More K390?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
blues
Member
Posts: 270
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:49 am
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns

Re: More K390?

Postby blues » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:35 am

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:37 pm
There are Manix 2 exclusives in K390 coming up? How did I miss that?

Who's doing them?
Where was this reported? Thanks in advance.

User avatar
DougC-3
Member
Posts: 3428
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:22 pm
Location: The zone between the zone... between the zone...

Re: More K390?

Postby DougC-3 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:22 am

blues wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:35 am
TomAiello wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:37 pm
There are Manix 2 exclusives in K390 coming up? How did I miss that?

Who's doing them?
Where was this reported? Thanks in advance.
I'm afraid this must have just been hypothetical talk about the ones we were fantasizing :confused:
:spyder: :cool:
Upcoming on my spydie-radar: M4 Dodo, 20CV M2, LW Lil' Native, then LW P3 or Sage 5? brown DLC M390 M2? ;) :spyder:

User avatar
blues
Member
Posts: 270
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:49 am
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns

Re: More K390?

Postby blues » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:02 am

^^^^ Was afraid that might have been the case. Thanks.

User avatar
youmakemehole
Member
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:42 am

Re: More K390?

Postby youmakemehole » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:11 am

Pelagic wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:27 pm
This is probably the best steel, all around, that spyderco has ever offered.

I like M4 a lot because at the hardness it's offered at it is a tougher option than k390, but k390 from a high performance standpoint has it all (aside from corrosion resistance). More k390 is always good.
What makes you say that it is the best? I've never tried K390 so i'm just genuinely curious. Most all steel testers have consistently rated its performance lower than Maxamet, REX45, 4v, and ZDP, but of course it is all in a controlled non-real world environment, REX and 4v are pretty **** tough as well, only lacking in corrosion resistance. Would you maybe want to enlighten me on why your own experiences have led you to believe otherwise? Thanks :)
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal

TomAiello
Member
Posts: 3202
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 pm
Location: Twin Falls, ID

Re: More K390?

Postby TomAiello » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:25 am

I would rate Maxamet above K390 in edge holding, below it in toughness. But I'd put K390 above Rex45 and ZDP in toughness, and in line with them in terms of edge holding. And the reverse for 4v (k390 matches it's toughness with longer edge holding). Those are just me casual use observations though--no actual scientific testing.

I'd say that calling it the best all around steel Spyderco has offered is pretty defensible, depending on what you value. The other contender (for me) would be Maxamet. But obviously if you value corrosion resistance highly, you're going to pick something else.

User avatar
steelcity16
Member
Posts: 2855
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 am

Re: More K390?

Postby steelcity16 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:36 am

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:25 am
I would rate Maxamet above K390 in edge holding, below it in toughness. But I'd put K390 above Rex45 and ZDP in toughness, and in line with them in terms of edge holding. And the reverse for 4v (k390 matches it's toughness with longer edge holding). Those are just me casual use observations though--no actual scientific testing.

I'd say that calling it the best all around steel Spyderco has offered is pretty defensible, depending on what you value. The other contender (for me) would be Maxamet. But obviously if you value corrosion resistance highly, you're going to pick something else.

This is surprising to hear as I have seen it compared mostly to M4 in the toughness category. And when BBB compared M4 to Rex45, Rex45 seems to be even tougher than M4 (when carving brass rods at least). And 4V should in theory be tougher than all of them. If you feel like you are experiencing Rex45 and 4V levels of toughness in your K390 blade, even without scientific testing it sounds like a steel I need to try for myself ASAP. :D
:spyder: Enjoys long walks on the beach with rustproof lightweight folding knives. Must love Boye Dents and deep carry wire clips. :spyder:

User avatar
steelcity16
Member
Posts: 2855
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 am

Re: More K390?

Postby steelcity16 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:39 am

sal wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:13 am
TomAiello wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:04 am
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I'd love to see the Chaparral sprinted with different blade steels. It would be fantastic in K390.

I know that changing the steel on the Chap is contrary to the spirit of the project (and honestly I don't expect to see it happen), but the Chap LW would make a great platform for sprints in exotic steels.
Perhaps the LW might be possible.

sal

How did I miss this "bombshell"???? This gives me hope for a Chap LW Salt in LC200N!! :D I'll take a K390 Chap LW as well. This is my other favorite model alongside my Natives.
:spyder: Enjoys long walks on the beach with rustproof lightweight folding knives. Must love Boye Dents and deep carry wire clips. :spyder:

User avatar
steelcity16
Member
Posts: 2855
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 am

Re: More K390?

Postby steelcity16 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:04 am

sal wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:45 pm
Hi Marulaghost,

Welcome to our forum.

