The Drunken: Amazing Knife, Ruined by its Pocket Clip.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderg

Re: The Drunken: Amazing Knife, Ruined by its Pocket Clip.

Post by spyderg »

Zatx wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:23 pm
spyderg wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:27 pm
As a lefty this knife is useless to me since it can’t be carried left hand but to me the simple solution has already been mentioned. Take the clip off, bend it a little and good to go. I bend all my clips for stronger retention as it is. Also I usually bend down the ramp a little so it doesn’t catch on things as much. As long as I can get the knife out easily and back in ok, it’s all good.

Please reread the issues with the clip, just bending it isn't going to solve all of the problems and presents several new ones if attempted.
Sorry, but I’m basing my comments on what I’ve seen of the knife and clip. The knife isn’t my cup o tea for a couple reasons and no left carry means no purchase regardless. But from vids and pics I see no reason bending the clip wouldn’t work. Any knife I carry and use shows wear so that’s a non issue. And I’ve stated before that I wear out jeans as fast as clips wear out my pockets so again non issue. Also I’d much prefer prematurely wearing out a pocket than losing an expensive knife.
I’m sure some cqi could be done on this, (and many other) designs but I doubt they’re going to do a bunch of retooling on such a pricey design. I think this one will likely get discontinued and perhaps a new model down the road from Sinkovich will consider suggestions.
It’s too bad, looks like an interesting design. Not everyone can be a winner, even from Spyderco.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:48 pm
Zatx wrote:
spyderg wrote:
As a lefty this knife is useless to me since it can’t be carried left hand but to me the simple solution has already been mentioned. Take the clip off, bend it a little and good to go. I bend all my clips for stronger retention as it is. Also I usually bend down the ramp a little so it doesn’t catch on things as much. As long as I can get the knife out easily and back in ok, it’s all good.

Please reread the issues with the clip, just bending it isn't going to solve all of the problems and presents several new ones if attempted.
And.....that's overlooking the amateur blade grind ( wow! ) loose screws and corroded stop pin.
Maybe Taichung needs " pep talk" or QC?
Seems like this one is living up to its name.
I know that's rough, but it's a $400+ knife.
My comments were just about the clip as it was the focus of the thread but yes on an expensive knife, the grinds should all be near perfect. From the posted pics everything looks fine but op says it’s uneven so I’ll take his word for it. I saw nothing in the original post about a corroded stop pin, (maybe I missed it or it was in a comment I didn’t fully read). Now as far as loose screws, again I missed that somewhere but on my Rhino I lost a body screw and another was loose so that’s a thing for sure! The screws on the Rhino are super short with only a couple threads.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

Colorodo wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:42 pm
Would a CRK Clip work?
I tried that, but it doesn't fit into the recessed part of the scale where the normal clip goes, so it would probably slide around since it's just one screw. I was also worried about it scratching the Ti scale.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

You youngins complaining about pocket clips. When I was a kid Knives did not have pocket clips.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

spyderg wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:18 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:48 pm
Zatx wrote:
spyderg wrote:

And.....that's overlooking the amateur blade grind ( wow! ) loose screws and corroded stop pin.
Maybe Taichung needs " pep talk" or QC?
Seems like this one is living up to its name.
I know that's rough, but it's a $400+ knife.
My comments were just about the clip as it was the focus of the thread but yes on an expensive knife, the grinds should all be near perfect. From the posted pics everything looks fine but op says it’s uneven so I’ll take his word for it. I saw nothing in the original post about a corroded stop pin, (maybe I missed it or it was in a comment I didn’t fully read). Now as far as loose screws, again I missed that somewhere but on my Rhino I lost a body screw and another was loose so that’s a thing for sure! The screws on the Rhino are super short with only a couple threads.
That comment was for Zatx.
I should've highlighted his comment. Sorry bout that.
Last edited by MacLaren on Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Archimedes wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:24 pm
You youngins complaining about pocket clips. When I was a kid Knives did not have pocket clips.
Hehehe.......didnt have $400+ knives either. :D
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm pretty annoyed at people that haven't bought this knife, chiming in about about the pocket clip or design flaws. Probably the same people that cry about the pocket clip on the Para 3 or any other features that don't suit their needs. Pretty big difference between a $130 knife and a $400 knife. If I'm spending $400 on a folding pocket knife...I expect perfection. I don't expect to have to manipulate pocket clips or tolerances.

In my eyes, this knife is a bit of a flop. Pocket clip, uneven grinds, corroded pins...give me a $25 Kershaw for those kinds of flaws. I'll gladly take free monthly truck payment for the same price of this hoopty
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bwunger

Post by bwunger »

We'll, my grinds and stop pin are fine. I just had a go at re-bending the clip and with a little more clearance it's a great improvement. Not perfect by any means but vastly better. Here's what it looks like now. I plan to tweak it a bit more later. Hopefully I don't screw it up.

Current collection: ZDP-189 Delica 4, S110V PM2, St. Nick's 4v Para 3, H1 sheepsfoot Manbug, Kapara, VG-10 Dragonfly, ATS-55 Serrated Delica, ZDP-189 MT04 (not broken yet) + Other non spydercos.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

FullCircleHook wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:57 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:20 pm
There’s a reason why I stick to the Japanese and Golden made knives.
Come on man, Taichung knives are debatably their best! Let’s stop that criticism right now....

