If you had to pick just one?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderg

Re: If you had to pick just one?

Post by spyderg »

Smock
81D6AC82-3324-45CD-91F0-7DB647BF4457.jpeg
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Caribbean Leaf PE.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
npad69

Post by npad69 »

Far from perfect but I would have to settle with my Spydiechef
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

spyderg wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:01 pm
Smock81D6AC82-3324-45CD-91F0-7DB647BF4457.jpeg

I wanted to say this as well...until a couple weeks ago when I was just slicing through packaging tape and cardboard, I actually slightly rolled or chipped a small section of my edge near the tip. I couldn't believe it :mad: I haven't reprofiled it or anything prior to this happening besides a few light passes on the UF rods. I've heard a few people complain about the chippiness of S30V, that was my first experience and was quite disappointed, I barely used it for that to have happened.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

Sure you didn't hit a staple?
:unicorn
Supacede

Post by Supacede »

This, or it's little brother. The Caly 3 is destined to become one of the all time great pocket knives- at least in my eyes!

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:31 pm
I sure am in love with the Caly 3.5 right now
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:10 pm
Yep. Once I finished and got back to my office I cleaned up the tape gunk and saw that shine right on the edge and felt it kind of rolled off to one side. I went back into the warehouse and looked over each of the boxes I had opened, not a single packaging staple in any of them. No plastic strapping was cut with it either.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:07 pm
spyderg wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:01 pm
Smock81D6AC82-3324-45CD-91F0-7DB647BF4457.jpeg

I wanted to say this as well...until a couple weeks ago when I was just slicing through packaging tape and cardboard, I actually slightly rolled or chipped a small section of my edge near the tip. I couldn't believe it :mad: I haven't reprofiled it or anything prior to this happening besides a few light passes on the UF rods. I've heard a few people complain about the chippiness of S30V, that was my first experience and was quite disappointed, I barely used it for that to have happened.
The only thing I’d change on the knife is the steel. Cruwear Smock...
S30V isn’t too chippy in my experience though, I’ve found the factory edge on it gets small chips and it dulls pretty quick but once I resharpen it, it’s pretty good to go. Now my experience with S110V, that’s chippy! I was expecting CTSXHP from Taiwan but I’m happy with the S30V. So far the factory edge has been holding up well on mine, (I know some guys like to sharpen right out of the box but I’m always curious to see how the factory edge does).
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:39 pm
Vivi wrote:
Yep. Once I finished and got back to my office I cleaned up the tape gunk and saw that shine right on the edge and felt it kind of rolled off to one side. I went back into the warehouse and looked over each of the boxes I had opened, not a single packaging staple in any of them. No plastic strapping was cut with it either.
I believe you, had this happen on a Para3 in S30V since then not a fan of S30V nor its dull cousin S35VN
pinepig2

Post by pinepig2 »

Someone with extra time on their hands should go through all the posts in this thread and tally up the choices! It would be interesting to see what the most popular models are within the "could have just one" context.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

My One-Eyed Jack because it’s a sleeper and makes me smile.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
SaltSerious

Post by SaltSerious »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:15 pm
if i had to choose one spyderdco, it would probably be the caribbean, which is weird because i don't own that knife and i'm not really that interested in it. however, it has the leaf blade of my favorite (manix 2), the saltiness of my pacific and native salts, and the compression lock that i've been enjoying on my yojimbo. since it combines important aspects from my favorite spydercos and gives a good length of blade, it would probably be my one pick. maybe i'll get one some day.
If at all possible you should. I have the sheepsfoot with PE that I rit dyed. Superior to the PM2 on so many different levels. I don't understand why it isn't selling like hotcakes. Maybe once it's offered in a more generally accepted color/pattern. Build quality and fit and finish are quite high. Should be in the running for another thread "most underappreciated knife".
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

It would have to be the Shaman, 100%.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

If I had to pick just one, it would be my new Rex 45 Military.

Asking me to pick just one, is like asking which limb I would keep, if I could only keep one. I'm quite attached to all of them!
vivi

Post by vivi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:39 pm
Vivi wrote:
Strange. Used to carry an S30V Para 2 at a warehouse and even with a reprofiled edge it had no issue with cardboard or heavy duty straps. Weird how these things can happen.
:unicorn
pinepig2

Post by pinepig2 »

Results!

I couldn't resist tallying up the responses! Here's a few decisions I made in doing so: Variations in steels, scales, grinds, and presence of serrations were lumped together under the same tally for a model. Generational changes, different lock types for a model, and radically different blades (Wharncliffe) were counted separately. If more than one knife is mentioned with equal weight to the choices I tallied the first one mentioned. If someone seemed to be leaning towards a particular model I selected that one as their vote. So one member = one vote for everyone.

Here are all the knives with at least five votes. No knives received four votes total, so there is some separation between these and the rest. Numbers in parenthesis are in addition to the base tally for the sake of interest.

Caly 3: 5 votes
Endura 4: 5
SpydieChef: 6
Delica 4: 6 (+2 Wharncliffe version)
Manix 2: 7 (+2 Backlock version, +2 XL version)
Military: 7
Para 3: 7
Stretch 1: 7
Paramilitary 2: 14

I guess it's no shocker that the PM2 won by a comfortable margin. A couple of things that did stand out to me: The popularity of the SpydieChef; it bested the Endura as an all-time favorite! Also the large disparity between the Stretch 1 (7 votes) and the Stretch 2 (1 vote).
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Wright.88 wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:41 pm
Blue M390 PM2. Favorite Spydie in favorite color with favorite steel. Win-win-win :)

That knife is a beauty, I would love to get one.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

pinepig2 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:47 pm
Results!

I couldn't resist tallying up the responses! Here's a few decisions I made in doing so: Variations in steels, scales, grinds, and presence of serrations were lumped together under the same tally for a model. Generational changes, different lock types for a model, and radically different blades (Wharncliffe) were counted separately. If more than one knife is mentioned with equal weight to the choices I tallied the first one mentioned. If someone seemed to be leaning towards a particular model I selected that one as their vote. So one member = one vote for everyone.

Here are all the knives with at least five votes. No knives received four votes total, so there is some separation between these and the rest. Numbers in parenthesis are in addition to the base tally for the sake of interest.

Caly 3: 5 votes
Endura 4: 5
SpydieChef: 6
Delica 4: 6 (+2 Wharncliffe version)
Manix 2: 7 (+2 Backlock version, +2 XL version)
Military: 7
Para 3: 7
Stretch 1: 7
Paramilitary 2: 14

I guess it's no shocker that the PM2 won by a comfortable margin. A couple of things that did stand out to me: The popularity of the SpydieChef; it bested the Endura as an all-time favorite! Also the large disparity between the Stretch 1 (7 votes) and the Stretch 2 (1 vote).

Thanx for the work, that's interesting!

And I can't help but pointing out that the Stretch 1 came in second, lying level with 3 overall very popular models (Military, Para 3, Manix 2). Amazing, that it never sold really well. Seems to be valued only in groups like this forum, where people either really use or have a deeper understanding of knives or both (that statement is in no way meant to disregard people who are not really into knives of course).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Ssoz wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:19 pm
Mako109 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:04 pm
My PM2 in M390 but specifically configured with custom CF scales, titanium hardware and MXG deep carry clip.
Where did you pick up your Ti hardware? Looking for a good place to get some for my Yojimbo 2 (20cv w CF)
Check out “blade blades we love” http://bladeswelove.com
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I know this is an old thread. If I could only have one Spyderco for me it would be the Caribbean Salt leave PE. It can do it all with the added benefit of complete corrosion resistance.
1 Byrd and 30 “others”