You're So Jaded...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderg

Re: You're So Jaded...

Post by spyderg »

Lol, I thought it was going to be about scales too! Much more interesting thread however.
I have knives for different things, camping, travel, yardwork, etc but the one category that matters most is my edc Knives. Yes I see the irony in having more than one knife in that category but although I typically rotate a few in that role, I’ve found the one for me too. Spyderco Smock. The only thing now is waiting and hoping for a sprint run, Cruwear perhaps?
In the meantime I still enjoy seeing what Spyderco, (and other companies, shhhh) are coming out with. Who knows, perhaps they’ll come up with something even better?! Or bring back something I missed out on, like the Tuff.
So for me the thrill hadn’t necessarily faded but my focus of attention has indeed changed. Especially since after collecting and using a bunch of different knives, I know what I really want from my knife. I guess it’s time to unload a few that don’t meet my personal criteria.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

I'm in the same boat Spydergirl88. My 'chase' slowed when I finally found the one. It was the S90V Ti/CF Military. It has been in my pocket almost everyday since. I still like my other Spydies and occasionally carry them, but the search has slowed.

If you have not found your ONE yet, don't give up the search. What's weird is that I had a DLC Military first. It was good, but missing the target. I decided to take a chance on the Ti/CF Military and it just clicked. Hard to explain it. I went crazy and even bought a backup. :D
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The journey, not the destination, that’s my Spyderco quest.

I started with the premise that there is no perfect knife for me, let alone a perfect one. But there are many near-perfect Spydies—what fun they are to rotate and (re)discover the Glessers’ intent—that my journey has turned up.

And that is only a part of my journey. The other is just watching the ingenious designs and executions that keep showing up to tempt me. I’m still that kid in the candy store.

So, not so jaded.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I shared a similar path of buying, trying, and selling many, many Spyderco knives hunting for the perfect ones for me. My tastes and preferences evolved over this time as well. I am now at a point where I know what I want in a knife and it has to check all the boxes (models, grinds, blade finish, scale material and color, steel, etc). I have only purchased one knife this year (m4 DLC Native) and I don't have many others on my radar right now. Thats not to say that I wouldn't buy 50 knives if all of my dream exclusives and sprints came to fruition! If Cruwear, 3V, 4V, and new Golden made Salt models start coming out of the woodwork then look out!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The chase, the chase, the chase!!
Wheres that Province!!?? :D :D
foofie

Post by foofie »

I have found two that work well for me - and it has actually made the :spyder: chase a bit more fun.

Case in point - I love the new Ikuchi. I can't wait to try it out - for so many different reasons. If I get one with the first release - fine. If I miss out on the first batch, I can wait until the second batch and not stress over it. Same with sprints - i love the ones I have, and won't be any less happy if I miss out on the occasional one... not gonna happen though :D :cool:
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I know the feeling. In 2005 when I first started hitting the knife forums I was out of control in a good way. It was fun.

I am still a knife guy and still enjoy a good thread, but mostly I feel like I have been there done that.

So many threads are the same. I think I have seen the same thread only slightly different a million times....lol

I still love getting a new Spyderco though. I have a Respect coming and a Military!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Archimedes wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:54 am
I know the feeling. In 2005 when I first started hitting the knife forums I was out of control in a good way. It was fun.

I am still a knife guy and still enjoy a good thread, but mostly I feel like I have been there done that.

So many threads are the same. I think I have seen the same thread only slightly different a million times....lol

I still love getting a new Spyderco though. I have a Respect coming and a Military!

