Favorite horror movies?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Re: Favorite horror movies?

Post by JD Spydo »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:48 pm
James Y wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:20 pm
I do remember Lost in Space, and in particular an episode with a giant cyclops. I loved that episode.
Bloke when I was a kid I looked so forward to each Wednesday night when our KC affiliate would show the next episode of "Lost In Space". That Robot used to crack me up even as a kid and Dr. Smith was someone you just wanted to reach into the screen and smack guy as hard as you could :rolleyes:

And it always seemed like young Will Robinson had more instinct than anyone else on the crew. Hard to believe that June Lockhart is still alive. I remember her back in the original LASSIE series in the late 50s, early 60s. But she's still around GOD love her. And Billy Mumy who played Will Robinson has actually gotten more famous from his iconic Twilight Zone episodes instead of his acting he did on the Lost In Space TV Show.

But BLOKE how do you rate that in the horror genre?? BLOKE ol' buddy do you scare that easy :rolleyes: . I heard that reruns of Lost In Space got really popular in Australia as well as a couple of other countries and I also heard that in your country of Australia that they had Lost In Space conventions at one time with Jonathan Harris ( the guy who played Dr. Smith) being at all of them.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

The Land of the Lost Sleestak's scared me as a kid but I wouldn't consider it horror. As a matter of fact I can, faintly,remember episodes of Scooby Doo that would creep me out....jeepers!

:)
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
James Y

Post by James Y »

Bloke wrote:
James Y wrote:
I do remember Lost in Space, and in particular an episode with a giant cyclops. I loved that episode.
Thanks for that, Bloke! :)

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:53 am
The Land of the Lost Sleestak's scared me as a kid but I wouldn't consider it horror. As a matter of fact I can, faintly,remember episodes of Scooby Doo that would creep me out....jeepers!

:)

Don't feel bad. I remember when little being a bit creeped out by an episode of the original Johnny Quest cartoon called "The Invisible Monster".

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Here is a scene from "Carnival of Souls" (1962), a film I consider excellent, in spite of its very low budget. The director really understood mood, lighting, etc. The entire film has a surreal, alternately realistic/dreamlike/nightmarish quality.

https://youtu.be/XS-PRypBdIM

*I sure wish I could embed videos on this forum; I can do it on other forums, no problem.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Forgot about this one! Kinda corny now..but freaked me out when I was a kid.
https://youtu.be/gy9julGwUmo
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:38 am
Bloke wrote:
James Y wrote:
Bloke when I was a kid I looked so forward to each Wednesday night when our KC affiliate would show the next episode of "Lost In Space". That Robot used to crack me up even as a kid and Dr. Smith was someone you just wanted to reach into the screen and smack guy as hard as you could :rolleyes:

And it always seemed like young Will Robinson had more instinct than anyone else on the crew. Hard to believe that June Lockhart is still alive. I remember her back in the original LASSIE series in the late 50s, early 60s. But she's still around GOD love her. And Billy Mumy who played Will Robinson has actually gotten more famous from his iconic Twilight Zone episodes instead of his acting he did on the Lost In Space TV Show.

But BLOKE how do you rate that in the horror genre?? BLOKE ol' buddy do you scare that easy :rolleyes: . I heard that reruns of Lost In Space got really popular in Australia as well as a couple of other countries and I also heard that in your country of Australia that they had Lost In Space conventions at one time with Jonathan Harris ( the guy who played Dr. Smith) being at all of them.
Hey Joe, I used to love Lost In Space when I was a little tacker and I don’t recall it ever scarring me.

Per my earlier posts demonic possession really rattles me and as a matter of fact I was home alone last night (my wife has been staying with her mum who’s unwell) and was ready to got to bed when an advert came on the TV for some new demonic possession type movie starting at the cinemas here (don’t know what it’s called and don’t care). By the time I fumbled for the remote to switch it off, I’d heard more than I saw but as per normal it rattled me.