I don’t think you could blame the factory for the design of the clip. I just wish I could afford one right now. If you guys love the knife, give it time and there will be custom clips.
I've got 2 Taichung's. One I really like and one with action I would describe as disappointing. They're 50/50 with me. Golden is best :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Ruudr

Post by Ruudr »

bwunger wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:58 pm
We'll, my grinds and stop pin are fine. I just had a go at re-bending the clip and with a little more clearance it's a great improvement. Not perfect by any means but vastly better. Here's what it looks like now. I plan to tweak it a bit more later. Hopefully I don't screw it up.

That looks pretty good to me. What else are you planning to tweak? I really like the looks of the knife. If it is that easy to improve the clip I think I go for it.
bwunger

Post by bwunger »

Ruudr wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:17 am
bwunger wrote:

That looks pretty good to me. What else are you planning to tweak? I really like the looks of the knife. If it is that easy to improve the clip I think I go for it.
It still has a tough time on pants with a thick pocket edge and tension is a bit higher now. I want to see if I can get a hair more clearance under the clip up near the screw. Definitely going to go slow with small changes though. Don't want to screw it up.

I just took the clip off, loosely clamped it in the soft jaws of my vice and started bending where the clip goes over the edge of the cutout. The soft jaws kept the bend from being too sharp and I just started with small bends so as not to go too far.
Current collection: ZDP-189 Delica 4, S110V PM2, St. Nick's 4v Para 3, H1 sheepsfoot Manbug, Kapara, VG-10 Dragonfly, ATS-55 Serrated Delica, ZDP-189 MT04 (not broken yet) + Other non spydercos.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Archimedes wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:24 pm
And back in them thar good old days we only had two types of steel: Carbon and Carbon :)
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

I just did a bit of bending myself, inspired by BWUnger, and it's definitely better. Having more room under the clip definitely helps, both in the pocket and in the hand.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

bwunger wrote:

This looks very close to the shape of the milled clip on the custom knife. Glad you guys are making it work!
Bending an anodized clip is not for the faint of heart, though. I hope we see a response here, but I also kind of doubt we will. I don't think Spyderco has a large enough repair crew to handle a full-on recall, though there's probably a threshold of buyers calling the W&R center that would trigger that.

I think threads like this are good, but if you want Spyderco to act, you have to call or email the W&R center. They need to know what percentage of owners considers this a problem.

Their SOP will probably require seeing more than a handful of knives returned before they consider the problem recall-worthy. I know that's not what most of us want to do (we've waited for this knife a long time) but that's how Spyderco judges the seriousness of these sorts of problems.

Also, for those wishing for a CQI change... That would depend on a new run. If Taichung only finished a small part of the order before this round was shipped, who knows what could happen. But typically CQI only applies to models they make thousands of.
bwunger

Post by bwunger »

I said I was going to work on it a bit more. I thought I'd post the setup I used and the results. It's night and day from before. I honestly think Spyderco just needs to re-do the clip bends on this one and they'll have it 99% solved. It's SO much better. I really hope they do some CQI on this since you shouldn't need a shop and such to fix a $400 knife.

First pic is the vice and some popsicle sticks I used to prevent marring. The non marring jaws I had we're just a bit too soft to have good control over the bends and not accidentally over bend it.

Here's the after. It's a subtle difference but I added some height by bending the flat near the attach file up and then added back some more bend where I bent it in the middle and then had to add in more bend to the kick at the end as it was almost flat to the knife when I had finished the other bends. Hope this helps someone between now and when Spyderco fixes it.

Ruudr

Post by Ruudr »

bwunger wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:59 pm
I said I was going to work on it a bit more. I thought I'd post the setup I used and the results. It's night and day from before. I honestly think Spyderco just needs to re-do the clip bends on this one and they'll have it 99% solved. It's SO much better. I really hope they do some CQI on this since you shouldn't need a shop and such to fix a $400 knife.

First pic is the vice and some popsicle sticks I used to prevent marring. The non marring jaws I had we're just a bit too soft to have good control over the bends and not accidentally over bend it.

Here's the after. It's a subtle difference but I added some height by bending the flat near the attach file up and then added back some more bend where I bent it in the middle and then had to add in more bend to the kick at the end as it was almost flat to the knife when I had finished the other bends. Hope this helps someone between now and when Spyderco fixes it.

That indeed looks like a big difference. Makes me shift to the positive side of buying a Drunken. I know its a $400 + knife but I don’t mind bending the clip.
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

bwunger wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:59 pm

Thank you for taking the time to document your modification of the clip. Unfortunately, it doesn't change the thickness of the material, its sharp edges, or its uncomfortable upswept tip.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

You could bent the tip of the clip too but doing so without marring the anno would be a challenge.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Beautiful knife... But I don't think I could spend that much on one. Near $200 is a stretch for me. Otherwise I don't think I could even take it out except to look at it.

Maybe spyderco could make a less expensive version for us cheapskates? I'd happily buy one. $400 just seems way too much imo.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
steeljustice

Post by steeljustice »

I find it priced at $409.50 US the MSRP is $630 US IMHO it's overpriced even at $409.50 for what it brings, does being a Dmitry Sinkevich design justify this pricing?