Yojimbo Love?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mako109

Re: Yojimbo Love?

Post by Mako109 »

Michael Janich wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:16 am
I have had a number of MBCers comment that the current Yo 2 doesn't fit their large hands, so there is a co concept for a larger version bouncing around inside my head. I, too, have been jokingly calling it a "Yojumbo," or a "Mo-jimbo." Don't know how Kurosawa or Mifune would feel about that...
According to Google Translate, the Japanese word for large is "ookii" (pronounced ou-key). So maybe "Yojimbo-Ookii"? That's even fun to say :)
blueeyedogre

Post by blueeyedogre »

IMG_1244.JPG
I opened up the handle by the forefinger to fit my mitt a little better and it made a world of difference. I also bit the bullet and did a regrind on it. Removed the "thumb riser" as my thumb sat in front of it anyway and gave it a more "yojimbo1" shape to the blade. I understand the reasoning behind the humped back on the 2 but I don't carry mine as a martial arts weapon so the trapping ability wasn't needed either. The end result was a Yojimbo that is a little sleeker, little less in the pocket, but just as great of an EDC knife as it was before.
Endura 2 Stainless 1, Endura 4 FRN, Delica 4 Emerson, Delica 4 FRN, Delica 4 Wairncliffe, Matriarch, Catcherman, Harpy Stainless, Cricket Stainless, Paramilitary 2, Native 3, Ronin 2, Yojimbo 2, Chinook, UK Penknife, Captain, Bug, Temperance, Kumo, Jerry Hossom Woodlander, Spydercard,
vivi

Post by vivi »

sal wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:32 am
Time and use is usually what refines a design to warrant an "upgrade". Mike had a lot of time between the Yo and the Yo 2 to see what he would change. I will say that Mike is always working on designs, and I don't want to say more than that. But as mentioned, what would you want to see in a "3" version?

sal
Sal, there are three things I would like to see happen to the Yojimbo series.

1. XL version. I'm not limited to a certain blade length where I live.

2. Different lock. I have much more confidence EDCing backlocks and CBBL.

3. Change the thumb placement. The thumb rest feels just a bit too forward. If it could be shifted back by about 2.5mm I think that would give a more ergonomic experience during cutting tasks, whether they are utility or not.

I don't expect any of these changes to align with Mr. Janich's vision for his design, but since you asked for input I wanted to offer mine.

I owned both Yojimbos and the Ronin 2, and currently only the Ronin remains in my collection. I like the extra blade length and the blade steel used on the Ronin 2, and there's no chance of it accidentally opening :)
:unicorn
Cloudpath

Post by Cloudpath »

Ladies and Gentlemen, the perfect knife: The Yojimbo-Smock Hybrid

Remove a small amount of handle material so that when the Yojimbo is in the closed position there is a lightly jimped smock-style seamless flipper tab at the end

Add a smock-style button to actuate the compression lock

You now have the most utilitarian, best self-defense, most ergonomic, imminently figetable knife of all time!!!

IMO, this would be an improvement over both the Smock and the Yojimbo, combining the best aspects of each. Is there any way we can get something like this??
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

sal wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:32 am
Time and use is usually what refines a design to warrant an "upgrade". Mike had a lot of time between the Yo and the Yo 2 to see what he would change. I will say that Mike is always working on designs, and I don't want to say more than that. But as mentioned, what would you want to see in a "3" version?

sal
How did I miss this thread? A little late to the party here but what would I like to see in a Yo3?

1. CBBL
2. A slight flatening or rounding of the point on the spine where handle transitions to the blade.
3. FFG and removal of distal taper (as suggested by David)
4. Something different with the clip. I'm not sure what could be done, but it's not my favorite tip up or down. Tip down the handle is thick at the top, tip up the handle pokes me a little when Im sitting. I took the clip off of both my Yo2's. I just got an M4 and I'm gonna leave the clip on and see how I feel about it. I might try an aftermarket clip. Maybe a wire clip?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
markg

Post by markg »

You know, can't think of what I would do to improve this knife. I have been on this train from the beginning and the 2 is darn near the perfection of the design. I can see it maybe being too small for really large hands but other than that I can't see any improvements.

As for a lightweight version... This is not a heavy knife to begin with so not sure what you would gain trimming it up. Also, one of the hidden advantages of a lightweight is that they often see a cost savings. This is not (all things considered) an expensive knife, so not sure what kinda cost savings you would get making a lightweight.

For what it is and what it is intended to do, it is pretty much perfect for me.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, All:

Thank you for a great discussion and for your continued passion for the Yojimbo 2. It's humbling to have created something that folks enjoy so much.