Long story short I didn’t have nightmares which I don’t have anyway but I had scarry dreams about the priest in the stinking Exorcist and had a disturbed night’s sleep. True as I type. :eek:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

James Y wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:09 pm
Thanks for that, Bloke! :)

Jim
You're most welcome!

I loved Lost In Space and don't think I ever missed an episode. Even way back then I thought the costumes and make up the spacemen and aliens wore were silly. Ah, hahaha! :)
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

My favorite back when I was a kid was Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein.

When I was in college, I took my girlfriend to see an old school widescreen, 70mm, double bill of Ken Russell's The Devils and Jodorowsky's El Topo. Darn near killed the girl. Oddly enough I thought they were great.

My current fav is Venom, if just for the kiss.

https://youtu.be/kXn_ml96mx4
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well tomorrow night I've got my tickets for the new PET SEMATARY movie here at my local town theatre. It's really hard to believe that it's almost been 30 years since I seen the first rendition of PET SEMATARY>> Hard to believe how well the late Fred Gwynne played his part in the original>> and to think at one time he played "Herman Munster" in the old "MUNSTERS" TV show from the 1960s :rolleyes:

I always thought Denise Crosby was hot :D She was even good in that other Star Trek show. The part of the original PET SEMATARY where "Gage" ( her reincarnated son) threw her out of the attic with a hangman's noose securely around her neck really made my blood run cold :eek: And then he proceeded to jump on Louis ( his daddy) and tried to carve him up with his own daddy's surgical scalpel :eek: >> no it's not a movie for anyone struggling with anxiety disorders :rolleyes:

Nor is it a movie to show at a day care for kids under 10 years of age :eek: But if you like really mean horror movies the original was truly a classic in it's own rite. Can't wait to see what the new one is going to be like. Maybe I should go to my Doc's office today and get some Xanax before I go to the movie tomorrow night :D >> but I will keep you all posted regardless :D
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:35 am
Well tomorrow night I've got my tickets for the new PET SEMATARY movie here at my local town theatre. It's really hard to believe that it's almost been 30 years since I seen the first rendition of PET SEMATARY>> Hard to believe how well the late Fred Gwynne played his part in the original>> and to think at one time he played "Herman Munster" in the old "MUNSTERS" TV show from the 1960s :rolleyes:

I always thought Denise Crosby was hot :D She was even good in that other Star Trek show. The part of the original PET SEMATARY where "Gage" ( her reincarnated son) threw her out of the attic with a hangman's noose securely around her neck really made my blood run cold :eek: And then he proceeded to jump on Louis ( his daddy) and tried to carve him up with his own daddy's surgical scalpel :eek: >> no it's not a movie for anyone struggling with anxiety disorders :rolleyes:

Nor is it a movie to show at a day care for kids under 10 years of age :eek: But if you like really mean horror movies the original was truly a classic in it's own rite. Can't wait to see what the new one is going to be like. Maybe I should go to my Doc's office today and get some Xanax before I go to the movie tomorrow night :D >> but I will keep you all posted regardless :D
I'm interested to see what you think about the movie after you've seen it. I still want to rewatch the original Pet Sematary movie.

I barely go to movie theaters anymore. The last time I went was about 6 months ago, and it was a long time before that. The majority of the horror movies nowadays over-rely on 'jump scares', which in the past was sometimes effective if used sparingly. When over-used, it becomes a cliche; you can see it coming from a mile away, and it's yawn-inducing instead of scare-inducing.

The only movie I'm anticipating on possibly seeing at a theater when it comes out is "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" (not a horror film, obviously), which, IIRC, isn't due for release until July. And even then, I may wait until after its theatrical run is over to watch it.

Jim
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Jim, well, I don't know how real this claim is, it would be worth checking out. Some time back I had a discussion with someone about "weird science experiments" and he told me that many decades ago, in Soviet Russia, when the USSR was in power there, the scientists performed a horrific experiment: He claimed they hooked a dog up to various meters and instruments, and brought it to death, draining its blood and fluids, and then attempted to re-animate it. His claim was that the dog was reanimated, but it was no longer a fun-loving pooch, but rather, was more like something out of that Stephen King book and movie you mentioned: It was, according to his claim, a vicious monster and it tried to tear apart the commie scientists and they had to put it down permanently. That is very scary. I asked him "What do you think happened to the dog, if that really took place?" and he told me he believes some evil creature tried to come through into its body.

