Respect Bowie short feedback

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Davidzhs

Respect Bowie short feedback

Post by Davidzhs »

Hi everyone my name is David, im from Switzerland and im new to the forum. I received my Respect Bowie a week ago after i saw it on my favorite Swiss knifeshops site (www.polizeibedarf.ch). I had this " I must have this" feeling right away, a classic Bowie design, not to small, and not to big to carry concealed, ( In switzerland i can only carry my gun on duty) It came in a beautiful handgun type soft knifecase with the Spyderco logo on it, and the quality and craftmanship is outstandig. Perfect finish on blade, handle, and sheath. The knife is well balanced and razor sharp out of the box. It is my first Spyderco knife and i am very impressed, it wont be my last for sure. Personally, i would like a "coffin type" handle even better, but thats just personal preference, and i wont stress test this knife because i think its to pretty to be abused ;) but i am cerain that it would withstand everything.

Here some pictures
https://imgur.com/a/naU2Jkf

Best regards,
David
sal

Re: Respect Bowie short feedback

Post by sal »

Hi Davidzhs,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Davidzhs wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:47 am
Hi everyone my name is David, im from Switzerland and im new to the forum. I received my Respect Bowie a week ago after i saw it on my favorite Swiss knifeshops site (www.polizeibedarf.ch). I had this " I must have this" feeling right away, a classic Bowie design, not to small, and not to big to carry concealed, ( In switzerland i can only carry my gun on duty) It came in a beautiful handgun type soft knifecase with the Spyderco logo on it, and the quality and craftmanship is outstandig. Perfect finish on blade, handle, and sheath. The knife is well balanced and razor sharp out of the box. It is my first Spyderco knife and i am very impressed, it wont be my last for sure. Personally, i would like a "coffin type" handle even better, but thats just personal preference, and i wont stress test this knife because i think its to pretty to be abused ;) but i am cerain that it would withstand everything.

Here some pictures

Best regards,
David
Hi "Neighbour" (concerning the alpine countries, since I am from Austria), welcome to the forum!
I guess it´s not too often the case, that someone starts getting into Spyderco by purchasing a fixed blade (as opposed to a folder) as a first! But great choice!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

That's a gorgeous bowie, Sal. I enjoyed the history lesson in the recent Spyderco Byte. I didn't realize that you received lessons from Moran, Hastings, and Bagwell. That's legit.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome to the forum David!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Davidzhs

Post by Davidzhs »

Thanks for the warm welcome! Didnt expect the Spyderco founder to welcome me! Nice to see i have a neighbour around too. Yes the knife was worth every penny, now i ordered a Shempp bowie as i am a big Bowie fan.
sal

Post by sal »

Kels73 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:36 pm
That's a gorgeous bowie, Sal. I enjoyed the history lesson in the recent Spyderco Byte. I didn't realize that you received lessons from Moran, Hastings, and Bagwell. That's legit.

Thanx Kels,

I have had the good fortune to have some really great teachers.

sal
Davidzhs

Post by Davidzhs »

Does anyone know where i can get the Spydercobyte with the Respectbowie article?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

My father and sister were born in Bowie, Texas. I spent many years growing up there as well. Always been partial to Bowie knives, history and all that. Weatherford and Mr. Bradley are near Bowie so someday I’d like to get one of his Spyderco Bowies not so much to use at my age and condition but just to have and enjoy.

The Respect is awesome but out of my reach.

Davidzhs, enjoy that masterpiece and welcome to our community.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Reject

Post by Reject »

Davidzhs wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:21 pm
Does anyone know where i can get the Spydercobyte with the Respectbowie article?
link to the spyderco byte e-newsletter; https://www.spyderco.com/resources/byte-e-newsletter/

The last couple don't seem to be there yet, so if you are in a hurry PM your email address to me and I will forward it on to you.
How much can a Koala bear?
Davidzhs

Post by Davidzhs »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:43 pm
My father and sister were born in Bowie, Texas. I spent many years growing up there as well. Always been partial to Bowie knives, history and all that. Weatherford and Mr. Bradley are near Bowie so someday I’d like to get one of his Spyderco Bowies not so much to use at my age and condition but just to have and enjoy.

The Respect is awesome but out of my reach.

Davidzhs, enjoy that masterpiece and welcome to our community.
Thank you Michael, by the way i clicked on your blog and hope you will keep it up.
Best regards
David.

Thank you reject, i send you a PM
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Davidzhs wrote:

Here some pictures

Best regards,
David
Hi David, your posts encouraged me to have a closer look on the Respect (read the article in the "byte" and watched the vid linked there). Really a great looking knife!

I´d have a question for you (and others who already own a Respect): How usable is the finger choil respectively how does it feel in use? I am asking cause that massive guard behind the choil obviously prevents your hand to be placed more forward when your index finger is in the choil, right? When you think of a knife like the PM2 or Stretch or even an Esee, you normally move your WHOLE hand more forward when choking up, not only the index finger.

