Yojimbo Love?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
benben

Re: Yojimbo Love?

Post by benben »

I love my Yojimbo 2, the shape, the size, the weight, the action is so smooth. I just wish it had a tough tool steel.
agony

Post by agony »

Love my Yo2's. I would love a Yojumbo....3.75~4 inch blade would be perfect.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

How abt a run of the original Ronin's in 20CV? They are going for $300+ right now and nobody can get their hands on one.

https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/kni ... 01674.html
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
PStone

Post by PStone »

+1 for a larger version “Yojumbo”
Although, “Sanjuro” would make a great name too ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:00 pm
How abt a run of the original Ronin's in 20CV? They are going for $300+ right now and nobody can get their hands on one.

https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/kni ... 01674.html
I've played with both but for me the 2 is significantly better in every way. The only thing the 1 has that I wish the 2 had was a full flat grind but without the distal taper so the tip isn't wafer thin.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Blueeye,

I sure like my Carbon Fiber S90V version :D

As to "Other Warncliffe's" While Mike is an advocate of the Warnie shape, his designs are far more than "just another Warnie".

I'm sure Mike is following this thread, so this is the place to share thoughts with him on your preferences.

sal
ST1513

Post by ST1513 »

The Yojimbo 2 fits my hand very well, I'm glad I got the CPM-M4 version because I find the blade suited very well for everyday tasks. I live in a desert climate and my blade hasn't developed much patina and there has been no rust issues so far. I was hoping the patina would have been further along by now. I dyed the natural green G-10 a dark red color and it's great.
Spyderco Yojimbo 2 CPM-M4 Natural G-10, Spyderco Paramilitary 2 CTS-204p Dark Green G-10.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I’m a little surprised there hasn’t been an Emerson waved version of the Yo2. Quicker deployment can’t be a bad thing on a SD knife, surely.
blueeyedogre

Post by blueeyedogre »

sal wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:05 pm
Hi Blueeye,

I sure like my Carbon Fiber S90V version :D

As to "Other Warncliffe's" While Mike is an advocate of the Warnie shape, his designs are far more than "just another Warnie".

I'm sure Mike is following this thread, so this is the place to share thoughts with him on your preferences.

sal
Yer killing me Sal...... Absolutely killing me!!
I love the idea of a YoJUMBO. One of the tweaks I had to do to my Yojimbo was sand the finger bolster a bit to fit my hand more comfortable (I have big mitts) and I rounded the edges of the scales a little. I know it was a purpose driven design by Mike but for me it is my favorite EDC knife and use it for everything from dismantling boxes, cutting up old rigging and harnesses, to camp food prep and debreasting some partridge on last years hunt. I already have 2 more Yojimbos still in their boxes in my gunsafe in case this design ever does the way of the dodo( another design I'd love to get my hands on).
Endura 2 Stainless 1, Endura 4 FRN, Delica 4 Emerson, Delica 4 FRN, Delica 4 Wairncliffe, Matriarch, Catcherman, Harpy Stainless, Cricket Stainless, Paramilitary 2, Native 3, Ronin 2, Yojimbo 2, Chinook, UK Penknife, Captain, Bug, Temperance, Kumo, Jerry Hossom Woodlander, Spydercard,
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:10 am
I’m a little surprised there hasn’t been an Emerson waved version of the Yo2. Quicker deployment can’t be a bad thing on a SD knife, surely.
It would likely get in the way of thumb placement and not be ideal for Filipino grip, unless they moved the hook down to the front slope of the blade but that may not work as well.
~David
Cryptohominid

Post by Cryptohominid »

Hi all. I’ve lurked here for a while but this thread pushed me to sign up and register my opinion. I only got my first Yojimbo 2 a few weeks ago and it has become my favorite EDC. I have 30+ years in martial arts and this is the best always handy self defense knife I’ve ever had. And it is always handy because of the ease of carry and the fact that it’s a perfect work knife for what I do as well. I’m a sculptor in film and TV productions and it’s out of my pocket several times a day to cut patterns, trim molds, etc... I am grooving on it so hard I have a carbon fiber/20CV on the way. My wife will not be pleased😬.