I have looked hard at the possibility of creating a Yojimbo with a Ball Bearing Lock. Unfortunately, from a design standpoint, it doesn't work--unless you add a substantial index-finger choil. One of the significant advantages of the Compression Lock is that, when it is unlocked, it disappears completely out of the path of the blade and offers the entire interior space of the handle for the blade to nest. Ball Bearing Locks, back locks, and other lock mechanisms that are in line with the blade consume real estate in the handle and require a very different design philosophy.

One of the key characteristics of the Yo 2 blade design is the ability to cut with power at the heel of the edge. This is particularly important with my preferred reverse-grip tactic--Palisut. This involves hooking and redirecting with the apex of the blade spine and your wrist. At the bottom of the redirection, you roll your hand over and index the heel of the edge. With the Yo 2 blade configuration, the cutting mechanic are immediate and powerful. With an index-finger choil, you tend to snag or the effect of the cut is diminished by the unsharpened area at the heel.

Again, thank you for a great discussion and your continued interest in one of my proudest achievements.

Stay safe,

Mike
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

I am a big Yo2 fan too and generally like it as is. I am not a fan of ball bearing lock because I find it awkward to operate, and the compression lock works great except when I am wearing heavy gloves/mittens. I would not object to a longer version and one without the long spine / short transition to the point. Something between the Yo 2 and original Ronin.
In Cruwear :)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Michael Janich wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:23 am
Hey, All:
I have looked hard at the possibility of creating a Yojimbo with a Ball Bearing Lock. Unfortunately, from a design standpoint, it doesn't work--unless you add a substantial index-finger choil. .........
Stay safe,

Mike
The compression lock remains my favorite locking mechanism. Though it would have been cool to have a CBBL lock on a Yo3 for a few reasons, if doesnt work for the design, it doesnt work. And I will still be very happy with the compression lock :D

I'm sure it's been asked and you may have answered before, but given that something as thin as a Delica can be an effective tool, do you have any strong objection to a full flat grind?

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

honestly, there is not much i like about the yojimbo when folded in my pocket, but it's just such a cool knife that i can't help but love it and carry it anyway. any critique i could come up with has to do with the knife as it sits in my pocket. unfortunately, the things that make it less than stellar in my pocket also make it the amazing tool it is.

what did it for me was seeing the video on all the design features. watching a designer talk about each aspect of the knife and the purposes behind every detail really makes me appreciate it much more. especially when that knife isn't just art, but is also functional across domains. the yojimbo is brilliantly designed as a self-defense weapon, but is also very handy as an every day cutting tool. you can't beat that.

the only change i'd really like to see (and i believe i've already said this) is to have it made in lc200n. full salt or not, i'd like to be able to carry the yojimbo in my waistband without worrying about sweat. i'm also much more likely to utilize my salt blades when i have to cut anything wet. i know other steels are fine in these areas, but my salt knives just seem to beg to be used more than other steels.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Image :D

ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:20 am
Image :D
looks great. if there was a blacked out yojimbo salt in lc200n, i’d be asking my wife for forgiveness.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:34 am
looks great. if there was a blacked out yojimbo salt in lc200n, i’d be asking my wife for forgiveness.
Thanks always wanted a Black M4 Yo2. A LC200N version would have some good all weather/ all terrain function to it.

RobDigi

Post by RobDigi »

Really can't think of anything...its good as is.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Im a big fan of the Yojimbo/Ronin family.
Id like a fixed compact carbon steel blade in the style.
Ohh, wait ....

Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The only thing I would change are the finger grooves, they make it unusable for me. Smooth those down and it would be 100% better for those of us who don't have tiny mits!

I'll never cry about one being FFG...
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Hey all I was checking out Instagram yesterday when I saw a modded Yo2 that I think checks a lot of the boxes of what some of us would like to see in a Yojimbo 3.

I'm not saying this is exactly what I'd want, but I thought it was definitely worth sharing. I asked him if I could post these here and Knives_and_stuff_001 (asmith001 here on the forum) was nice enough to say yes. This knife is up for auction on his Instagram page at the moment. (I have no affiliation with him)

The mods are flattened spine and finger groves, smooth g-10, swedge, and acid/stone wash main bevel.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Looks pretty good, the swedge is kinda handsome. I still kinda prefer my own mods but I'll of course be watching any news of a Yojimbo 3.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

always seems to find it's way into my pocket.

Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:17 pm
Hey all I was checking out Instagram yesterday when I saw a modded Yo2 that I think checks a lot of the boxes of what some of us would like to see in a Yojimbo 3.
BINGO. A couple of fellow Yojimbo fans and I were admiring that pic when it was first posted and we were all thinking the same thing.