Caribbean love.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BigKenbo

Caribbean love.

Post by BigKenbo »

I am really intrigued by the Carribean but have not found one to put my hands on. I am pretty sure i want one, and would love to hear anything anyone likes or loves about them, or even anything y'all think might need improving. Thanks all in advance for any answers!!!
Native 5 S110V G10 and LW. S90V LW. Salt LC200N. Maxamet. S30V G10 and LW. Endura 4 ZDP-189. HAP40. VG10.
vivi

Re: Caribbean love.

Post by vivi »

I've heard nothing but good things about them. I don't own one, but LC200N has been working well for me in my Waterway.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

You could say I'm a fan.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83276

The only significant changes I'd make are maybe change the scale pattern somehow to do away with the black spot in the middle, bring out some other color options (even if just solid black and/or black and DLC), give it the Shaman treatment with thicker/rounded scales. Those are all more on the wish list than deal breakers. The black and yellow is a love it or hate it thing, I keep thinking I'll dye mine but I also think the color is part of what makes it different, and in a world full of black slab scaled knives it's good to have something different.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

BigKenbo wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:53 pm
I am really intrigued by the Carribean but have not found one to put my hands on. I am pretty sure i want one, and would love to hear anything anyone likes or loves about them, or even anything y'all think might need improving. Thanks all in advance for any answers!!!
Gifted my son a leaf PE Carribbean last year for his fishing hobby ! He absolutely loved it , But found he left it at home when taking the boat out Because of how "nice" it was. I bought him a SE pacific salt for the boat work knife.

I got a Carribbean for myself and really enjoy the knife. The handle has great ergos and I like how the cutting edge comes all the way back...no choil. I "feel" like it's a folding mule!

The Carribbean is overlooked IMO because of color/texture or the scales! I realize that aesthetics plays a big part in our purchasing habits!

I really like it and highly recommend the Carribbean!

James
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:59 pm
I've heard nothing but good things about them. I don't own one, but LC200N has been working well for me in my Waterway.
Thank you.
Native 5 S110V G10 and LW. S90V LW. Salt LC200N. Maxamet. S30V G10 and LW. Endura 4 ZDP-189. HAP40. VG10.
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

Extra330SC wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:34 pm
BigKenbo wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:53 pm
Gifted my son a leaf PE Carribbean last year for his fishing hobby ! He absolutely loved it , But found he left it at home when taking the boat out Because of how "nice" it was. I bought him a SE pacific salt for the boat work knife.

I got a Carribbean for myself and really enjoy the knife. The handle has great ergos and I like how the cutting edge comes all the way back...no choil. I "feel" like it's a folding mule!

The Carribbean is overlooked IMO because of color/texture or the scales! I realize that aesthetics plays a big part in our purchasing habits!

I really like it and highly recommend the Carribbean!

James
Thank you. Nothing youd improve? Im not scared of the color on the scales. Vivi is impressed with the lc200n, do you like it also?
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:26 pm
You could say I'm a fan.

The only significant changes I'd make are maybe change the scale pattern somehow to do away with the black spot in the middle, bring out some other color options (even if just solid black and/or black and DLC), give it the Shaman treatment with thicker/rounded scales. Those are all more on the wish list than deal breakers. The black and yellow is a love it or hate it thing, I keep thinking I'll dye mine but I also think the color is part of what makes it different, and in a world full of black slab scaled knives it's good to have something different.
Thank you. To make sure i understand, you think perhaps the handle is a touch slim? I kind of like the color, no chance of mistaking it for any other lol! I share Vivi's admiration for the lc200n any thoughts there, either positive or negative?
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

Vivi wrote:
Another quick question, i dont have the breadth of experience with the steels a lot of you have, and my native is very new to me. As far as performance is there another steel you might compare it to? Thanks again.
vivi

Post by vivi »

BigKenbo wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:46 pm
Vivi wrote:
Another quick question, i dont have the breadth of experience with the steels a lot of you have, and my native is very new to me. As far as performance is there another steel you might compare it to? Thanks again.
It reminds me of a rust proof VG10 so far. Maybe slightly better edge retention. I really like how it sharpens, it's quick and responsive to my sharpmaker.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

BigKenbo wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:43 pm
Evil D wrote:
You could say I'm a fan.

