Yojimbo Love?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
blueeyedogre

Yojimbo Love?

Post by blueeyedogre »

So the first Yojimbo came out in 2005, the Yojimbo2 in 2012.... It's been 7 years, can we hope for a Yojimbo3?!? Especially with all the Wharncliffe love that's going around lately?
Endura 2 Stainless 1, Endura 4 FRN, Delica 4 Emerson, Delica 4 FRN, Delica 4 Wairncliffe, Matriarch, Catcherman, Harpy Stainless, Cricket Stainless, Paramilitary 2, Native 3, Ronin 2, Yojimbo 2, Chinook, UK Penknife, Captain, Bug, Temperance, Kumo, Jerry Hossom Woodlander, Spydercard,
ladybug93

Re: Yojimbo Love?

Post by ladybug93 »

what do you want to see change? i just got on the yojimbo train at the end of last year and i love it. personally, i could go for some refined ergonomics and a salt version in lc200n, but i’m pretty happy with the knife the way it is. maybe adjust the pocket clip location and shave a little off the hump that protrudes and makes it sit awkwardly in the pocket?
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
sal

Post by sal »

Time and use is usually what refines a design to warrant an "upgrade". Mike had a lot of time between the Yo and the Yo 2 to see what he would change. I will say that Mike is always working on designs, and I don't want to say more than that. But as mentioned, what would you want to see in a "3" version?

sal
blueeyedogre

Post by blueeyedogre »

Lightweight version? Sprint run steels? Personally, after a few slight mods, I LOVE my Yojimbo2...... I've been searching for years for a Yojimbo1 and by god one day I will find one. I EDC my Yojimbo2 everyday and would just enjoy collecting and having a few variations of it to interchange. I tried switching it up with a delica4 Whaincliff but I find the delica just to small and to light for me. I've EDC'd my Yojimbo on every vacation (Mexico and Jamaica) and I live in constant fear that it will end up lost or "confiscated" but not enough to give up carrying it. lol
I think Mike hit it out of the park with the Yojimbo and would just love to see it get some love like some of the other models.
Endura 2 Stainless 1, Endura 4 FRN, Delica 4 Emerson, Delica 4 FRN, Delica 4 Wairncliffe, Matriarch, Catcherman, Harpy Stainless, Cricket Stainless, Paramilitary 2, Native 3, Ronin 2, Yojimbo 2, Chinook, UK Penknife, Captain, Bug, Temperance, Kumo, Jerry Hossom Woodlander, Spydercard,
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd be in for a 3.75 inch version. Of course like all knives I'd love to see a rounded handle. Probably never happen but keep the same general shape as the 2 but round and contour the handle as much as possible and do it in 3D FRN like the D'Allara 2 and bump it up to 3.75 inch. That's my dream wharnie. I'd be ok with all that in the current size too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

blueeyedogre wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:41 am
Lightweight version? Sprint run steels? Personally, after a few slight mods, I LOVE my Yojimbo2...... I've been searching for years for a Yojimbo1 and by god one day I will find one. I EDC my Yojimbo2 everyday and would just enjoy collecting and having a few variations of it to interchange. I tried switching it up with a delica4 Whaincliff but I find the delica just to small and to light for me. I've EDC'd my Yojimbo on every vacation (Mexico and Jamaica) and I live in constant fear that it will end up lost or "confiscated" but not enough to give up carrying it. lol
I think Mike hit it out of the park with the Yojimbo and would just love to see it get some love like some of the other models.
I am sure you are aware of this anyway, but just in case you should have missed it still: There is a wharncliffe Endura available now. Sure a very different knife to the Yojimbo (longer overall, thinner blade and so on), but since you mentioned you tried a wharncliff Delica and it was to small for you, maybe you´d like to give the Wharnie Endura a try?
I don´t own one myself ,just regular Enduras, but those I really do like.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
blueeyedogre

Post by blueeyedogre »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:06 am
blueeyedogre wrote:
I am sure you are aware of this anyway, but just in case you should have missed it still: There is a wharncliffe Endura available now. Sure a very different knife to the Yojimbo (longer overall, thinner blade and so on), but since you mentioned you tried a wharncliff Delica and it was to small for you, maybe you´d like to give the Wharnie Endura a try?
I will for sure be picking one up once they start showing up north of the border. Same with the new dragonfly whairnie..... Love whairncliffs.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

blueeyedogre wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:15 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:06 am
blueeyedogre wrote:
I will for sure be picking one up once they start showing up north of the border. Same with the new dragonfly whairnie..... Love whairncliffs.
Great! Hope you´ll share your impressions on the forum then, would like to read those.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SalomonA

Post by SalomonA »

I would love one that had thinner blade stock like the pm2 or even thinner at 2.5mm. This plus any other modifications that could make it a better slicer and everyday user for simple cutting tasks. There is only a few options out there for wharncliff compression lock spydercos, and this one is my favorite design out of them. Just wish it was a little thinner so that it could be better for tasks like slicing fruit and cutting up containers. I know that the Yojimbo 2 wharncliff was designed for self defense, but it is also my favorite blade style because of how easy it is to sharpen and because of its ease of doing simple cutting tasks like opening boxes.

EDIT: I am aware of the blades like the wharncliff delica and endura, but i really prefer spydercos with compression locks and the q-ball has the thicker stock blade as well.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Bring on the Yojumbo!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Love Michael Janich's Yojimbo2, but would like to see a slightly gentrified version...contoured handles, removal of hump, and maybe thinner 0.14" blade stock as already mentioned. But wait a minute, I think I'm describing this (but with compression lock)...!

