Endela-i want one

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderwolf

Endela-i want one

Post by spyderwolf »

Hopefully the Endela will hit the market.I need 2,of course.Who else will but it?
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Marulaghost

Re: Endela-i want one

Post by Marulaghost »

The endela is 100% coming to market.
I see the appeal for one. I think plenty of people will buy
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Look at my initial post in this thread I started some time ago and you can probably guess my answer... ;)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82660&hilit=The+End ... your+hopes
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
olywa

Post by olywa »

I'm in, I think it will hit the sweet spot for me. I've never really warmed up to the Delica, and the Endura is more folder than I usually want to carry.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Definitely. I'm usually a 3" blade guy, but the extra half mm of blade thickness here won me over. I think it will be just right anyway. Very much looking forward to it.
- best wishes, Jazz.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Strong dislike!

1: I never feel like I need more than the Delica, it carries great and fits my hand just fine
2: The R is my favorite non Delica, and it would be far more accurate to call it the Endela, since it is basically a Delica shaped blade with an endura length. This frankenknife abomination has just put another (perhaps final?) nail in the coffin of my hopes that the R will be made again.

A moment of silence for the original “endela,” the mighty and far superior R:

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

tvenuto wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:02 pm
Strong dislike!

1: I never feel like I need more than the Delica, it carries great and fits my hand just fine
2: The R is my favorite non Delica, and it would be far more accurate to call it the Endela, since it is basically a Delica shaped blade with an endura length. This frankenknife abomination has just put another (perhaps final?) nail in the coffin of my hopes that the R will be made again.

A moment of silence for the original “endela,” the mighty and far superior R:

Thanks for showing the "R", looks great and I honestly don't know a whole lot about it

But on the Endela and the "R" beeing the better version of it, we seem to have different opinions:

As said, the "R" looks great, but does not present key features I personally and specifically like in the current Endura family: First and foremost that would be: The " hump-shaped" stouter tip and that there is NO choil, but the hand closer to the edge in a regular grip.

The Endela offers those features in a for me personally perfect EDC blade length. The edge of the Delica is just a bit short for some tasks I run into, especially food prep.

EDIT: To be clear: I am NOT saying that the Endela is better than the "R" (I am not entitled to, for I did not handle either of them). I just think that the Endela fits better in the Endura family as a medium version.
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

The Endela just might be my first FRN Spyderco. The Delica was too small and the Endura was too big. I love that they haven't succumbed to the new fad of choils with this model. If there is enough handle for a full grip, a choil is not necessary, IMO. And I don't know anybody with 6 fingers on one hand... :confused:
Last edited by BornIn1500 on Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I've never handled an R or an Endela, so I dunno which one is better. I'm definitely buying an Endela though.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bdubs808 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:54 pm
I've never handled an R or an Endela, so I dunno which one is better. I'm definitely buying an Endela though.
If you're referring to my post above: I guess I did not make my point right: In no way I wanted to say, that the Endela is better than the "R" in general (I am not entitled to, did not handle neither of them).

I just think the Endela is the better middle ground version of Endura / Delica!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Addendum!

1: My claims of superiority were tongue in cheek. Of course these things are opinion.

2: It remains a travesty that the R us so unknown, despite my best efforts. It is one of the rare spydies that has had several iterations but has never been regular production!

3: I also don’t advocate for the addition of a choil on knives that work fine without one. The R just happens to have one and it happens to work great.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I'm seriously thinking about getting one. It would not see a lot of carry time because of stupid laws, but I sure would like one.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

tvenuto wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:38 pm
Addendum!

1: My claims of superiority were tongue in cheek. Of course these things are opinion.

2: It remains a travesty that the R us so unknown, despite my best efforts. It is one of the rare spydies that has had several iterations but has never been regular production!

3: I also don’t advocate for the addition of a choil on knives that work fine without one. The R just happens to have one and it happens to work great.
You made me look deeper into this knife and I'd have a question: On your pics it looks like the "R" would have a rather pointy tip. But on other pics and in videos there seems to be a significant "drop" right before the tip, which would make it less pointy, but stouter (I'd prefer that).
Which one is true?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:48 pm
tvenuto wrote:
Addendum!

You made me look deeper into this knife and I'd have a question: On your pics it looks like the "R" would have a rather pointy tip. But on other pics and in videos there seems to be a significant "drop" right before the tip, which would make it less pointy, but stouter (I'd prefer that).
Which one is true?
Both! The original one (with skeletonized blade) had the straight spine and pointy tip. For the two subsequent models, they used the slight drop before the tip which creates a slightly stouter tip. Some people preferred the pointy tip (this change was also made in subsequent iterations of the Delica). Here’s a higher res shot, and the photo is not mine but spydercollector (of Amsterdam meet fame).

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

tvenuto wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:54 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:48 pm
tvenuto wrote:
Addendum!

Which one is true?
Both! The original one (with skeletonized blade) had the straight spine and pointy tip. For the two subsequent models, they used the slight drop before the tip which creates a slightly stouter tip. Some people preferred the pointy tip (this change was also made in subsequent iterations of the Delica). Here’s a higher res shot, and the photo is not mine but spydercollector (of Amsterdam meet fame).

Thanks a lot, now I see! Though the drop is still less pronounced than on the Delica as far as I can see.

Anyway, that's a very interesting knife... And still available (but for almost twice the price of a Delica where I looked)
ol_lukey

Post by ol_lukey »

After being into pocket knives for a few years now I've got a good idea of the "ideal" knife that I'd like to have and it's basically the endela haha.. I'm sure I'll be buying it in many steels and colors
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

I'll definitely be getting an Endela. It's the perfect size for me for a carry knife. The Endura has always been a bit too big for me and more so since they upped the size a small amount with the E4.

Has anyone else noticed the weight on the Endela? According to Wouter's Amsterdam coverage it will tip the scales at 2.39 oz. That's the same weight as the FFG Delicas. Will the Endela have less steel in the handle than the Delica/Endura or, are Wouter's specs wrong?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ASmitty wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:33 pm
I'll definitely be getting an Endela. It's the perfect size for me for a carry knife. The Endura has always been a bit too big for me and more so since they upped the size a small amount with the E4.

Has anyone else noticed the weight on the Endela? According to Wouter's Amsterdam coverage it will tip the scales at 2.39 oz. That's the same weight as the FFG Delicas. Will the Endela have less steel in the handle than the Delica/Endura or, are Wouter's specs wrong?
I'd assume the weight is stated wrong... even more so, since I figure the Endela will have the thicker, 3mm bladestock of the Endura (though I'd prefer if it had the 2.5 mm of the Delica)
pinepig2

Post by pinepig2 »

I'm not sure I'll get an Endela. Nothing against the knife, it looks like a great design actually. The problem is the Spydercos in the "just right" size category, possessing the features I desire, always end up as Japanese-made. Stretch, R, D'allara, now the Endela. It's no secret that the Seki City factory is hit-or-miss in the QC department, and I'm just kind of over buying any more Seki knives. I'm ready to move on (I've dallied with multiple PM2's and several other models, but have decided I really prefer backlocks).

I've got four Stretch 1's currently (down from six!). It's enough to hold me for a long time. I'll buy the first Golden backlock model that follows the lineage of the above models. With the right design I'd buy a couple and parhaps pare down the Stretch 1 collection a bit more. I finally managed to turn off the rampant consumerist switch, where I was buying all kinds of knives just for something new and shiny to play with. Feels good.