Who else is getting an Ikuchi as soon as they are released?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cali HogHead

Re: Who else is getting an Ikuchi as soon as they are released?

Post by Cali HogHead »

Spydergirl88, what knife did you grab that short wire clip off of? Looks sweet!
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Cali HogHead wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:53 pm
Looks to be a dragonfly/ lil native wire clip.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:18 am
Cali HogHead wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:53 pm
Looks to be a dragonfly/ lil native wire clip.
Yes!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

It appears that the way your fingers line up on the clip and the handle hole your hand is in perfect position to roll that wheel. Excellent design. I also have a shorter clip kicking around but my hands are somewhat larger than yours it appears, so perhaps the stock clip will be fine. I suspect mine is bouncing around in a truck between here and Colorado Springs. Maybe Monday…
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
SG89

Post by SG89 »

^nice short black wire clip!
Spydergirl88
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Strange they came with a polished one, would have thought a muted one better. Oh well can always Acid wash the one I have.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

error
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:31 am
Nice photos! I like how the Ikuchi clip has fragments of your jeans pocket caught underneath. That's how my clips generally look too :)
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

8067426F-03D9-4EB6-8917-4F3869929A66.jpeg
Poor mans jimping
Poor mans jimping
Mine came today and I like it a lot. Nice and thin and weighs next to nothing. Put on a RG clip which IMHO looks and functions better than the wire clip. :)
Last edited by holeshot on Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
SG89

Post by SG89 »

holeshot wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:33 pm

Mine came today and I like it a lot. Nice and thin and weighs next to nothing. Put on a RG clip which IMHO looks and functions better than the wire clip. :)
Nice!
Spydergirl88
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Received mine today. First impressions:

- It was LSOOTB (love straight out of the box). Beautiful looking piece. I especially like how solid it feels for a small lightweight knife. Compared to the Benchmade 940-1 (CF version) which is closest in terms of weight and dimensions to the Ikuchi in my collection, the 940 feels plasticky. Never was a fan of the overpriced 940-1. For that price you can buy two Ikuchis and have money to spare!

- Tried both original clip and short clip (from Dragonfly). Either clip offers enough additional purchase on the knife to flip with index or thumb equally well. I wear a Mechanixs Medium sized glove, so factor that into your determination. I prefer the look of the shorter clip in my pocket.

- Tip is dangerously flush with the frame. The tip can easily catch skin as I gently slide my finger over the liners. I'm right handed. Clipped to RFP the tip is towards the seam of my pants and away from my hand, so no problem. However I often carry RBP with knife clipped on the side of pocket closer to the leg seam. Now the tip is exposed and can snag the side of my index finger as I slip my hand into the pocket.

Ikuchi w/short D'fly clip and BM 940-1 w/short Bugout clip.

Tip...scary close the edge.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

The tip on my ikuchi caught on my finger (no blood) when run alongside while the knife is closed. So I went over the tip with a fine sharpmaker stone and fixed it.
Spydergirl88
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Another fun way to open this knife is by depressing the lock momentarily and flicking your wrist at the same time. Blade flies out.
Spydergirl88
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:53 pm
The tip on my ikuchi caught on my finger (no blood) when run alongside while the knife is closed. So I went over the tip with a fine sharpmaker stone and fixed it.
Thanks Spydergirl88! Will be doing the same shortly :)
Colorodo

Post by Colorodo »

I just noticed that I have two small cuts on my pinky finger while handling it. I didn’t feel the cut until I went to wash my hands.
KhatSilverwing

Post by KhatSilverwing »

Figured that I'd register in order to share my impressions on the Ikuchi that arrived today.

What I like: The aesthetics and design of the flipper are great, exactly as expected from the images/videos available before release. What more is there to say? The simple, clean design is much of the reason why I bought it while reviews were still quite so limited.

Neutral: While I'm certain such would get a bit better with time as such is the nature of phosphor bronze washers, the movement isn't as smooth as I'd prefer. Sure I can play with pivot tension to make it better, but then there's more blade play. I'm attributing this in part to the usage of what look to be 0.25" diameter washers. Since others have already made comparisons to the 940-1, it looks to be using 0.5" diameter washers.

The dislikes: As others have pointed out, having the curve of the spine match the handle looks nice, having it go all the way to the tip poses a problem. Mine has already drawn blood while handling it fully closed due to this particular design choice. Sure it can be avoided by grinding the tip down, but that really shouldn't be necessary. The other marked issue is that the knife was marketed before launch as 2.1oz when in fact it's 2.4oz. While it's not much in absolute terms, that's still a 14% increase and makes the weight to length/handle/etc ratios far less enticing. Not certain what would have changed in the design to alter weight by quite that much. Again, since comparisons to the 940-1 have already been made, sans pocket clip (but still with screws for such) the 940-1 is 63.9 grams compared to 65.36 grams for the Ikuchi in the same state. With their default pocket clips the Ikuchi is only 1 gram lighter, not ~9 grams as the original specs implied.

Anyway, I don't particularly regret having picked one up as the only way to know about the neutral and negative points would've been to wait for full reviews and possibly have to wait for the next batch of knives to be available. But I don't believe I'll be keeping mine.
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

Received a pair of Ikuchis today. I realized within a few flips that my index finger was cut open and bleeding. The culprit appears to be the sharp point on the back side of the flipper wheel. Both of the ones I received are like this so I assume most are this way. Maybe it's my soft office hands but I have no interest in owning a knife that injures me when I open it.

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

^Ouch. Fortunately it looks like an easy fix with a bit of sandpaper.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
anycal

Post by anycal »

Peter