CTS-BD1N Where does it fit in?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

CTS-BD1N Where does it fit in?

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Looking forward to the Para3 Lightweight becoming available. Wondering about the steel.

Where does CTS-BD1N fit in as far as holding a truly sharp blade? What steel is it comparable to? LC200N Perhaps? VG-10?
BornIn1500

Re: CTS-BD1N Where does it fit in?

Post by BornIn1500 »

I'm surprised you're looking forward to BD1N after having written off S30V and S35VN. It's impossible to really say how it will perform exactly, without knowing how hard they're running it. That makes all the difference. But don't count on it out-cutting S30V.
Last edited by BornIn1500 on Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Initially I thought AEB-L would be a similar steel. But after looking at the graph below, I am not so sure.

http://zknives.com/knives/steels/steelg ... hrn=1&gm=0
Doeswhateveraspidercan

BornIn1500 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:35 pm
I'm surprised you're looking forward to BD1N after having written off S30V and S35VN. It's impossible to really say how it will perform exactly, without knowing how hard they're running it. That makes all the difference. But don't count on it out-cutting S30V.
Why would you assume that? What does this steel have to do with either of the other two you remember me not wanting? Kind of confusing reply.

I was hoping to hear from some of the people owning the UK penknife in this steel and what there experience has been with it. I have even considered buying one just because it is so similar to the stretch minus a lock.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... nife--9303
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

I was making the comparison because you mentioned you're only after extreme cutting now.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

BornIn1500 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:16 pm
I was making the comparison because you mentioned you're only after extreme cutting now.
Ah I see does that mean CTS-BD1N to your knowledge does not fulfill the below desired qualities?

To be clear I am after steels that hold a truly sharp edge for a long time and are easy to return to shaving sharp LC200N Does this, CTS-XHP does this, VG10 does this. Have not had to sharpen Cruwear yet which is crazy but will know when it does.
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:52 pm
BornIn1500 wrote:

To be clear I am after steels that hold a truly sharp edge for a long time and are easy to return to shaving sharp
S30V and S35VN ...especially :spyder: :p

Seriously. ..I bought a few of the Nexus Kitchen Cutlery in BD1N and we're loving them! The different use of kitchen compared to pocket knives definitely factors into the equation. ..but the BD1N is better then VG10 (edge holding) so far into our usage of both steels!

James
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

My non-scientific experience so far (from UKPK) is that it’s a lot like LC200n. It doesnt hold the edge as long as others but sharpens pretty easily. Seems to get a fine edge without much trouble. I’m guessing you will like it.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Extra330SC wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:06 pm
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:52 pm
BornIn1500 wrote:

To be clear I am after steels that hold a truly sharp edge for a long time and are easy to return to shaving sharp
S30V and S35VN ...especially :spyder: :p

Seriously. ..I bought a few of the Nexus Kitchen Cutlery in BD1N and we're loving them! The different use of kitchen compared to pocket knives definitely factors into the equation. ..but the BD1N is better then VG10 (edge holding) so far into our usage of both steels!

James
Ah now this sounds very promising indeed. Thank you
Doeswhateveraspidercan

SF Native wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:14 pm
My non-scientific experience so far (from UKPK) is that it’s a lot like LC200n. It doesnt hold the edge as long as others but sharpens pretty easily. Seems to get a fine edge without much trouble. I’m guessing you will like it.
Thank you for this report. This is exactly the kind of subjective information I was looking for as well as the person who posted right before you.

To me Super Steel is LC200N, VG10, CTS-XHP, Cruwear, M4 These are exhibiting highly desired functional qualities. Yes I have come to understand S30V and S35VN are prone to BUR issues and that to me is a decidedly non super steel quality, I mean really who wants a challenge every time they got to touch up an edge?

I like M4, VG10, LC200N, CTS-XHP specifically because they can get very sharp with little effort a few licks on the Sharpmaker and back to hair shaving sharp it sounds like CTS-BD1N is what I consider a Super Steel also.

Not knocking S30V or S35VN. Maybe I will get better at sharpening them I really have to since I like the Ikuchi so much but I do not think even with competent sharpening they will retain the truly sharp blade the other steels do. Could be wrong but just going by Factory Fresh edges I have not seen this to be true and this also goes for other High Carbide steels like M390. Start out factory sharp but do not last for long.

Currently working on a Military Blade in CTS-204P re profiling it to 13 degrees per side on the Wicked Edge Pro with the low angle attachment but those paddles are going to get shaved down as the plastic hits the finger choils on many of my knives. A serious design flaw in that tool, need to run them up against the belt on my Ken onion grinding attachment and get the plastic out of the way so the diamonds can get in close.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:05 pm
Looking forward to the Para3 Lightweight becoming available. Wondering about the steel.

