We are saved! Baseball Season is here!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

We are saved! Baseball Season is here!

Post by Doc Dan »

Finally! Baseball season has returned. It has been a long dry spell since October. Anyone else, here, a baseball fan?

What are your favorite teams? I like the Yankees, Braves, and yes, Boston (my wife's favorite team as we used to live there). Yes, I know I am full of contradictions, but that is the way it goes. I even like the Cards and Angels. Otherwise, any other team, it is war! HaHaha!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MacLaren

Re: We are saved! Baseball Season is here!

Post by MacLaren »

Well, I like Atlanta. But, they wont spend any money lol.
They seem to be well pleased with mediocrity.
So, anymore I just pull for whom I want too lol.
I really like Madison Bumgarner of the Giants. Hes a hometown man. From the county beside mine.
He has a pitching mound in his barn in the off season lol.
Besides that, I'm glad baseball is here too. :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I used to be a baseball fan at one time. And I was an avid fan at that. Having the Kansas City Royals at my fingertips back in the 70s & 80s ( yeah when they were a real team with George Brett & Co.). But I haven't enjoyed a baseball game since 2001 when Randy Johnson ( The Big Unit) and the Arizona Diamondbacks shut down the evil empire New York Yankees. It truly was a thing of beauty.

We had some good years with the Royals when George Brett, Frank White and Brett Saberhagen were all together. I was also an avid fan of the Big Red Machine ( The 1970s Cincinnati Reds) with Johnny Bench, Pete Rose, Joe Morgan, Ken Griffey Sr, Tony Perez ect>> they steamrolled the 1975 & 76 World Series and that team was truly a "machine" as their title indicated.

But in these modern times of what I like to call "Billion dollar crybabies" and people who have no loyalty to their team at all. Can't remember the last complete game I watched but it's been years. Baseball is not the game it used to be at all. I bet I'm not the only one who feels this way :(
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:59 pm
Finally! Baseball season has returned. It has been a long dry spell since October. Anyone else, here, a baseball fan?

What are your favorite teams? I like the Yankees, Braves, and yes, Boston (my wife's favorite team as we used to live there). Yes, I know I am full of contradictions, but that is the way it goes. I even like the Cards and Angels. Otherwise, any other team, it is war! HaHaha!
Yankees (family is from New York originally) and the Giants!
JD Spydo wrote:

But in these modern times of what I like to call "Billion dollar crybabies" and people who have no loyalty to their team at all. Can't remember the last complete game I watched but it's been years. Baseball is not the game it used to be at all. I bet I'm not the only one who feels this way :(
I agree with most of what you say and hardly watch sports (TV in general ) anymore!

James
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Baseball is as good as it was, in general, but they have a lot more rules. Baseball also has a lot less million dollar crybabies than the NFL or NBA, for certain. Plus, baseball is a well rounded sport, unlike NFL. In baseball, men have to know how to play all of the positions, just in case, and they have to play both offense and defense. Not only that, but they have to play as a team to win. Superstars baseball has, but the team does not depend upon them to win, unlike other sports. It is the best.

Baseball is the only sport where you see players doing consistent good things for other people. It is America's sport. If I could find a old guys' softball team in this part of the world, I'd join.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I live in NY..but can't stand the Yankees!! They just try to buy titles because of the insane amount of money they have. Plus, most everyone I know is a Yankees fan. Lots of Red Sox fans have suddenly popped up the past 15 years or so as well.

Me... I'm a Brewers fan. Around 20 years ago I didn't really follow baseball but all my friends did. I decided to start cheering for a random team, different than anybody else. I chose the Brewers. They've had some bad years and some great years...1 game from the World Series last year!! Looking to build on it before we lose all our studs to the Yanks. Sox or Dodgers once contacts are up.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

When it comes to being an "all star" in baseball, what are the main skills it takes? Is it more about good hand to eye coordination for batters and catchers, or, is it more about being able to run the bases well, and stamina, or what do you say?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Red Birds!
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:32 pm
Red Birds!
Yeah man! Those Cardinals are baseball royalty.
The City of St.Louis sure knows their team and baseball too.
A class act all the way around imo.
Much respect for those red birds!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I watch a few MLB games every year on TV, go to a game or two every year, and of course I do watch the playoffs. I'm from the South Side of Chicago and pennant races are interesting. I think Chicago's chances of winning any time soon are slim and none, hahahahaha. Maybe they will surprise me!