To be clear, in no way I try to critisize the design of the Respect, since I never had one in hand! Just courious...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:41 am
Davidzhs wrote:

Here some pictures

Best regards,
David
Hi David, your posts encouraged me to have a closer look on the Respect (read the article in the "byte" and watched the vid linked there). Really a great looking knife!

I´d have a question for you (and others who already own a Respect): How usable is the finger choil respectively how does it feel in use? I am asking cause that massive guard behind the choil obviously prevents your hand to be placed more forward when your index finger is in the choil, right? When you think of a knife like the PM2 or Stretch or even an Esee, you normally move your WHOLE hand more forward when choking up, not only the index finger.

To be clear, in no way I try to critisize the design of the Respect, since I never had one in hand! Just courious...
Warstein

Knifecenter has a YouTube video of the Bowie and he discussed and displayed the different group positions. That being said I'm not so sure how much use the presenter bag out the knife through.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I picked one up and it should be here this week.

This knife really spoke to me. Just the old school aesthetic. Once I saw the sheath, I was so sold. Love the tuck in the waistband sheath. Plus I am a fixed blade Junkie. I consider fixed blades real knives and folders not so much.
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

Welcome Davidzhs, great to have you as part of the group! You picked an excellent first Spyderco and I am sure you will not be disappointed with it. I have several folders but no fixed blades as of yet. All my knives were delivered in flawless condition and as I have learned with Spyderco, this is the rule not the exception. I've got my eye and wallet on the Respect.....
All the best David.
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
Foundry81

Post by Foundry81 »

I got one as well a week or 2 ago. It is my 1st spyderco fixed blade. I'm not all that into fixed blades, but when I saw Eric show it on an interview at 2018 shot show, I knew I wanted it. It is a great knife.
Davidzhs

Post by Davidzhs »

Wartstein wrote:
Davidzhs wrote:

Here some pictures

Best regards,
David

When i place my finger in the choil, the handguard does not disturb at all, if i place my finger in the choil the knife glides automaticly in its right position. Hope that helps, or if you want i can make some pictures and post them.

Best regards
David
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Warstein,

The finger choils on our folders are there to permit getting close to the edge for fine work. On the Respect, the "finger choil" is there so one an get a good grasp on the knife when chopping. It's a large heavy knife and you woould not want to accidentally "throw" it. I don't know that I would call it a "finger choil". There might be a name for it, but i don't know what it is. Where's Brian Huegel when we need him?

sal
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

What an amazing choice for a first Spyderco! It is going to give you an out of balance view of the world.

This is a knife that I certainly don't need, but definitely want. It would make me want to educate myself about Bowie knife lore and culture.

But I don't see it in the cards, at least not any time that I can foresee.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:45 pm
Hi Warstein,

The finger choils on our folders are there to permit getting close to the edge for fine work. On the Respect, the "finger choil" is there so one an get a good grasp on the knife when chopping. It's a large heavy knife and you woould not want to accidentally "throw" it. I don't know that I would call it a "finger choil". There might be a name for it, but i don't know what it is. Where's Brian Huegel when we need him?

sal
Davidzhs wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Davidzhs wrote:
When i place my finger in the choil, the handguard does not disturb at all, if i place my finger in the choil the knife glides automaticly in its right position. Hope that helps, or if you want i can make some pictures and post them.

Best regards
David
Marulaghost wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Davidzhs wrote:

David

Knifecenter has a YouTube video of the Bowie and he discussed and displayed the different group positions. That being said I'm not so sure how much use the presenter bag out the knife through

Sal, David, Marulaghost,

thanks for your replies!

@ Sal: To create a choil in order to make chopping easier and safer is a very interesting and usefull approach! On my largest fixed blade (still a bit smaller and lighter than the Respect), I have a long lanyard wrapped around my hand when chopping. That perfectly prevents accidently "throwing" the knife, but the long lanyard can get annoying while doing other tasks or even when carrying the knife. So your approach is a really (for me) new and usefull one! Only drawback I could possibly see; When chopping with most efficency, one normally wants to hold the knife on the very rear of the handle to create more impact. That´s obviously not possible when the index finger is in that "choil". But then, the Respect is heavy enough to be still a good chopper even in that particular grip I am sure.

@ Marulaghost: Thanks a lot, I watched the vid just now. The guy there states, that the choils primary purpose would be, to make it easier pulling out the knife after stabbing something and the blade gets stuck in there. Probably a scenario, that will not occcur to often, but IF, beeing able to pull back the knife while choked up and pushing against the front side of the guard, sure is a good thing.

@ David: Don´t want to bother you in any way, but if you find the time to post a pic how it looks like when you`re choked up on the knife, that would be very kind of you. If not, no problem though!
Still can´t really figure how that massive guard would NOT get in the way to some extent when choking up.
I want to emphasize here: I think it is great, that the knife HAS this kind of guard. Would not be a bowie if it didn´t!

So in conclusion: That "choil" really seems to be a multipurpose feature: Enhances chopping ability, makes it easyier to pull the knife out of material... AND can also act like a good old finger choil... ;)