He may have read this or a similiar article:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... -life.html
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:22 pm
What do you think happened to the dog
James Y

Post by James Y »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:22 pm
Jim, well, I don't know how real this claim is, it would be worth checking out. Some time back I had a discussion with someone about "weird science experiments" and he told me that many decades ago, in Soviet Russia, when the USSR was in power there, the scientists performed a horrific experiment: He claimed they hooked a dog up to various meters and instruments, and brought it to death, draining its blood and fluids, and then attempted to re-animate it. His claim was that the dog was reanimated, but it was no longer a fun-loving pooch, but rather, was more like something out of that Stephen King book and movie you mentioned: It was, according to his claim, a vicious monster and it tried to tear apart the commie scientists and they had to put it down permanently. That is very scary. I asked him "What do you think happened to the dog, if that really took place?" and he told me he believes some evil creature tried to come through into its body.

He may have read this or a similiar article:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... -life.html
SEF,

I haven't heard about the scientists bringing a whole dog back, but I had heard about something like in that article/video. Severing that dog's head, then "bringing it back" via electrical stimulation was a gruesomely inhumane experiment. I don't feel they were the only ones who did such experiments. I'm willing to bet that stuff like that has gone in even here in some manner. In the case of the head, the electrical simulation probably triggered some residual life force that was still in the process of withdrawing from the dog's head when it was killed. The head's responses and eating were likely also reflexive in nature.

In terms of 'bringing a person or animal back from the dead', once the life force has completely left the body, IMO there is no way the spirit that originally inhabited that body can be brought back. Which is one reason I believe that Cryogenics is a scam. If any truly dead body (i.e., not just the death-like appearance of extremely slow vital signs, but truly dead) could ever be 'brought back', it would have to be something else coming in.

My favorite movie dealing with bringing the dead back to life is "Reanimator" (1985). I would post a link to the trailer, but I'm not sure it would be considered acceptable for this forum.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

My Pet Sematary review will have to wait till Sunday night. I had a minor emergency that I had to attend to this evening and I have to work for the next 2 nights. I was really bummed out big time because I was looking forward to it.

I did get to see a really wicked 8 minute long trailer on it today and it was impressive as well as reading Stephen King's own review of it which was very favorable. But I still didn't see anything more gross or gory than those 2 Andy Warhol movies I spoke about in two of my earlier posts on this thread.

But the part I seen with all the kids wearing animal masks sure wasn't in the original. And the guy that plays Jud Crandall doesn't rank with Fred Gwynne in the original at all. But I won't judge a book by it's cover and I'll go to see it Sunday night.

Oh speaking of horror films a good friend of mine called today that I hadn't heard from in quite some time. I told him I was going to try to take in the new Pet Sematary and he said that this current movie called "US" is really wicked and he thought I would enjoy watching that one as well. I'm wondering if any of you all have seen that one yet?
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:50 pm
My Pet Sematary review will have to wait till Sunday night. I had a minor emergency that I had to attend to this evening and I have to work for the next 2 nights. I was really bummed out big time because I was looking forward to it.

I did get to see a really wicked 8 minute long trailer on it today and it was impressive as well as reading Stephen King's own review of it which was very favorable. But I still didn't see anything more gross or gory than those 2 Andy Warhol movies I spoke about in two of my earlier posts on this thread.

But the part I seen with all the kids wearing animal masks sure wasn't in the original. And the guy that plays Jud Crandall doesn't rank with Fred Gwynne in the original at all. But I won't judge a book by it's cover and I'll go to see it Sunday night.