Thank you. To make sure i understand, you think perhaps the handle is a touch slim? I kind of like the color, no chance of mistaking it for any other lol! I share Vivi's admiration for the lc200n any thoughts there, either positive or negative?
I really like the steel so far. It really reminds me of a carbon steel in how it sharpens and I'm getting extremely sharp edges with it. I wouldn't say it's thin at all, it's on par with any other Spyderco in thickness, I just really prefer thicker and rounded/contoured handles for ergonomic reasons. The scale texture is very effective without being abrasive.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I wouldn’t change a thing on my PE leaf, not a thing.

The sharpening response on LC200N is wondrous, and edge-holding is pretty **** good.

Ergos are perfect for my hand. But a word of warning. If you are accustomed to choils, don’t absent-mindedly fondle your Caribbean...
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

[/quote]BigKenbo

Thank you. Nothing youd improve? Im not scared of the color on the scales. Vivi is impressed with the lc200n, do you like it also?
[/quote]

I haven't used it daily like S30V, 52100, S35VN, and S90V to give you any solid feedback on the steel. I wouldn't change anything on the knife though. ..I like the looks, ergos, and build quality!

James
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:59 pm
BigKenbo wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:46 pm
Vivi wrote:
It reminds me of a rust proof VG10 so far. Maybe slightly better edge retention. I really like how it sharpens, it's quick and responsive to my sharpmaker.
Thank you for the information. I am liking it but ive only had the native salt for like 5 days, so i havent really developed a strong opinion yet.
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 pm
BigKenbo wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:43 pm
Evil D wrote:
You could say I'm a fan.

I really like the steel so far. It really reminds me of a carbon steel in how it sharpens and I'm getting extremely sharp edges with it. I wouldn't say it's thin at all, it's on par with any other Spyderco in thickness, I just really prefer thicker and rounded/contoured handles for ergonomic reasons. The scale texture is very effective without being abrasive.
Great information thank you!
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:19 pm
I wouldn’t change a thing on my PE leaf, not a thing.

The sharpening response on LC200N is wondrous, and edge-holding is pretty **** good.

Ergos are perfect for my hand. But a word of warning. If you are accustomed to choils, don’t absent-mindedly fondle your Caribbean...
Word!!! I will remember!
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

Extra330SC wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:32 pm
BigKenbo

[/quote]

I haven't used it daily like S30V, 52100, S35VN, and S90V to give you any solid feedback on the steel. I wouldn't change anything on the knife though. ..I like the looks, ergos, and build quality!

James
[/quote]

Excellent thank you!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

take this with a grain of salt (hehe) since i don’t own one, but more than the looks, the handle shape is what keeps me from trying one. i personally hate a really wide end on the handle, especially with a prominent hook like the caribbean has. the native has one that is similar, but smaller, and it’s my least favorite thing about the knife. i wish the caribbean handle was shaped more like the manix or resilience.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
vivi

Post by vivi »

I love that hook. One of the reasons I like the Manix XL so much.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

(For the record: Don´t own/never handled a Caribbean, just looked at it on pics and in vids)

- On the "hook": I think that actually is a very good feature on a handle, the more so, the bigger/heavier the knife itself is (but also on light knives). The "hook" is why I prefer the Stretch 1 over the Stretch 2 handlewise (Stretch 2 does not really have one anymore)

- On the Caribbean: For me it is kind of funny, how people quite often (not in this thread admittedly) emphasize the large amount of cutting edge you get with this knife in relation to the overall size (" cutting edge of a Military in the size of a PM2" and the like). I read the same when it comes to Spydie Chef, Ikuchi ... don´t get me wrong, I am the first one who wants a good cutting edge / overall length ratio and I am sure I´d love the Caribbean for that aspect! It´s just, that for a long time people pointed out how great the typical Spyderco finger choil is (and it sure IS, ergonomically speaking, but sacrifices cutting edge), and now it sometimes almost sounds like Spyderco made a new invention by dropping the choil on some knives for more edge, and still those knives offer obviously great ergos.
For me personally the typical Spyderco choil was the one thing I did NOT really like in their designs (and still do not like in knives like the Manix 2 or the Native, but rather would like to see more cutting edge), but learned to get used to and even like it on many models over time.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I did not buy a Caribbean for one major reason: the lock. If it were a backlock like the other Salt models I would be sorely tempted. As it is, I really get turned off my detent dependent locks.

I am with ladybug93. With my large hands, I prefer no hook on the pommel. I like the way the Military is done in that regard.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050