My first nice bike despite being 20years old.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Sjucaveman

My first nice bike despite being 20years old.

Post by Sjucaveman »

My mom bought me this bike at an auction and I just got it back from the bike shop today. It's by far the nicest bike I've ever had despite being about 20 years old. I look forward to riding the world class mountain biking trails near my house.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
JD Spydo

Re: My first nice bike despite being 20years old.

Post by JD Spydo »

Dude!!! I've been trying to find one of those aluminum frame CANNONDALE bikes for the past 5 years now. I've pretty much given up and I think I'm going to cave in a get a "SPECIALIZED" Stumpjumper at my local bike shop. I do want a good "mountain" or "off road" bike and I've been a fan of those older CANNONDALE bikes since the 80s. But that newer "SPECIALIZED" Stumpjumper sure looks well constructed. IF I do go ahead and buy that bad boy I hope it will last me at least 10 to 12 years>> that is if the good lord above let's me hang around that long.

Years ago I had a "TAKARA" twelve speed with Suntour equipment and I won a couple of races with that bike. It had a Crome-Moly frame but it was still a really nice bike. But I do want something in the "off road" variety because where I'm living we have a lot of places you can ride one.

Dude you're sure getting me itchy to want to go bike riding :D Oh by the way what kind of derraileurs does that CANNONDALE have?
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:04 am
My mom bought me this bike at an auction and I just got it back from the bike shop today. It's by far the nicest bike I've ever had despite being about 20 years old. I look forward to riding the world class mountain biking trails near my house.

Congratulations on your new ride...sweet! Even though mine are gravity bikes , I ride them around town or on local trails whenever I can.
Enjoy

James
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I like it! Sure is neat looking!!!

I'm getting old (59 this year) but I still have the bicycle that I raced in the Iowa Games, time trial and road race, back in the early 90's. It's a Serotta, they are not made anymore, and I'll never get rid of it.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Nate

Post by Nate »

Congrats!

Great bikes. I still rock a Cannondale F700 CAD2 that I think is a 1997 model. :p :o
:spyder:
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Gratz, You just Have to love those lefty forks, looks awesome.
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Mom3ntuM wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:54 am
Gratz, You just Have to love those lefty forks, looks awesome.
I didn't know such a thing existed prior to getting the bike. The engineer does a good job explaining the science behind why it's an improvement in his opinion.
Adam
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:07 pm
Dude!!! I've been trying to find one of those aluminum frame CANNONDALE bikes for the past 5 years now. I've pretty much given up and I think I'm going to cave in a get a "SPECIALIZED" Stumpjumper at my local bike shop. I do want a good "mountain" or "off road" bike and I've been a fan of those older CANNONDALE bikes since the 80s. But that newer "SPECIALIZED" Stumpjumper sure looks well constructed. IF I do go ahead and buy that bad boy I hope it will last me at least 10 to 12 years>> that is if the good lord above let's me hang around that long.

Years ago I had a "TAKARA" twelve speed with Suntour equipment and I won a couple of races with that bike. It had a Crome-Moly frame but it was still a really nice bike. But I do want something in the "off road" variety because where I'm living we have a lot of places you can ride one.

Dude you're sure getting me itchy to want to go bike riding :D Oh by the way what kind of derraileurs does that CANNONDALE have?
I'll look in a bit.
Adam
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

JD Spydo wrote:

Looks like shimano deore.
Adam
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:20 pm
JD Spydo wrote:

Looks like shimano deore.
Oh Shimano is very decent equipment for derailluers especially. The only equipment I've heard that the Campagnolo equipment is the best of the best but sometimes that Campagnolo equipment can cost more than the bike itself. But the guys and gals I used to train with that were very serious about their bike competitions all either had Shimano or Campagnolo equipment.

I truly envy your find of that old CANNONDALE bike. I'm kind of surprised they didn't become a major brand like Schwinn, Specialized or one of the other high dollar brands of bicycles. I don't think that they make those TAKARA bikes anymore. They were Japanese but high end Japanese equipment at that. The Suntour equipment I had on that old TAKARA was quite adequate for the twelve speed set up I had.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Great bike. I love the low hanging tree fruit too.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Sweet! I gave up mountain biking years ago. Now all of my bikes have motors. I probably need to get another pedal powered version.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
remnar

Post by remnar »

Nate wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:50 pm
Congrats!

Great bikes. I still rock a Cannondale F700 CAD2 that I think is a 1997 model. :p :o
I have that same bike...I need to ride it more. :)
Nate

Post by Nate »

remnar wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:46 pm

I have that same bike...I need to ride it more. :)

Nice! Mine sadly hasn't seen any trails in a long time, but still plenty of riding around the 'burbs with the kids.
:spyder: