longer for me
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Update I did break out the White Stones and am pleased to say this steel does indeed respond very well to the White Stones on the Sharpmaker, very well indeed and has become very sharp, surprisingly so with very little effort. Not sure how the edge retention is yet but this does put it on par with VG-10 Minus VG-10's superior corrosion resistance.

I have to say though if all it takes is a simple wipe with a cloth to get rid of a rust layer then it is no problem. Find myself very much liking this steel so far and the implementation in the Para3 LW is superb.

On the edge taking a hit while still a factory fresh blade I opened a box with bottles and allowed it to hit caps and glass. As predicted it dulled the knife but no edge deformation or chipping. Pretty impressive.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Doeswhateveraspidercan

And I am still laughing Good one BBB

https://youtu.be/HzC9Rh2P-58
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:01 pm
Update I did break out the White Stones and am pleased to say this steel does indeed respond very well to the White Stones on the Sharpmaker, very well indeed and has become very sharp, surprisingly so with very little effort. Not sure how the edge retention is yet but this does put it on par with VG-10 Minus VG-10's superior corrosion resistance.

I have to say though if all it takes is a simple wipe with a cloth to get rid of a rust layer then it is no problem. Find myself very much liking this steel so far and the implementation in the Para3 LW is superb.

On the edge taking a hit while still a factory fresh blade I opened a box with bottles and allowed it to hit caps and glass. As predicted it dulled the knife but no edge deformation or chipping. Pretty impressive.
YES, that's what I'm talking about. The edge is very nice.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:31 pm
SF Native wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:14 pm
My non-scientific experience so far (from UKPK) is that it’s a lot like LC200n. It doesnt hold the edge as long as others but sharpens pretty easily. Seems to get a fine edge without much trouble. I’m guessing you will like it.
Thank you for this report. This is exactly the kind of subjective information I was looking for as well as the person who posted right before you.

To me Super Steel is LC200N, VG10, CTS-XHP, Cruwear, M4 These are exhibiting highly desired functional qualities. Yes I have come to understand S30V and S35VN are prone to BUR issues and that to me is a decidedly non super steel quality, I mean really who wants a challenge every time they got to touch up an edge?

I like M4, VG10, LC200N, CTS-XHP specifically because they can get very sharp with little effort a few licks on the Sharpmaker and back to hair shaving sharp it sounds like CTS-BD1N is what I consider a Super Steel also.

Not knocking S30V or S35VN. Maybe I will get better at sharpening them I really have to since I like the Ikuchi so much but I do not think even with competent sharpening they will retain the truly sharp blade the other steels do. Could be wrong but just going by Factory Fresh edges I have not seen this to be true and this also goes for other High Carbide steels like M390. Start out factory sharp but do not last for long.

Currently working on a Military Blade in CTS-204P re profiling it to 13 degrees per side on the Wicked Edge Pro with the low angle attachment but those paddles are going to get shaved down as the plastic hits the finger choils on many of my knives. A serious design flaw in that tool, need to run them up against the belt on my Ken onion grinding attachment and get the plastic out of the way so the diamonds can get in close.

LOL. You need some experience reading, and sharpening. Godspeed my friend.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:42 am
The right comparison isn't against VG-10. It's against BD-1. In my experience the BD1N is a major improvement over the older BD-1.

Anyone have an opinion on BD1N vs S30v? So far I think S30v is holding an edge longer for me
I'd remove the factory edge and put a fresh stone edge on there to evaluate. What stone and edge Finish do you rock?
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:46 pm

Hey Wartstein what do yo say will you get one also? Solidarity bro. Stretch Nation!!!
Hi Doeswhatever,

Read your post just right now, didn´t have much time for the forum lately unfortunately :(

To be honest: I don´t think I can bring myself to get a UKPN.. ;) Don´t get me wrong, I really like it´s "stretch-ish" overall shape in a smaller version.

But: No lock is a deal breaker for me. Generally I guess the UKPK will work just fine as a slip joint, as you probably always will grip it with one finger in the choil anyway and by that preventing the blade from closing in a harmfull way. But you have to understand: My home country still has great knife-laws, and I can carry almost any folder I want to. But I am sourrounded by countries with really crazy knife laws, especially in Germany, which begins just like one mile away from where I live. Even a D Fly would not be a legal carry there, and there are videos on youtube where Germans literally DESTROY (!) the locking mechanism on a Stretch so that it becomes non locking and a legal carry in Germany.

To cut a long story short: I am SOOO glad that I can carry any locking folder I want legally while just a mile away poor guys HAVE to stick to slip joints that I just want to enjoy my luck and not carry a non locking folder...

Additionally I stongly feel that the overall Stretch design works best in it´s current size, that goes for the blade shape and even more so for the ergos. I think a scaled down version (like in a way the UKPN) or scaled up version (which does not exist) looses a lot of the "Stretch-magic"... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sparky2016

Post by sparky2016 »

Where it fits is

"Carpenter’s CTS-BD1N holds the potential to achieve stardom as the go-to performer of the production knife world. It costs about the same as VG-10 or N690, with a better mix of wear resistance, corrosion resistance, and sharpenability. These qualities make it an easy choice for anyone looking for the best price-to-performance ratio."
- from https://knifenews.com/are-we-ent ... de-steels/

So used when performance and value are both significant considerations. Not a direct competitor to LC200N. Not a price-is-no-object super steel.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Ok just broke down a bunch of cardboard and I can say without reservation OH WOW!! This steel absolutely likes being touched up on the fine rods!

Once finished it still shaves hair off my arm. Impressive, Most Impressive!

#1. Sharpening this steel is stupid easy. All you need is a sharpmaker and it does not take much time, this is a definable win!

#2. Corrosion resistance may be better than I was thinking I was cutting mango yesterday and that will try the corrosion resistance of many steels.

#3. Now for the endurance test I will go the rest of the week without sharpening and use this exclusively.

Will work it this way for a while but suspect the next step will to give it the Ultra Fine rod treatment and am expecting great things, this did actually become sharper than VG-10 with less effort. Brown rods alone will fail to bring out this steels sharpness.

Final thought for now. Yeah this is heading into my definition of a Super Steel and I hope to see it in more :spyder: models with longer blades in the near future. No issues with the Para3LW by the way the construction is solid and the handle superb. Would purchase a PM2 and Mililie LW if they are built like this one.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:52 pm
To be honest: I don´t think I can bring myself to get a UKPK.. ;) Don´t get me wrong, I really like it´s "stretch-ish" overall shape in a smaller version.

But: No lock is a deal breaker for me. Generally I guess the UKPK will work just fine as a slip joint, as you probably always will grip it with one finger in the choil anyway and by that preventing the blade from closing in a harmfull way. But you have to understand: My home country still has great knife-laws, and I can carry almost any folder I want to. But I am sourrounded by countries with really crazy knife laws, especially in Germany, which begins just like one mile away from where I live. Even a D Fly would not be a legal carry there, and there are videos on youtube where Germans literally DESTROY (!) the locking mechanism on a Stretch so that it becomes non locking and a legal carry in Germany.

To cut a long story short: I am SOOO glad that I can carry any locking folder I want legally while just a mile away poor guys HAVE to stick to slip joints that I just want to enjoy my luck and not carry a non locking folder...
I bought a UKPK originally for travel, and I have to day that it impressed me enough that I'm happy to carry it other times too. I was really surprised at how much it impressed me, because I was really only planning to use it as a travel knife for restrictive jurisdictions.

You should totally do yourself a favor and just try it out. :)