Oh speaking of horror films a good friend of mine called today that I hadn't heard from in quite some time. I told him I was going to try to take in the new Pet Sematary and he said that this current movie called "US" is really wicked and he thought I would enjoy watching that one as well. I'm wondering if any of you all have seen that one yet?
I haven't seen "Us" yet, but from the trailers I've seen, I'll have to catch it at some point. The director is Jordan Peele, who also directed the movie "Get Out" a couple years ago. I saw "Get Out", which got rave reviews, but I only thought it was okay. IMO, the best, most interesting character in "Get Out" was a woman psychologist (psychotherapist?) with a sinister ability ability at hypnosis/mind control. I think "Us" looks like a more interesting movie than "Get Out".

Jim
Icelandchuck

Post by Icelandchuck »

My two favs are Prince of Darkness, and Mister Frost.
Prince of Darkness has Alice Cooper in it. It has gore and mental facets, as well as an apocalypse vibe.
Mister Frost can be hard to find but really well worth the effort. You will never look at Jeff Goldblume the same after watching. It will freak you out from the first scence. More mental than P.of D.
SS Delica SE
Spyder Card PE
Centofante 3
REC Para 3
James Y

Post by James Y »

I saw The Mist (2007) again, and had completely forgotten how good a movie it is. One thing that Stephen King does well in his stories is show how human nature reveals itself when many people are stuck together in a small area. IMO, The Mist is also possibly the most heartbreaking of horror movies.

Jim
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I only enjoy horror movies if they are interesting to me. A bit of humor helps because I'm not the get frightened kind of guy. When I was a kid movies like "Andromeda Strain" frightened me mostly because of the suspense and the virus thing. Movies where people are supposed to frighten the watcher and be the bad guy rarely do anything but annoy me and usually have me asking "why haven't they just killed the guy yet?". People just don't scare me. I also hate the idea that people always fall as soon as they start running away like humans are too clumsy to do things like run, or refuse to try to protect themselves and just watch themselves get stabbed or whatever. I also dislike the strobe light thing, and absolutely destest how scared people in movies always seem to be walking backward right into the monster/bad guy/giant worm/whatever.

"Return of the living dead". Now that is my kind of movie! :) A movie I watched recently that I liked but nobody else seemed to was "The Objective". It had suspense and a compelling ( To me anyways) threat. It just didn't have a great ending.

Generally I like cheesy old movies like "2000 Maniacs" and yes, someone already mentioned "Reanimator". Not particularly scary but still enjoyable to watch now and then. Kind of like "Evil Dead". Same kind of camp.

When "The Exorcist" was released at the movies I was attending a Catholic prep school in Ohio run by Jesuits and one of the priests who was my teacher took one day of class to explain the ideas of the movie and how it dovetailed with Catholic doctrine as well as how exorcisms are really handled by the churches.Before an exorcism is permitted all medical , physical and psychological matters have to be investigated and ruled out. It must be a sort of nothing else worked thing. The person must request to be exorcised as well. There will be no forcing things. The "Ghost Adventures" TV show type exorcisms that just sort of happen do not represent the Catholic church even if the guy doing it at the time is a catholic priest. Church authorized and sanctioned rituals might take a couple years of research before they are given the go ahead. The church has it's own doctors, scientists ( of all kinds) and specialized tech people within it's own ranks of priests and brothers ( Monks) that can review medical and psychological testing to conduct investigations. It's no small thing to get an exorcism from the Catholic church. :)

It ( "The Exorcist") might have been frightening to me as a 7th grader but when I tried watching it recently I had a difficult time keeping from laughing too hard. Especially where the demon silhouette showed an erection almost as big as the whole body of the demon. :o

Poor Linda Blair had a rough job on that movie. I saw an interview where she stated the jumping bed scene actually caused a mild fracture of her spine from the impact. Not a cool thing to do to any actor much less a 12 year old kid or whatever she was then.

Joe
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:50 pm
I only enjoy horror movies if they are interesting to me. A bit of humor helps because I'm not the get frightened kind of guy. When I was a kid movies like "Andromeda Strain" frightened me mostly because of the suspense and the virus thing.

Joe
Andromeda Strain was and is a great movie. I loved it. I will never forget the scene where they cut open the guy's wrist and the blood poured out like sand.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050