Where does CTS-BD1N fit in as far as holding a truly sharp blade? What steel is it comparable to? LC200N Perhaps? VG-10?
See this thread - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77098 - Phil Wilson seems quite impressed by it.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:31 pm
SF Native wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:14 pm
Thank you for this report. This is exactly the kind of subjective information I was looking for as well as the person who posted right before you.

To me Super Steel is LC200N, VG10, CTS-XHP, Cruwear, M4 These are exhibiting highly desired functional qualities. Yes I have come to understand S30V and S35VN are prone to BUR issues and that to me is a decidedly non super steel quality, I mean really who wants a challenge every time they got to touch up an edge?

I like M4, VG10, LC200N, CTS-XHP specifically because they can get very sharp with little effort a few licks on the Sharpmaker and back to hair shaving sharp it sounds like CTS-BD1N is what I consider a Super Steel also.

Not knocking S30V or S35VN. Maybe I will get better at sharpening them I really have to since I like the Ikuchi so much but I do not think even with competent sharpening they will retain the truly sharp blade the other steels do. Could be wrong but just going by Factory Fresh edges I have not seen this to be true and this also goes for other High Carbide steels like M390. Start out factory sharp but do not last for long.

Currently working on a Military Blade in CTS-204P re profiling it to 13 degrees per side on the Wicked Edge Pro with the low angle attachment but those paddles are going to get shaved down as the plastic hits the finger choils on many of my knives. A serious design flaw in that tool, need to run them up against the belt on my Ken onion grinding attachment and get the plastic out of the way so the diamonds can get in close.
I think of that whole group of steels (s30v, s35vn, s90v, s110v, zdp) as stubborn. Stubborn to get sharp but also stubborn to dull. That goldielocks zone of good cutting performance and ease of sharpening is hard to get. I would classify BD1n in that zone.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I think of that whole group of steels (s30v, s35vn, s90v, s110v, zdp) as stubborn. Stubborn to get sharp but also stubborn to dull. That goldielocks zone of good cutting performance and ease of sharpening is hard to get. I would classify BD1n in that zone.
[/quote]

Sounds about right. I recently learned from some folks here that you have to get shaving sharp even at 100 grit after re apexing before these steels are really going to get sharp.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm willing to bet it's not THAT much different than BD1. Slightly easier to sharpen than S30V but probably won't hold an edge quite as long. BD1 loses it rather quickly...but is a joy to sharpen. I'm hoping for more of the same with BD1N, but with slightly better wear resistance and edge retention.

I'll be honest, I too was a bit shocked at your excitement for it considering "better" steels you've said you will no longer purchase.

VG10 as a super steel makes me chuckle. Maybe in 1990! :p
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

SF Native wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:02 pm
Interesting. I just checked my Sage 2 (S30V blade) and it wasn't shaving sharp any more. I gave it a few pulls across the unglazed edge on the bottom of a ceramic coffee mug, and a few strokes on an old leather belt to strop it. Now it's back to shaving sharp. It took me all of a minute or two, literally, to resharpen it.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

ugaarguy wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:02 pm
SF Native wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:02 pm
Interesting. I just checked my Sage 2 (S30V blade) and it wasn't shaving sharp any more. I gave it a few pulls across the unglazed edge on the bottom of a ceramic coffee mug, and a few strokes on an old leather belt to strop it. Now it's back to shaving sharp. It took me all of a minute or two, literally, to resharpen it.
Interesting. Sounds like you didn’t need the coffee cup and just a strop or extra fine stone.
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

Hmm.. I think CTS BD1 is a much softer steel with ease of sharpening and corrosion resistance but not great edge holding or toughness. I think the nitrogen in BD1N is to allow for much greater hardness which is going to make this something different. The Nexus kitchen knives mentioned earlier are advertising 63 HRC. (and they are inexpensive so I bought one. It's really expensive to read this forum). Not sure where BD1N will land as far as being a balanced steel. Usually I like a focus on edge holding over other attributes so I'll hope that's one of the strong points.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:57 pm
I'm willing to bet it's not THAT much different than BD1. Slightly easier to sharpen than S30V but probably won't hold an edge quite as long. BD1 loses it rather quickly...but is a joy to sharpen. I'm hoping for more of the same with BD1N, but with slightly better wear resistance and edge retention.

I'll be honest, I too was a bit shocked at your excitement for it considering "better" steels you've said you will no longer purchase.

VG10 as a super steel makes me chuckle. Maybe in 1990! :p
VG10 is a super steel. :) for all the reasons I listed what I consider a super steel :)
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’m into the M4/cruwear/rex45 too, but the ease of obtaining a really wicked edge with BD1 sure is fun. “Stubborn” is a great way to describe sXXv steels! I guess I like the end members, BD1 to M4. I wonder how bd1n will perform?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I am really looking forward to finding out, will wait for the Para3 reports might buy one. The UK Pen knife is of interest also due to it's blade shape being so similar to a Stretch. Prefer locking knives though.