I use to follow the UFC MMA, and Judo Championships. Have not been to see a UFC match in some time, but I have gotten together with guys for PPV matches.

Sometimes I watch the Olympics. I grew up watching them like a hawk. It's fantastic to see what everyone from all over the globe can do.

I follow the NHL pretty regularly having grown up playing hockey, sometimes MotoGP (motorcycle road racing) and that's about it. I'll watch the NHL Stanley Cup playoffs as long as the games are good.

I watch some of the NFL Playoff games, and the Superbowl. The Playoffs are better to watch than the Superbowl.

Use to go to the Indy 500 every year, but I dropped doing that.

To tell you the truth I'd rather participate: I've road raced bicycles, street road and drag raced motorcycles, 3-Gun shooting, martial arts, but I'm getting old, so I just collect knives and books on Prepping.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Lowly Reds fan here, Cincinnati born and raised. It's a hard life being a Reds and Bengal's fan let me tell ya. I'm only a casual fan though so it doesn't hurt that bad most of the time. At least we won opening day.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:34 am
Lowly Reds fan here, Cincinnati born and raised. It's a hard life being a Reds and Bengal's fan let me tell ya. I'm only a casual fan though so it doesn't hurt that bad most of the time. At least we won opening day.
You missed the good part I reckon, when they were the Big Red Machine. Man, they used to be unbelievably good.
Heck, I remember the 1990 Series when they swept Oakland.
That was awesome. I think that was the last for them though.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:28 am
Evil D wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:34 am
You missed the good part I reckon, when they were the Big Red Machine. Man, they used to be unbelievably good.
Heck, I remember the 1990 Series when they swept Oakland.
That was awesome. I think that was the last for them though.
No I was around for that, it's just sucked ever since lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Cheering for the Red Sox was a part of growing up around Boston, so its safe to say I'm a Red Sox fan. :D It was a fun time to be a fan when they "broke the curse" and they've continued to be a good team since then! Also, I played baseball as a kid so, of course, I watched the home team for inspiration.

I'm defintiely more into the NFL than any other professional sport, but I still enjoy and appreciate MLB and other sports. It's definitely good content to pass the time between each NFL season ;) but with that said GO SOX!
-Nick :bug-red
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I am the exact opposite of a baseball fan. I consider myself a baseball foe. I started a club called “Move the Orioles” but thus far I’m the only member. Sometimes when you’re right you’re by yourself.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:58 am
When it comes to being an "all star" in baseball, what are the main skills it takes? Is it more about good hand to eye coordination for batters and catchers, or, is it more about being able to run the bases well, and stamina, or what do you say?
Forgive me for answering your question with another question, but...would it kill you to just once answer the question in the original post of a thread?
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

tvenuto wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:05 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:58 am
Forgive me for answering your question with another question, but...would it kill you to just once answer the question in the original post of a thread?
The Chicago Cubs, ofcourse.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

My boy Yelich is off to an insane start for the Brew Crew! Kind of bummed we're down 2 of our best guys from the bull pen, one of them for the season. But, if the bats keep popping off they should remain strong. Still bummed they never got an ace pitcher in the off season.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:03 am
My boy Yelich is off to an insane start for the Brew Crew! Kind of bummed we're down 2 of our best guys from the bull pen, one of them for the season. But, if the bats keep popping off they should remain strong. Still bummed they never got an ace pitcher in the off season.
It's time the Brew Crew won a Series.
I hope yall have a great season.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote: The Chicago Cubs, ofcourse.