On the K390, there are plans.

sal

If the plans are for a full run of Seki sprints in unclad K390 with Navy FRN, then count me in for a Dragonfly at least! And may I request to perhaps replace the Meerkat or Manbug with the Jester in this round of sprints? People have been asking for a new Jester for years now and these other two models seem to be slow sellers. And maybe replacing the Stretch with the Endela as the Stretch seems to be a slow seller as well? So count me in for a K390 Dfly, Jester, and Endela! :D
:spyder: Enjoys long walks on the beach with rustproof lightweight folding knives. Must love Boye Dents and deep carry wire clips. :spyder:

TomAiello
Member
Posts: 3202
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 pm
Location: Twin Falls, ID

Re: More K390?

Postby TomAiello » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:15 am

I think the current problem for K390 (not with K390, but for it) is that it's only been available in fairly "specialty" models. Urban and Police are very small and very large, respectively, for most users.

If we had a K390 Millie, Para2, Para3 run, I bet you'd see people gushing about it on the internet just like Rex45.

The Seki models aren't my personal favorites (except the Dragonfly, which is a favorite for me), but I'd definitely be into k390 runs there. I'd really like to see it in Golden though. Manix, Native, Military--those I'd absolutely love.

User avatar
steelcity16
Member
Posts: 2855
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 am

Re: More K390?

Postby steelcity16 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:21 am

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:15 am
I think the current problem for K390 (not with K390, but for it) is that it's only been available in fairly "specialty" models. Urban and Police are very small and very large, respectively, for most users.

If we had a K390 Millie, Para2, Para3 run, I bet you'd see people gushing about it on the internet just like Rex45.

The Seki models aren't my personal favorites (except the Dragonfly, which is a favorite for me), but I'd definitely be into k390 runs there. I'd really like to see it in Golden though. Manix, Native, Military--those I'd absolutely love.

I wonder if people would go crazy for Golden models in CPM-10V in the same way as K390? K390 seems to have more brand recognition than CPM-10V, even though they are essentially the same from what I understand. Similar to how M390 has more cachet than CTS-204P and especially CPM-20CV. Which is weird since K390 and M390 are foreign steels and the others are domestic (assuming you are in the USA :D ).

I'd like to try K390/CPM-10V in a Native. We need an M390/CTS-204P/CPM-20CV Native as well!
:spyder: Enjoys long walks on the beach with rustproof lightweight folding knives. Must love Boye Dents and deep carry wire clips. :spyder:

User avatar
Mattysc42
Member
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:58 pm

Re: More K390?

Postby Mattysc42 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:57 pm

10v, pma11, and k390 are all steels I’d buy without any doubt or hesitation on any manix 2, manix xl, shaman, or native sprint. If sal ever feels like making a non-salt version of the caribbean, these steels are my first hope and choice (unless there is maxamet! We need more maxamet). I’m REALLY hoping for the manix xl and shaman sprints though. I could happily replace all of my knives with these two and the caribbean in a variety of steels and have zero desire to buy anything else.
Everyone is crazy in their own special ways. Good thing too! The world wouldn’t be nearly as interesting otherwise. ;)

Top 5 knives I’ve owned: Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, Native LW, Laconico Keen.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, MAXAMET, CPM S90V, ZDP-189, CPM M4.
Top 5 steels I want: CPM 20CV, K390, CPM 4V, VANAX, REX 45.

User avatar
Vivi
Member
Posts: 5666
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: More K390?

Postby Vivi » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:57 pm

Mattysc42 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:57 pm
10v, pma11, and k390 are all steels I’d buy without any doubt or hesitation on any manix 2, manix xl, shaman, or native sprint. If sal ever feels like making a non-salt version of the caribbean, these steels are my first hope and choice (unless there is maxamet! We need more maxamet). I’m REALLY hoping for the manix xl and shaman sprints though. I could happily replace all of my knives with these two and the caribbean in a variety of steels and have zero desire to buy anything else.
I'm with you on some Manix XL sprints.

TomAiello
Member
Posts: 3202
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 pm
Location: Twin Falls, ID

Re: More K390?

Postby TomAiello » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:34 pm

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:21 am
I wonder if people would go crazy for Golden models in CPM-10V in the same way as K390? K390 seems to have more brand recognition than CPM-10V, even though they are essentially the same from what I understand. Similar to how M390 has more cachet than CTS-204P and especially CPM-20CV. Which is weird since K390 and M390 are foreign steels and the others are domestic (assuming you are in the USA :D ).
Is it because the M390 and K390 were the first to really hit the general market in the knife world? I don't really know, but I agree that there is some weird market bias there. It's like people don't realize that 204P/20cv/m390 are really all the same.

User avatar
rabbitanarchy14
Member
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:25 am
Location: Michigan, USA, Earth
Contact:

Re: More K390?