That's one thing I've noticed about this forum, compared to others I've been on over the years. So many of the same threads posted over and over again, same questions...yet everyone here is kind enough to answer the OP's questions or try to help them out. Any other forum I've been on, a lot of people post a simple one word answer "search"
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:33 am
Archimedes wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:54 am

That's one thing I've noticed about this forum, compared to others I've been on over the years. So many of the same threads posted over and over again, same questions...yet everyone here is kind enough to answer the OP's questions or try to help them out. Any other forum I've been on, a lot of people post a simple one word answer "search"
There is nothing more wearisome than the world-weary. Few such critters inhabit these parts.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

My taste in folders has changed considerably over the years and particularly so since I took an interest in Spyders and joined the forum. In a nutshell, l’ve gravitated towards larger knives and I couldn’t be happier than I am with the Military.

Like Spydergirl and her Lil Native I like everything about the Military but it’s crueled it for me too in a way. I either carry or have one close handy every day so when I reach for most any other folder and open it I wonder what happened to the rest of the blade. Ah, hahaha! :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Y’all can count me with the folks who thought this was about BHQ exclusives, lol! As it happens I’ve got my BHQ para 3 in my pocket now, it’s my most common edc sharing time with the #2 carry, a para 3 in cruwear :cool:

Personally I go through spurts of excitement/interest. I have other interests than knives, and most are much more expensive. It’s kinda funny that I’m hesitating tracking down a Millie in REX45 when I’m also contemplating a $900 Toelke longbow...

I was hooked on Spyderco long ago with the C01 Worker and a C03 Hunter, which looks a lot like a small Stretch. Then a C30 Remote Release; then I was led astray for 20 years by that other company which shall not be named. The last 7 years were due to distractions including significant promotion at work and growing a family (2 sets of twins, bogo is how we roll!). Joined here summer 2018 while looking for a new edc, it just so happened that the BHQ M4 para3 dropped when I was ready to buy. I scooped it up since I liked M2, and at the time was lamenting that it seemed all the regular production knives were S30V, a steel I was unhappy with at the time. It was good timing, and after 15-ish Spyders since then it remains my favorite. I’ve definately cooled down since that spree, but I still get excited by the sprints and exclusive versions of patterns I love, and am looking forward to more. 4V? The LW looks good...

Now the threads I like to read most are other people sharing their excitement and in-depth reviews like Vivi’s written and video review of the Waterway.

I also greatly appreciate that members here including SG88 take the time to answer the repeat threads, rather than snarkily comment the newbie needs to learn to use the search function. That’s a great way to squash interest and enthusiasm, and stands as the classic example in need of Thumper’s mom’s advice: if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all!

Thank you all for your contributions, and stick around!
sal

Post by sal »

I might add that as life moves through time, Values and opinions change due to a variety of new input. One cannot step into the same river twice. It is for this reason that I've come to carry more than one.

sal
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

sal wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:57 pm
I might add that as life moves through time, Values and opinions change due to a variety of new input. One cannot step into the same river twice. It is for this reason that I've come to carry more than one.

sal
As usual, you say much with few words.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am definitely jaded...

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

I really like that Shaman! ;)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Thanks brother! :D

I just need to pick up that Manix2! Soon, very soon! :) :spyder:
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:31 pm
I am definitely jaded...

Indeed you are, and have invested in that picture enough to match a very nice built-to-suit recurve or longbow! Can’t fault you for it though, that’s a pretty sweet collection.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I'm still new to Spyderco knives but have been a knife collector for some time. It's so good when you are just getting started. So far I only have 3, an Endura 4, Delica 4, and a Bug.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I can relate to these sentiments.

Really I think it's part of growing up: you trade risk, excitement, and possibility for knowledge and wisdom. You know which knives you'll carry and which you won't, so that'll keep you from buying knives you won't use. But it's FUN to buy knives, so that ignorance, although it led to unnecessary purchases, also led to excitement.

I think acknowledging the change and being at peace with it is important. The trick then is to figure out how to get fun and fulfillment out of the stage you find yourself in. The answer won't be the same for everyone, and in this case the answer may very well be taking a break from the forum for a while. That's OK, though, you're under no obligation to keep doing something (in the case of a hobby) that you no longer find fun.
Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote: Speak what you think today in hard words and tomorrow speak what tomorrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said today.