It also makes an appearance on @ 2:38 on Mike's YouTube Video "Evolution of the Spyderco Yojimbo 2"
https://youtu.be/1ddOdONCCqU

IMO the most beautiful version of the Yojimbo yet...
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Let's not forget that there were other versions of this design, like the Snody model Mako posted but also the Blackhawk "Be-Wharned" in between Spyderco versions.

I understand the reasons MJ had for making the changes he did, and I think it makes sense as a purpose-driven knife. I don't use it that way, so I'm not going to comment. If there's anyone who can speak to the effectiveness of the design, Janich is the guy with the right connections for evaluation and for making the update happen. (And Sal's statement is a good indication things are being considered carefully.)

For my purposes, I love the edge and the compression lock. I like the Yo2 almost as much as the Para2 for a pocket-friendly knife that still destroys boxes and excels at other around-the-shop daily cutting tasks.
But if we could get a design that represents a compromise between the ultimate SD knife and the ultimate urban-gent Wharncliffe...

I do like slimmer handle shapes better. The compression lock doesn't need the width in the bolster area for lock strength, so I'd love to see a model that's slimmed down.
I'd also like to see a front-flip opening option to the tang, though it's not by any means going to improve the flickability, just make it more versatile. Maybe add a glass breaker to the flipper, maybe not.

I loved the long handle of the original Yojimbo. Also the Blue.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I just had a random thought, that if they'd make a Shaman wharnie it would fit a lot of my wishes..
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:28 pm
I just had a random thought, that if they'd make a Shaman wharnie it would fit a lot of my wishes..
Interesting idea!
I have to admit, I haven't ever used a Wharncliff blade extensively, so I can't really weigh in here.
But just in theorie I have the feeling, that an EDC-User-Wharnie should have a rather thin blade (so other than the Shaman) to really show it's full potential (but then, that's probably true for most knives that are mainly used in normal knife-tasks).
What do you think?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:36 pm
Evil D wrote:
Interesting idea!
I have to admit, I haven't ever used a Wharncliff blade extensively, so I can't really weigh in here.
But just in theorie I have the feeling, that an EDC-User-Wharnie should have a rather thin blade (so other than the Shaman) to really show it's full potential (but then, that's probably true for most knives that are mainly used in normal knife-tasks).
What do you think?
Wharnies are one blade shape where I don't mind a thick blade because of how thin the tip ends up being. I also prefer they NOT have distal taper as that only exaggerates how thin the tip is. If they'd make the Yo 2 in FFG without any distal taper the tip would still be thin and pointy but thick enough to do utility work without worrying about breaking the tip. The blade is also tall enough I think it could be thin enough behind the edge to slice decent.
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:50 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:36 pm
Evil D wrote:
Interesting idea!
What do you think?
Wharnies are one blade shape where I don't mind a thick blade because of how thin the tip ends up being. I also prefer they NOT have distal taper as that only exaggerates how thin the tip is. If they'd make the Yo 2 in FFG without any distal taper the tip would still be thin and pointy but thick enough to do utility work without worrying about breaking the tip. The blade is also tall enough I think it could be thin enough behind the edge to slice decent.
Thanks for the insight! Appreciate that, since, as said, I have very little practical experience when it comes to Wharnies.
And you are right, the (current) Shaman has very good slicing ability despite the thick blade and due to the height of the blade which makes up for it's thickness
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Evil D wrote:
A Shaman wharncliffe with a stretched-out handle (more like the original Yojimbo) would be an instant sale for me. All the edge length where it counts, just enough handle meat for a useful grip, thick bladestock for a great lockup and smooth inertial opening...
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

From what I can see, and what others report, the handle on the Yojimbo seems very well though out. If it will support one’s hand during violent and low-traction conditions it will do an excellent job for everyday use I’m thinking. For my world I would like to see one that retains the fine ergonomics but has a blade more oriented to daily use than combat — thinner, perhaps with a straight spine (jimping would be optional considering the handle ergonomics), FFG and that fine Wharncliffe blade.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Just make it a bit longer and take the finger grooves off the handle. Everything else was fantastic. I really liked the shape of the grip, but the finger grooves were meh.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I have 3 - Yojimbo 2's. One in S30V and two CF in 20CV, and they are beautiful knives. I carry them for self defense, and I think Mr Janich and Spyderco have done an excellent job with this knife.

The entire knife is excellent. The blade seems to be well designed for self defense, not too thin, not to thick. The handle's scalloped finger groves are just what the Dr ordered. I would not change the overall style of the knife.
Evil D wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:05 am
I'd be in for a 3.75 inch version. Of course like all knives I'd love to see a rounded handle. Probably never happen but keep the same general shape as the 2 but round and contour the handle as much as possible and do it in 3D FRN like the D'Allara 2 and bump it up to 3.75 inch. That's my dream wharnie. I'd be ok with all that in the current size too.
YES! Put me down for a 3.75 inch version in 20CV too. Just enbiggen it! It will rock! Just remember to do one thing, set ONE aside for me, because I never get in on the sprint runs.
Mako109 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:49 pm
Love Michael Janich's Yojimbo2, but would like to see a slightly gentrified version...contoured handles, removal of hump, and maybe thinner 0.14" blade stock as already mentioned. But wait a minute, I think I'm describing this (but with compression lock)...!

It also makes an appearance on @ 2:38 on Mike's YouTube Video "Evolution of the Spyderco Yojimbo 2"
https://youtu.be/1ddOdONCCqU

IMO the most beautiful version of the Yojimbo yet...
That is a sexy knife! Looks like it would be excellent at thrusts. But to me this is another knife entirely, which Spyderco could manufacturer. I would not replace the Yojimbo 2, I would manufacture them both.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/