Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2019 Report

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ol_lukey

Re: Spyderco Amsterdam Meet 2019 Report

Post by ol_lukey »

i like how the saber grind follows the line of the handle scale.. but thats all i like about that knife hah
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

It’s so thin it probably still slices okay.

Thanks for the vids, Wout. I hope you have a Dfly wharncliffe hidden away somewhere. ;)
- best wishes, Jazz.
vivi

Re: Spyderco 2019 Production Sample – Police 4 Lightweight

Post by vivi »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:11 pm
I certainly didn’t see this design coming, the Police 4 with a lightweight FRN handle. This knife is all sorts of long, slender and light weight. I can imagine you’d forget you’d carry this knife, it’s that light for its size. If I recall correctly, the bladesteel on the lightweight will (also) be K390. Fit and finish were spot on. I hope they’ll make a serrated one, so I can retire my G10 Police 4 as a travel folding bread knife.

Specifications
Overall Length: 25,4 cm / 10 inches
Blade Length: 11,1 cm / 4.37 inches
Blade Thickness: 3 mm / 0.11 inches
Weight: 85 grams / 2.99 ounces

I have no information on pricing or specific release dates.
Is that weight correct? I thought Sal said they'd be 4oz.

I'm torn between this and the Native Chief, they both look awesome. Both are day one purchases for me. One will end up being my new EDC without a doubt.
:unicorn
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:59 pm

I'm torn between this and the Native Chief, they both look awesome. Both are day one purchases for me. One will end up being my new EDC without a doubt.

And one of them has no thumb ramp. :cool:
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
vivi

Post by vivi »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:22 pm
Vivi wrote:

That's why I'm leaning towards the Chief being my new #1. I prefer no thumb ramp on my knives.

The Native ergos always worked well for me, it's just smaller than I like to carry.

I'm really excited for this release. This feels like the first time I saw the Police 3 photos from the Amsterdam meet from that year....as soon as I saw it I knew I'd be buying one ASAP.

Hope we see the Chief this year!
vivi

Re: Video: Spyderco 2019 Production Sample – Police 4 Lightweight

Post by vivi »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:08 pm
This year, I managed to also shoot some video of the various production samples. I figured this might give an even better impression of the new Spyderco knives. First up, the excellent Police 4 Lightweight Production Sample!

https://youtu.be/QEMw4TbRXqM

Other videos will follow…
The contouring on the edges of the handles looks great! Seems to operate real smooth too!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:35 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:27 am
Ooh ooohh oooohhh that Native Chief! I have GOT to have one of those! Wow!
The chief looks great indeed. But as I already posted: The tip could be really fragile possibly, even more so than on the Mili maybe? I´d really be interested in how you (and others) think about that.. I mean, so far all knives of the Native family (Native, Native LW, Lil Native, lets put the Shaman also in that row) are rather stout working blades, also when it comes to tip-strength. The Chief maybe not.

Though on some pics it looks like as if the distal taper of the blade makes the tip a bit more robust than you´d guess at first glance.

Thoughts on that, anyone?
Not at all worried. I've used Millies and Police folders for years with no broken tips. If I need to pry something I have flatheads on my multitool.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:31 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Vivi wrote:

That's why I'm leaning towards the Chief being my new #1. I prefer no thumb ramp on my knives.

The Native ergos always worked well for me, it's just smaller than I like to carry.

I'm really excited for this release. This feels like the first time I saw the Police 3 photos from the Amsterdam meet from that year....as soon as I saw it I knew I'd be buying one ASAP.

Yeah same here. I have always liked the Native ergos, but generally prefer a longer blade. Some thumb ramps don't bother me, but I'd just as soon do without one.
I'm thinking this Native Chief will be the first Spyderco I purchase solely for the design and not the steel.
Last edited by The Meat man on Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
araneae

Re: Video: Spyderco 2019 Production Sample – Dragonfly 2 Emerson Opener

Post by araneae »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:32 pm

On the Emerson DFly: Cool, that such a model exists now, but it is not for me... sabregrind instead of the slicier FFG, less penetration when for example cutting cardboard due to the Emerson feature, most likely less comfortable when you put your finger on the spine compared to the regular model.

