Back Lock Question Re: Disassembly

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
prsman

Back Lock Question Re: Disassembly

Post by prsman »

I can’t stop carrying my dragonfly 2 salt. What a killer knife. It’s actually a pretty cool thumb flicker...rockets out!

I would like to get another back lock spyderco with a longer blade at some point and I’m not sold on a delica or endura due to the apparent difficulty around disassembly. Does spyderco make a back lock knife that is as easy to disassemble as my Lil Native?

Cheers
36943777-F049-4B6B-992A-46A39FE2DFB2.jpeg
Evil D

Re: Back Lock Question Re: Disassembly

Post by Evil D »

I dunno I think the disassembly thing is a matter of opinion. I've never had a problem getting a Delica or Stretch back together. You need to get the lock bar in first, then the lock spring, and then the blade and pivot.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

Pacific Salts are probably the easiest Spyderco to take apart. Handle is one piece, there's only two screws to fiddle with, clip can stay on while the rest of the internals come out, and no washers to line up.
:unicorn
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Hey prsman, I think you'll find most anything is easy to disassemble but reassembly is often trickier. ;)

Back locks are easy enough to reassemble and if you do a searcher here on the forum you'll likely find all the little tricks that make it easy. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

^ Salts in general are super easy to get back together.
~David
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:32 pm

This reminds me... D, did you ever figure out a way to disassemble your Dragonfly Salt? I ask because mine has the same rotating pivot problem and I have never been able to figure out how to get it loose.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:29 pm
Evil D wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:32 pm

This reminds me... D, did you ever figure out a way to disassemble your Dragonfly Salt? I ask because mine has the same rotating pivot problem and I have never been able to figure out how to get it loose.

Nope never did. I started cutting a slot in one and decided it's just not worth the hassle. In hindsight it's probably a good idea to not use any thread locker of any grade on pivots that only have one screw side, especially if the scales are linerless. The knife in question is my PE Dfly that rarely gets used anyway.
~David
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I just swapped two native 5s and just say they're a breeze to take apart and get back together. Much easier than the first time I did a delica. It comes with practice that's for sure.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

I second the Native 5, lightweight, any way. Remove 3 screws and pop off the port scale. The backspacer is built into the starboard scale, so the spring stays in place along with the lock bar and blade. There's no need for a third hand to hold the lock bar open whilst maneuvering the blade sandwich (washer-blade-washer) into place.
Lodestar

Post by Lodestar »

I see people saying put the blade in last and fumbling with 3 hands. How I learned it.

1. Assemble half
2. Put in the spring, the blade, and washers and pivot
3. Add other scales/liners and loosely tighten up screws except the one that goes through the lockbar.
4. Tape the blade for safety
5. Place the female nut in so it is just resting in the scale not blocking where the lock bar will go.
6. With the blade open press the lock bar into place until it the hole lines up and press the nut through.
7. Add the final screw and tighten everything.

Much easier imo. I don't even worry about it.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Hope this helps OP: both are not mine, I just found them years ago.

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to ... -Spyderco/

And video by member @unit
https://youtu.be/PQqUFxe5leA
Chris :spyder:
vivi

Post by vivi »

Lodestar wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:48 am
I see people saying put the blade in last and fumbling with 3 hands. How I learned it.

1. Assemble half
3. Add other scales/liners and loosely tighten up screws except the one that goes through the lockbar.
5. Place the female nut in so it is just resting in the scale not blocking where the lock bar will go.
6. With the blade open press the lock bar into place until it the hole lines up and press the nut through.

That method doesn't work with certain knives. FRN backspacers can lose their shape from the lock spring, making it impossible to set the second liner on flush.
Lodestar

Post by Lodestar »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:51 am
That method doesn't work with certain knives. FRN backspacers can lose their shape from the lock spring, making it impossible to set the second liner on flush.
Was referring to the OPs delica/endura question.

Thanks for the info on other models, good to know.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:51 am
Lodestar wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:48 am

1. Assemble half

On step no. 3, the other liner & scale is installed before any pressure is put on the FRN backspacer. It is fully supported like when the knife is fully assembled.
Same method as what I shared with simple steps ;).
Chris :spyder:
vivi

Post by vivi »

Hmm, well I've tried that very method with multiple FRN knives and found it didn't work. Works fine on my Police though.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:25 pm
Hmm, well I've tried that very method with multiple FRN knives and found it didn't work. Works fine on my Police though.
What did you do with that Stretch? I'd take a crack at putting it back together.
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:46 pm
Vivi wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:25 pm
What did you do with that Stretch? I'd take a crack at putting it back together.
I was going to comment on that a couple hours ago...but wasn't sure if it was one of those "too soon" kind of things for Vivi :p

I started taking my Chaparral frn apart one night and it felt like there was a lot of tension just when removing the scales and decided to back off since I wasn't sure what was going on underneath. First back lock I was going to take apart...Vivi's struggles crossed my mind and instantly began tightening the screws back up haha.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

prsman wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:52 pm
I can’t stop carrying my dragonfly 2 salt. What a killer knife. It’s actually a pretty cool thumb flicker...rockets out!

I would like to get another back lock spyderco with a longer blade at some point and I’m not sold on a delica or endura due to the apparent difficulty around disassembly. Does spyderco make a back lock knife that is as easy to disassemble as my Lil Native?

Cheers
36943777-F049-4B6B-992A-46A39FE2DFB2.jpeg

Props to you for some how keeping that H1 scratch free. My SE Salt 2 developed scratches very easily the first time I use it at camp, I believe I was just cutting through some plant matter type of weeds. After that, I began not to care how it looked.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick