Who's for replacing ZDP-189 with HAP40 laminate in regular production?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

Re: Who's for replacing ZDP-189 with HAP40 laminate in regular production?

Post by TomAiello »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:48 pm
I'd take a ukpk or urban in zdp - would like to have a legal carry option that holds a fine edge well.

Spydercos zdp offerings are such a bargain
I agree that would be amazing. But with ZDP coming from Japan, the UKPK in Golden and the Urban in Maniago, I don't think it's likely, unfortunately. :(
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

Dreaded wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:50 am
There’s plenty of offerings in Hap40, I would be a resounding no on this one. Not to mention Hap40 sprints are usually around the longest with some still being available from 2017. I believe this is due to the stainless cladding and everyone knowing that after 10 seconds of use it looks horrible. Not really user knives.
This calls for more DLC HAP40!
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Dreaded wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:44 pm
SpyderScout wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:32 am
Dreaded wrote:
Not really user knives.
Why not?

I hope scratches dont keep you from using a knife.
I feel a knife shouldn’t be tore up from cutting up boxes within the first 5 minutes. Just my opinion of course. I hope it hasn’t offended you.
:) Not offended at all. Cant see, why I would be. You are pretty entertaining after all.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Dreaded wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:44 pm
SpyderScout wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:32 am
Dreaded wrote:
Not really user knives.
Why not?

I hope scratches dont keep you from using a knife.
I feel a knife shouldn’t be tore up from cutting up boxes within the first 5 minutes. Just my opinion of course. I hope it hasn’t offended you.
Hi Dreaded, I sure hope YOU did not feel offended by the comments on your previous post! Of course it is totally fine if one enjoys his/her knives more when they stay shiny and not scratched. I can totally get that and there are probably other things than knifes where I would feel the same.
Thats why I stated in my comment, how good and interesting of a thing it is that we are all different (and Spyderco still makes knives for almost any preferences ;) )
Just I personally actually like it when my knives look used and scratched up. But then, I am really not much of an collector or the like, I just keep knives that get actually used.

Greetings from Austria / Europe, have a nice day!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I said it before and I’ll say it again, the soft cladding that scratches even before you use it has to go. I use my VG 10 Delica at work every day on cardboard. It is scratched, and I don’t mind, but NOTHING like what that SUS whatever would be. Even for a workhorse knife. Don’t like it.
- best wishes, Jazz.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Jazz wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:21 am
I said it before and I’ll say it again, the soft cladding that scratches even before you use it has to go. I use my VG 10 Delica at work every day on cardboard. It is scratched, and I don’t mind, but NOTHING like what that SUS whatever would be. Even for a workhorse knife. Don’t like it.
I dont mind scratches in the SUS410 at all. It adds character.
I recently started using this one for example. It has gotten a very light surface scratch or two on the SUS410. No problemo - quite the contrary.
Its an awesome knife and I sincerely hope we see more like it in the future. This knife became an instant favorite.
Great that Spyderco offers combinations like V-Toku2/SUS410 in an affordable package from a vendor like KnifeCenter, where I got mine from.
Last edited by SpyderScout on Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

No thank you. ZDP is working just fine.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

In honor of this thread, I am EDCing my ZDP dragonfly 2 today, and I have swapped my normal Ladybug (HB salt) for my ZDP one (which normally sits in my desk drawer). :)
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

I haven't seen this much love for ZDP-189 here before. I guess sometimes you have to suggest taking something away to really draw out its fans 😉
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:35 pm
In honor of this thread, I am EDCing my ZDP dragonfly 2 today, and I have swapped my normal Ladybug (HB salt) for my ZDP one (which normally sits in my desk drawer). :)
Ill break out the Caly in honor of the most excellent ZDP :D
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ok, I guess I'll have to do something in favour of the HAP 40 camp and carry my Endura in this steel... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ferider

Post by ferider »

"Who's for replacing ZDP-189 with HAP40 laminate in regular production?"

I might be OK with this, if and only if they would heat-treat HAP40 like Rex 45, and make a Manix XL out of it. :D

Jokes aside, this is the only threat that I've seen during my still young presence on this forum, where members encourage Spyderco to reduce their steel port-folio. Amazing :)

Roland.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

SpyderScout wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:17 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:35 pm
Ill break out the Caly in honor of the most excellent ZDP :D
Haha a couple days ago I checked this thread and my Caly 3.5 ZDP went into my pocket immediately afterward. :)

A ZDP Manbug rides in my watch pocket at least once or twice per week.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

Respectfully i have enduras in both and i say NO NO NO NO NO!!! they are both great! I could see both side by side, but they are unique enough imho to NEED both. I would just hate to see the ZDP endura go away. I would equally love for everyone to get an expanded opportunity to own one in hap40 however.
Native 5 S110V G10 and LW. S90V LW. Salt LC200N. Maxamet. S30V G10 and LW. Endura 4 ZDP-189. HAP40. VG10.
Will Rogers

Post by Will Rogers »

After reading this thread, I searched online for articles comparing knife steels, to see what they had to say. But I can't find any that include Hap40 in the comparison. Is there a steel similar to Hap40 with a different name that might be included in any of these articles?
David R

Post by David R »

Michael Christy did a direct comparison of these two a few years ago.
Will Rogers

Post by Will Rogers »

Yes, I watched that video. But it doesn't even mention ease of sharpening - the video is entirely about edge retention. I understand that if you're a steel expert comparing two high-end steels like ZDP-189 and HAP40, ease of sharpening isn't an issue: you already have the tools to sharpen either equally well. But most people who buy knives aren't steel junkies. They want a knife that cuts and doesn't have to be sharpened too often - and when it does need to be sharpened, they can do so in a few minutes. They don't have to take a day off work to sharpen a knife.

So given there are so many Spyderco knives out in ZDP-189 or HAP40 or both, I'd like to know just how long they both take to sharpen. If it take longer than about three or four minutes to sharpen a knife, I'm moving on to a different steel.
David R

Post by David R »

I think it's toward the middle (? - haven't watched it in a while) he covers getting ZDP hair whittling vs. HAP40. I seem to recall HAP40 being easier to get sharp as opposed to ZDP. In my limited experience I think HAP40 is easier to sharpen. Hard to know without having the same blade geometry side-by-side.

Sharpening time really depends on condition of the blade, stones, and skill level. I can get either quite sharp in a few minutes. This is for a standard sharpening, not removing chips or other dealing with other issues. I've been using diamond stones on an EdgePro. Last time I did the ZDP with softer stones it took a while, but it was also a messed up edge that needed a fair amount of work. I think you could maintain either in a few minutes if you don't let them get too dull. Arkansas stones and ZDP... that may be a challenge.

I like them both. Not sure I have enough experience with either to have a preference. My ZDP stretch cut like crazy sharpened at ~1000 grit. Possibly my most regretful trade.
Will Rogers

Post by Will Rogers »

OK, I must have missed that - that's useful information.

My sharpening skills are limited. I have a Sharpmaker, with the standard brown and white rods. If I can't sharpen a knife with this, I should get out the knife hobby and take up fishing - which I might not be any more successful at, but which will keep my stress level much lower.
Last edited by Will Rogers on Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'd rather see it replaced with whatever is Japanese Cruwear equivalent. SRS-15 maybe? Solid (unclad) of course.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red