I can say that for me among the two upcoming DFlys one will be my most favorite (Wharnie), one my least favorite (Emerson) in the DFly line-up...
I feel similarly, but part of me is like, it's a D'fly, it can't be all bad... Might be the only waved model I would buy. We'll see.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

So in summary:

1) Police 4 LW
2) Endela
3) Dragonfly Waved
4) Dragonfly Wharncliffe
5) Small Efficient
6) Emphasis
7) Sage 5 LW
8) Native Chief
9) Baliyo
10) Byrd Harrier

Of those I might be interested in the Endela, and a Baliyo might make a fun work toy.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:37 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
The chief looks great indeed. But as I already posted: The tip could be really fragile possibly, even more so than on the Mili maybe? I´d really be interested in how you (and others) think about that.. I mean, so far all knives of the Native family (Native, Native LW, Lil Native, lets put the Shaman also in that row) are rather stout working blades, also when it comes to tip-strength. The Chief maybe not.

Though on some pics it looks like as if the distal taper of the blade makes the tip a bit more robust than you´d guess at first glance.

Not at all worried. I've used Millies and Police folders for years with no broken tips. If I need to pry something I have flatheads on my multitool.
It´s funny how different the experiences concerning tip strength of Millie and PM2 are on this forum (it´s been discussed several times here lately).
I really can´t weigh in here, since I almost never carry my Millie and have had my gifted PM2 only for a quite short period of time now (though this one gets carried a lot). I personally really like the pointy tip, but am always a little worried about breaking it. Probably reasonless then.. It´s just that I don´t have real experience with that kind of tips, since I am used to the Endura / Stretch / Delica style.

(EDIT: Just had a look: Even the very tip of my Chap seems to be more robust than the very tip of PM2 or Millie)

Taking the PM2 as an example: Generally it´s a bit incoherent to me, that the blade in itself is very stout and I could twist and abuse it, but always have to watch out (presumably), that (just) the very tip is not involved when I´d do so.
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:49 am
Wartstein wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

I am probably not the person to ask. The Natives are not my favorite knives. They do not fit my hand and there is too little cutting edge for the amount of blade. It is not that I think they are terrible, but I just do not prefer them.

I like this new Native Chief with that useable splinter picking point, long straightish blade, and back lock (my preferred lock). I do not pry with my knives as a rule, so a pointy tip does not bother me at all.
Thanks for the reply!

Concerning the Natives, I feel exactly like you do: The absolute length of the handle COULD give me a four finger grip if it was shaped differently, but as it is I have to use the choil. And the choil sacrifices to much edge for my taste.

BUT: With the Native CHIEF things could change! The handle BEHIND the choil certainly is long enough for a full four finger grip, and the blade itself is long enough so that the choil still leaves enough edge for my liking.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mr Blonde

Video: Spyderco 2019 Production Sample – Dragonfly 2 Wharncliffe

Post by Mr Blonde »

https://youtu.be/wgG2ibti6ww
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:31 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Vivi wrote:

This knife seems designed for us, back lock, low to no ramp, Millie like tip, and all. I am personally very excited by this knife if it comes in as the picture shows.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

Yep...been a long time since I anticipated a new release this much.
Mr Blonde

Video: Spyderco 2019 Production Sample – Small Efficient

Post by Mr Blonde »

https://youtu.be/mPzfr-5yyTI
Mr Blonde

Video: Spyderco 2019 Production Sample – Emphasis

Post by Mr Blonde »

https://youtu.be/lXGfvJfQM1M
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

I assume the Emphasis will be made in China? Looks like a budget liner lock Native Chief. I think it'll do well.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Emphasis in S30V and with a back lock would be essentially a smaller Chief but still way larger than the Native... and would then be my choice over the chief. Still a very long blade (9.1 cm) but not as huge as the Chief (10.4) and overall length more than 2 cm shorter... just personal preference of course.
Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I like that emphasis a LOT.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!