byrd lockbacks

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
rabbitanarchy14

byrd lockbacks

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

is it just me or do i just have bad luck. i have purchased 3 robins from bladehq and sent at least 2 back to be swapped. the action on a byrd is not the same as a df. is this a byrd thing or a qci thing?
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
carrot

Re: byrd lockbacks

Post by carrot »

I carry my Byrd Robin2 as an EDC with a larger Spyderco. I actually prefer the design to the Dragonfly 2 (which I still like quite a lot). That Robin, along with my other most-used Byrd, a Cara Cara2, are easily among my smoothest opening folders.

I've bought a fair number of Byrds now and I agree the final finishing isn't even close to Seki standards. Some come pretty good, but most come a little gritty or tight. However, after using them a little they do loosen up and become just as smooth as their Spyderco counterparts.

I have a feeling that the Byrd lockback factory is not taking the last step to knock off any burrs or rough spots from manufacturing. But normal use does break them in very nicely, so it's not a long term user problem.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I agree with carrot. The final touch of deburring lockbar or handle edges are sometimes lacking. They do break in after a while by using them. An exception would be one Cara Cara that I need to file the last part of the tang curve (just before the lockbar drops into the notch) so it is less bumpy. That’s 1 out of 6 Cara Caras.
Having said that, I have one Stretch that requires similar treatment but on the side of the lockbar rubbing against the liner. So in my experience, it’s not that bad.
Chris :spyder:
Donut

Post by Donut »

I sent in a Byrd lock back a few years ago because it didn't feel like any Spyderco lock back I've ever owned, it felt loose and I wanted to make sure it was safe. They said it was in tolerance.

I think there is less friction involved with a Byrd because the FRN is different (feels more like plastic) and there is more of a full liner on them.

I think I like the additional Japan FRN friction and the lesser liners.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

I took my Cara Cara 2 (g10) apart and cleaned and oiled it, and it made a world of difference. I can't help think the oil used in China is cheap or the wrong kind.
cali

Post by cali »

I bought CC2 Rescue recently ans indeed the finiah of the lockback is a bit rough, but on the other hand the fit is better than in Spyderco lockbacks made in Japan. The up-down blade-play is very little. I am a bit suprised.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Just ordered G10 Robin two days ago, and now I see this.

Murphys law to the max :D
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Bought two Robins, G10 and stainless. Stainless lock was stiff initially but after oiling and working the lock (open and closed) it freed up nicely. No problem at all with the G10.
Both knives are worthwhile purchases. So much so that my S.O. has claimed the stainless model.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

My little dwarf just arrived.

More than happy with QC considering the price, though the outer side of the lock (the side pressed on the blade when open) showed up dark. Hope it doesn't rust quickly.

Switching of the clip to the other side not so easy as with Spyderco, though the screws come in with a little pressure. Not sure how much it will hold as I think I didn't even get a full turn before I reached the end.

All in all, this will be my beater for some time now. If it doesn't dissapoint me with something :D