Postby rabbitanarchy14 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:27 am

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:04 am
If the plans are for a full run of Seki sprints in unclad K390 with Navy FRN, then count me in for a Dragonfly at least!
yes this for me to. And may I request to perhaps re make the michael walker knife in k390 as well.
In-Possession - Para 3 S30V, Para 3 S35VN, Para 3 Red G10 M390, Dice XHP, Lil Native S30V, Manbug Vtoku 2, Benchmade 555HGBlu, Ontario Rat 2 Green G10
On-Deck - Para 3 LW, Sage 5 FRN, Sage 1, Brouwer, Native 5 Salt LC200N
Wishing-For - Lil Native LW compression 20CV and sprints, Para 3 LW Cruwear and Sprints
Past Knives - Byrd Crow 2 in BD1, Manix 2 S110V, Cat G10 BD1, Delica 4 Blue, Manix 2 S30V, PM2 S35VN

User avatar
Pelagic
Member
Posts: 1926
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:49 pm
Location: East Coast/Nomadic

Re: More K390?

Postby Pelagic » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:50 pm

youmakemehole wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:11 am
Pelagic wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:27 pm
This is probably the best steel, all around, that spyderco has ever offered.

I like M4 a lot because at the hardness it's offered at it is a tougher option than k390, but k390 from a high performance standpoint has it all (aside from corrosion resistance). More k390 is always good.
What makes you say that it is the best? I've never tried K390 so i'm just genuinely curious. Most all steel testers have consistently rated its performance lower than Maxamet, REX45, 4v, and ZDP, but of course it is all in a controlled non-real world environment, REX and 4v are pretty **** tough as well, only lacking in corrosion resistance. Would you maybe want to enlighten me on why your own experiences have led you to believe otherwise? Thanks :)
https://youtu.be/4Sdp8Rjo1i0

Research it. And yes I've used k390.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?

User avatar
Albatross
Member
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:13 pm

Re: More K390?

Postby Albatross » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:53 pm

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:50 pm

https://youtu.be/4Sdp8Rjo1i0

Research it. And yes I've used k390.
Don't the mules run a bit harder? Either way, K390 is no slouch and has excellent edge strength.

The intros to Pete's videos are gold.
sal wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:01 pm

...But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of "deigning in the dark"...

sal

User avatar
Pelagic
Member
Posts: 1926
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:49 pm
Location: East Coast/Nomadic

Re: More K390?

Postby Pelagic » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:56 am

Albatross wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:53 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:50 pm

https://youtu.be/4Sdp8Rjo1i0

Research it. And yes I've used k390.
Don't the mules run a bit harder? Either way, K390 is no slouch and has excellent edge strength.

The intros to Pete's videos are gold.
Shouldn't be much harder than the police, which is close to 64.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?

User avatar
youmakemehole
Member
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:42 am

Re: More K390?

Postby youmakemehole » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:18 pm

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:50 pm


https://youtu.be/4Sdp8Rjo1i0

Research it. And yes I've used k390.
Oh wow, that video might've just finally done it a proper representation. The reason why I asked was becuase all my previous research had led me to think otherwise. I don't doubt your experience with it at all hence why I asked.
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal

User avatar
Albatross
Member
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:13 pm

Re: More K390?

Postby Albatross » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:32 am

https://youtu.be/w1g55hNEjqA

Something I meant to add to the discussion yesterday. Oops. Anyway, this should help show the edge strength(stability). As a bonus, S110V and Cruwear are also tested in the same video. It's a lengthy one though.
sal wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:01 pm

...But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of "deigning in the dark"...

sal

User avatar
DougC-3
Member
Posts: 3428
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:22 pm
Location: The zone between the zone... between the zone...

Re: More K390?

Postby DougC-3 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:58 pm

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:34 pm
I'm eager to try some K390, but I think the size of the P4 is a bit much for me. Otherwise it's perfect.

Here's what I'm after, K390 with as high a hardness as Spyderco is willing to make, a THIN blade stock, and a blade under 3". No liner locks or slip joints.

IDEAS:
Delica (G-10 or FRN)
Chaparral LW
PE Hawkbill Dragonfly

An exeption to the under 3 inch requirement I'd be willing to make would be for a Wharncliffe Endura.

Opinions?

What I really want in K390 is a C67GF R (R Nishijin), which is for all practical purposes a "Little Police" (any scale material OK). I hope to post some comparison pics in a separate thread later. The R is very much like a stocky small version of the Police and complete with a nice choil but shorter handle and blade, about the size of the Endela.

My second choice would be the Endela, which would be great also, but lacking the choil of the Police and R. Or, if a Taiwan-made knife could be used I'd like the Sage 5 over the Chaparral, which is too small for an EDC for me (sorry OP ;) ). I'd prefer the Sage 5 over the Endela because of its choil and nice Manix-like design :cool:

I'd like any of these with as thin a blade or grind as Spyderco would be willing to use.
Last edited by DougC-3 on Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:spyder: :cool:
Upcoming on my spydie-radar: M4 Dodo, 20CV M2, LW Lil' Native, then LW P3 or Sage 5? brown DLC M390 M2? ;) :spyder:


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Accutron, blueblur, BornIn1500, Catamount123, DutchBlades, hom76, Pelagic, sok, StuntZombie, Theldraskien and 29 guests