All that to say I hope this knife stays I production much as it is for the long haul. I do have large hands, and would definitely bite on the YoJumbo idea already floated. And as long as I’m making wishes, k390 plz. 🙂
sal

Post by sal »

Hi ST1513, Cryptohominid,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Donut

Post by Donut »

I'd be curious to hear if Mike has swapped out the Delica in his back pocket with a Wharnie version. I think the normal version would carry a little better than a Wharnie.

I was out of town last week and was thinking that there needs to be a very inexpensive or Byrd Wharnie in case people are travelling to a place where something could get confiscated or lost or something.

I was going to look for a CLB designed Wharnie, but with all the new Wharnies coming out I should probably just wait. The Dragonfly Wharnie might be a good option.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

I wanted so badly to love the Yojimbo...sadly the handle doesn't fit my hand.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Cryptohominid

Post by Cryptohominid »

Thank you, Sal. I’m also looking forward to the lightweight Police 4, love my P4 in K 390!

As a side note, I will avoid emojis in the future. Those things are HUGE. LOL.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Cryptohominid wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:57 am
Thank you, Sal. I’m also looking forward to the lightweight Police 4, love my P4 in K 390!

As a side note, I will avoid emojis in the future. Those things are HUGE. LOL.

If you use your phone's emojis like this.. 🤔

Then they're huge, but the forum's emojis are normal size :D
~David
Cryptohominid

Post by Cryptohominid »

:spyder: Well, that makes sense.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, All:

Thank you very much for your enthusiasm for and feedback on the Yojimbo.

I have had a number of MBCers comment that the current Yo 2 doesn't fit their large hands, so there is a concept for a larger version bouncing around inside my head. I, too, have been jokingly calling it a "Yojumbo," or a "Mo-jimbo." Don't know how Kurosawa or Mifune would feel about that...

At the time I designed the Yo 2, adding a Wave wasn't really an option due to licensing concerns. Although I've ground a few custom versions with Waves for private students, the best off-the-shelf solution is the bolt-on "Pickpocket" from 5x5 Combat Solutions. They do a great job. The down side of relying on any Wave with MBC knives is that adding an identical Wave to the Yo 2 trainer makes training in reverse grip much less enjoyable. Hooking tactics (aka Palisut) take their toll on your partner's wrist.

We have explored doing an Exclusive of the original Ronin, but the price was prohibitive. If you're Jonesing for a retro Ronin, Mickey Yurco does a custom version (with Spyderco's kind blessing) that is very close. He uses shorter handle scales and uses the finger choil as the retention point for the sheath. Combined with the gradual plunge on his grind, that approach makes the fit and function of his sheaths phenomenal.

And, yes, my back pocket Delica is now a Wharnie. Specifically, it's a SpyderEdge Delica 4 Wharnie, which gives me a rope and seat belt cutter, as well as a box cutter from ****.

Thanks again to all!

Stay safe,

Mike
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Michael Janich wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:16 am
there is a co concept for a larger version bouncing around inside my head.

I think I can speak for other large handed individuals and say it would be nice if the handle only had one prominent index finger choil, sort of like the Yojimbo 1 had. This way as long as your finger isn't so huge that it doesn't fit in that choil, the rest of your hand will be comfortable. As much as I like the Yojimbo 2 handle, the grooves are just too narrow for my hand. The Street Beat is a good example of this, despite being a fairly small handle it still feels great in my hand.
~David
PStone

Post by PStone »

Michael Janich wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:16 am
Hey, All:

... have been jokingly calling it a "Yojumbo," or a "Mo-jimbo." Don't know how Kurosawa or Mifune would feel about that...
I had thought the same thing and suggested Sanjuro.