Massdrop SG2 Delica...arrived!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tvenuto

Re: Massdrop SG2 Delica shipped??!?

Post by tvenuto »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:44 pm
I think that all the Fallknivens in this steel are laminated as well.
Probably availability, then.
archangel

Post by archangel »

I'm a bit surprised that none have popped up on the bay yet...
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Well with the money spent nigh on a year ago (and no communication for many months), it really does feel like you were randomly delivered a free knife. I'm sure you'll see them up there, but maybe not at the rate we normally see.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

archangel wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:43 am
I'm a bit surprised that none have popped up on the bay yet...
A few have already. I see 2 now and they have been there for a few days. $189 and $249... that's more than I would like to pay.
p_atrick

Re: Massdrop SG2 Delica...arrived!!

Post by p_atrick »

I got an email from MassDrop about a Delica Blue Box deal. Basically, you buy a Delica from MassDrop and they will have upgrades and giveaways for a certain percentage of the Delicas purchased. There will be some SG2 upgrades given away through this drop. I guess they still have some lying around.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Got home and mine were waiting for me. I'll be very interested to see how they perform. :)

I also haven't carried either a Delica or Endura in the last several years, so this will be interesting that way too.
archangel

Post by archangel »

What's their SKU#? I don't see them, must be using wrong search string... Or they won't ship to Germany.
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

archangel wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:49 am
What's their SKU#? I don't see them, must be using wrong search string... Or they won't ship to Germany.
Where are you looking?

I think the only way to get one (for sure) was to be part of the original group buy on Massdrop. The remainder look like they are just going to be used for promos and such. Maybe they'll do another drop on them?
archangel

Post by archangel »

Ebay search for Spyderco C11FPBKSG returns zero finds (for me).
Michael
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I can’t wait- this will be my first Endura.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

archangel wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:31 am
Ebay search for Spyderco C11FPBKSG returns zero finds (for me).
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=sp ... super+gold
archangel

Post by archangel »

Thanks. Yep, no shipment to Germany. Not that I would pay that much. Just wanted to know them prices on da bay... :)
Michael
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

jabba359 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:04 pm
If somebody that gets one wouldn't mind sharing the second half of the letter that comes with it, I'd appreciate it. All the pictures on eBay show it folded over, ending right when it starts to talk about the steel used, so I'm curious what the Spyderco literature has to say about Super Gold.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

To elaborate a bit more (from my understanding) on the San Mai aesthetic that Albatross had mentioned earlier in the thread; this cladding of steels is a tradition that dates back hundreds, if not thousand(s) of years among blacksmiths who forged samurai swords, rather than to solely enhance the stainless abilities (although I'm sure this might be an additional perk). This process allows the inner core steel to be hardened much higher to produce a very fine edge (reminiscent of carbon steels and newer age PM steels, like SG2), while the outer-jacket was to keep toughness and flexibility without allowing the core steel to break due to brittleness, when contacting another sword, or like media (I.E. armor, bone). In pocket knives, I doubt we see the full benefit outside of someone laterally torqueing their knives, but the history behind it is really astounding and certainly shows the level of ingenuity and reverence the Japanese have had for steel for many, many years. So, this is certainly not solely a "cost cutting factor". Hopefully this helps someone overcome their unwelcomingly uneven cladding lines with a bit more knowledge on the Japanese tradition :)

On topic, I'm bummed I missed out on these runs. I believe I was mere days short of the drop window :(. I hope the response of these goes over so well that Spyderco decides to initiate another run!
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

weeping minora wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:33 pm
On topic, I'm bummed I missed out on these runs. I believe I was mere days short of the drop window :(. I hope the response of these goes over so well that Spyderco decides to initiate another run!
I think that decision is up to Massdrop.
Honestly though, i doubt they'd do a second run of the exact models that came out
But that would still leave room for a few others to have a run. You could have an SG2 dragonfly, a stretch 2, possibly an endela (cough cough) and there appears to be an onslaught of wharncliffe blades coming out of Sek City.
Of course Massdrop could just choose to go again with the regular ol delica and endura, if they sold out before they could sell out again maybe
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Thanks for sharing Sharp Guy! :D
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Marulaghost wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:45 pm
weeping minora wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:33 pm
I think that decision is up to Massdrop.
Honestly though, i doubt they'd do a second run of the exact models that came out
But that would still leave room for a few others to have a run. You could have an SG2 dragonfly, a stretch 2, possibly an endela (cough cough) and there appears to be an onslaught of wharncliffe blades coming out of Sek City.
Of course Massdrop could just choose to go again with the regular ol delica and endura, if they sold out before they could sell out again maybe
Any other vendor could do a run of sg2 delicas and enduras(just like everyone did hap40 last year), they just couldn't use the black and gold color scheme. Massdrop owns the black and gold sg2 design, not the colors or steel individually; meaning a run of black(or most other colors) sg2 with polished stainless(or dlc) lock bars could be done by anyone.
If massdrop does another run of these, we wont likely see them for another 2 years or more, since this run took a year.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Both of these knives seem to be available at Country Knives. Looks like they have the 113V CC stamp. Price is a bit steep for me, but for anyone else interested, have at 'em!
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
fixall

Post by fixall »

For those of you with these in hand...

How do you think black G10 and bronze Ti hardware would look? Is the "gold" too gold to match to bronze?
Last edited by fixall on Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.