Who else is getting an Ikuchi as soon as they are released?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Who else is getting an Ikuchi as soon as they are released?

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:20 pm
These look real nice. How strong is the detent compared to something like a PM2?
A bit off topic, but since I just noticed your (new?) signature ("Counting down the days until the Native Chief and Police 4 Lightweight are released!"): When DO you think Chief and Police lw will be released? Or to put it differently: How long does it approximately and usually take till a knife shown at the Amsterdam meeting is actually available?

Asking, cause I am quite new here and maybe guys like you who participate a lot longer in this forum have some experience concerning my question...
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:30 pm
Vivi wrote:
These look real nice. How strong is the detent compared to something like a PM2?
A bit off topic, but since I just noticed your (new?) signature: When DO you think Chief and Police lw will be released? Or to put it differently: How long does it approximately and usually take till a knife shown at the Amsterdam meeting is actually available?

Asking, cause I am quite new here and maybe guys like you who participate a lot longer in this forum have some experience concerning my question...
Spyderco is attempting to keep the early-prototype stage stuff closer to the chest than in previous years... but a prototype is still a prototype. Could be a year away, if things get delayed in the production development. If Spyderco knew for certain, they'd tell us.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JacksonKnives wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:42 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:30 pm
Vivi wrote:
A bit off topic, but since I just noticed your (new?) signature: When DO you think Chief and Police lw will be released? Or to put it differently: How long does it approximately and usually take till a knife shown at the Amsterdam meeting is actually available?

Spyderco is attempting to keep the early-prototype stage stuff closer to the chest than in previous years... but a prototype is still a prototype. Could be a year away, if things get delayed in the production development. If Spyderco knew for certain, they'd tell us.
Thanks, that helps! I honestly did not know if the time frame was more like two month or a year. Though I am into Spyderco-knives (as EDC and users) for quite a long time, I just quite recently began to look closer into background, history, and how Spyderco as a company does things.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:47 pm

Thanks, that helps! I honestly did not know if the time frame was more like two month or a year. Though I am into Spyderco-knives (as EDC and users) for quite a long time, I just quite recently began to look closer into background, history, and how Spyderco as a company does things.
The new policy is a "reveal" newsletter, which should give you an indicator of products 1-4 months out. That's compared to the old system where we'd get an annual catalog but might not actually get all the new knives in it before the year was up.

The posts from the Amsterdam show are pretty much the earliest-access we get for photos or video of Spyderco prototypes. If you go to shows like Blade show sometimes they'll let you see things in person that aren't ready for photos.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JacksonKnives wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:16 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:47 pm

The new policy is a "reveal" newsletter, which should give you an indicator of products 1-4 months out. That's compared to the old system where we'd get an annual catalog but might not actually get all the new knives in it before the year was up.

The posts from the Amsterdam show are pretty much the earliest-access we get for photos or video of Spyderco prototypes. If you go to shows like Blade show sometimes they'll let you see things in person that aren't ready for photos.
Thanks once more!!
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Vivi wrote:
Well its hard to tell because the only way to open it is the flipper, and it flips well. I can move the unlocked blade towards the closed position and observe an approximate distance between the tip and the bottom of the handle; and when the tip is around 4 or 5 mm away, the detent pulls the knife shut. So in the context of closing the knife, the detent is decent enough to pull it shut, as good as an average PM2, but not nearly as strong as a Manix2. In fact, the detent strength in regards to pulling the blade closed reminds me of the Sage 5; though the Sage 5 example I possessed had detent slop.
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

Scratch by previous message. We have basically one big supplier in the Netherlands so it was easy searching for the ikuchi. Just now it gave me a hit, to a page offering the ikuchi for purchase and expected to come in on in about 3 days from now. Its probably still in the transit, so I'm gonna have to wait a bit. But at least I finally have one. Didn't jump on the kapara, or the smock, and I've given up on getting them now. I've also already ordered a new l. Sebenza but luckily funds allowed me to get the ikuchi right after that as well.

Spyderco needs to step up their stocking game. If the kapara was available readily I wouldn't have gotten a sebenza, and the ikuchi I decided to purchase at release. Having to wait for months to maybe get a kapara or any other knife you desire is unacceptable, and my money went elsewhere instead.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

dodgie02 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:16 am
Scratch by previous message. We have basically one big supplier in the Netherlands so it was easy searching for the ikuchi. Just now it gave me a hit, to a page offering the ikuchi for purchase and expected to come in on in about 3 days from now. Its probably still in the transit, so I'm gonna have to wait a bit. But at least I finally have one. Didn't jump on the kapara, or the smock, and I've given up on getting them now. I've also already ordered a new l. Sebenza but luckily funds allowed me to get the ikuchi right after that as well.

Spyderco needs to step up their stocking game. If the kapara was available readily I wouldn't have gotten a sebenza, and the ikuchi I decided to purchase at release. Having to wait for months to maybe get a kapara or any other knife you desire is unacceptable, and my money went elsewhere instead.

Indeed !
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

Available at Lamnia.
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Danvp wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:20 am
Available at Lamnia.

Thank you for posting this. It sucks I had to order from Europe instead of going through my normal channels here in the US, but at least I’ll get one.
Last edited by Zatx on Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
SchizoidHorse9

Post by SchizoidHorse9 »

Looks to be available at Knife Center now. ***Nvm*** order status changed to pre-order, so I cancelled.
Last edited by SchizoidHorse9 on Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Spydies:

Blurple S110v PM2, KW Green CTS-204p PM2, DLT Tan Satin 20cv PM2, DLT Red m390 PM2, BBS Blue Satin m390 PM2, DLT Red 20cv Manix2, BHQ Jade M4 Military, BHQ Jade M4 Yojimbo2, BHQ Jade M4 Native5, St. Nick's Red DLC 4v Lil Native Compression, Carbon Fiber s90v Shaman Sprint, LC200n Waterway, Blue-Gray V-Toku2 Endura Sprint, Purple Ladybug, Chaparral LW, Spydiechef, Ikuchi, Smock, Gayle Bradley 2, Sheepsfoot Caribbean PE, Dogtag Carbon Fiber, Red Check Tenacious, Cara Cara 2.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bdubs808 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:31 am
Vivi wrote:
Well its hard to tell because the only way to open it is the flipper, and it flips well. I can move the unlocked blade towards the closed position and observe an approximate distance between the tip and the bottom of the handle; and when the tip is around 4 or 5 mm away, the detent pulls the knife shut. So in the context of closing the knife, the detent is decent enough to pull it shut, as good as an average PM2, but not nearly as strong as a Manix2. In fact, the detent strength in regards to pulling the blade closed reminds me of the Sage 5; though the Sage 5 example I possessed had detent slop.
I normally don't buy comp locks since having a couple open up on me, but the Ikuchi is such a neat and unusual design for Spyderco I may have to give it a shot. Based on the comparison photos it should be just big enough to get a full grip, and has a lot of cutting edge for the size.
:unicorn
drexcell

Post by drexcell »

I really want to get one of these in the first wave. I don't think I am patient enough to wait months before the next release. Having said that, I had an email exchange with Jeff/Cutlery Shoppe last Friday (3/29) and he didn't have a definitive deliver date at that time. Do we have any better idea about when these will be available here in the States?
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

It is my understanding that Spyderco mixes it up as far as which dealers get shipped a new model first, in order to be fair to all of them. This means that dealer x may get their shipment of one new model earlier, and the next one later. If you want to buy a particular model ASAP, you may need to shop around and see who has it early. This does present a dilemma if you prefer to be loyal to a particular dealer.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
drexcell

Post by drexcell »

Catamount123 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:14 pm
It is my understanding that Spyderco mixes it up as far as which dealers get shipped a new model first, in order to be fair to all of them. This means that dealer x may get their shipment of one new model earlier, and the next one later. If you want to buy a particular model ASAP, you may need to shop around and see who has it early. This does present a dilemma if you prefer to be loyal to a particular dealer.
Thanks. That is great info.

I buy all of my knives from Jeff at Cutlery Shoppe, so I'll have to develop some patience and/or hope for a little good luck. We shouldn't have to wait too much longer.
ptd

Post by ptd »

KnifeCenter just hit my CC for a preorder, guessing they got a batch and will be shipping soon.

-pd
foofie

Post by foofie »

Just did an odd thing. There was one on ebay for about MAP, shipping from Canada. I chose to pass on it - hopefully a Canadian member got it, and won't have to worry about shipping from US to Canada.
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

Zatx wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:04 am
Danvp wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:20 am
Available at Lamnia.

Thank you for posting this. It sucks I had to order from Europe instead of going through my normal channels here in the US, but at least I’ll get one.
Youre welcome.
I received mine today.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Oogie

Post by Oogie »

Also looks to be back in stock with GPKnives!

Great to see some ‘in stock’ momentum this week.