Thank You - Chap Fixed

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JS_KnifeNerd

Thank You - Chap Fixed

Post by JS_KnifeNerd »

Hey, it's JS_KnifeNerd :spyder:
I'm sorry I am really quite late to post this. A while back I got some responses to one of my posts saying that as a solution to my Chap's stiff lock I could disassemble it and move the spring. Thanks to the good maintenance gear you guys suggested, and Candy from Spyderco, I was able to do the surgery. It turned out great, Candy helped me and, tada it's fixed.
Thank you all for being such a help :)
Wartstein

Re: Thank You - Chap Fixed

Post by Wartstein »

JS_KnifeNerd wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:20 pm
Hey, it's JS_KnifeNerd :spyder:
I'm sorry I am really quite late to post this. A while back I got some responses to one of my posts saying that as a solution to my Chap's stiff lock I could disassemble it and move the spring. Thanks to the good maintenance gear you guys suggested, and Candy from Spyderco, I was able to do the surgery. It turned out great, Candy helped me and, tada it's fixed.
Thank you all for being such a help :)
That´s good, as one of those who tried to explain what you could do, I was wondering if you did the fix.
Do you happen to remember how far forward you had to remove the spring?

I myself am totally happy with the lockbar tension of my Chap, but sure it is the hardest to depress of all my Spydies, and I can imagine that maybe a bit TOO hard for the hands of a kid.

And may I ask once more: How do you like the Chap generally? I liked mine from the beginning (though normally I am more into bigger blades), but after really using in several and even some kind of woods- and bushccraft-tasks, I am absolutely amazed what that little thing is capable of and what the thin blade can take.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:44 am
Do you happen to remember how far forward you had to remove the spring?
I've moved the springs in both of mine and it was about a 1/8" (3mm) maybe even less. It doesn't take much to make a significant difference.

viewtopic.php?p=1192027#p1192027
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Spyderco should totally get this kid into some kind of summer internship. :)
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:27 am
Spyderco should totally get this kid into some kind of summer internship. :)
Seconded! Yes.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

So I read the title and thought you were asking for a fixed blade chaparral. I'm glad you knife was fixed but now also want a chaparral fixed blade lol
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
JS_KnifeNerd

Post by JS_KnifeNerd »

Thank you all so much! To answer the question, overall I love my chap. However, this does not stop my search for the perfect Spyderco for me. Though compared to all of the other pocket knives I've carried, it is by far the best. I am constantly looking down and seeing the engraving and feeling truly happy because it reminds me of this great community. By the way, I would love to get an internship at Spyderco! Honestly, if anyone can make that happen, I'm all for it.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JS_KnifeNerd wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:17 pm
Thank you all so much! To answer the question, overall I love my chap. However, this does not stop my search for the perfect Spyderco for me. Though compared to all of the other pocket knives I've carried, it is by far the best. I am constantly looking down and seeing the engraving and feeling truly happy because it reminds me of this great community. By the way, I would love to get an internship at Spyderco! Honestly, if anyone can make that happen, I'm all for it.
I any case the Chap is a great starter for a collection (and I am sure eventually you´ll have one... ;) ).

For me it is a knife which will never be my most carried, BUT of which I am also absolutely sure it will NEVER have to leave. It´s just so good at any knife-task for such a small blade, and I throw it always in my pocket (or clip it to my waistband) on the rare occasions when I would have not carried a knife (but rely solely on a small leatherman or the like) previous to owning the Chap.

Actually I had it with me on a trail-run just this morning, attached two pics while having breakfast break during that run.. ;)
Attachments
Chap Jausn.jpg
Chap 2.jpg
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)