Massdrop SG2 Delica...arrived!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tvenuto

Massdrop SG2 Delica...arrived!!

Post by tvenuto »

:eek: Just got an email saying my massdrop super gold Delica has shipped! I joined this drop on April 3, 2018, so it looks like I’ll get this one in less than a year!

Pumped! (It was ordering this knife which jarred me out of a several-year hiatus from this forum.) :D
Last edited by tvenuto on Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mushroom

Re: Massdrop SG2 Delica shipped??!?

Post by Mushroom »

I just noticed a youtube video, from"KeithKevinKen", highlighting a Super Gold 2 Endura as well!

I didn't even know they did an Endura, i thought it was just a Delica run. :spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'm very interested to hear people's experiences with this steel.
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

So massdrop is the only place to get This knife? If There Where only sold 6-700 Of a run Of 1000 There should be some left, Maybe they are doing another drop?
There is a 1% chance Of getting a sg2 in their active bluebox drop, but if they don't sell 30000 blueboxes There has to be some left.
Ahh, i want one.
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I got the impression that they are using the rest of the run to do their "blue box" promos, and will dole them out slowly over time.

I got shipping notification on both Endura and Delica, so hopefully they'll be waiting when I get back home. :)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:30 pm
I'm very interested to hear people's experiences with this steel.
Good luck with that :rolleyes:

Though it would be nice hear some details on something new! I've never even heard of this steel or knife. Something new and exciting!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Exciting!

I'm hoping to snag one of these up, any extras out there? ;)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

For anyone who is wondering, this is supposed to be the same as the "3G" Fallkniven used in their folders and the "limited" run F1 they did a few years back. 3G responds really well to stropping and seemed(from what I remember of my F1) to hold an edge for quite a while.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

That has been a very long wait!!! Congrats to those who made it happen, and yes I am envious!! :p

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

If somebody that gets one wouldn't mind sharing the second half of the letter that comes with it, I'd appreciate it. All the pictures on eBay show it folded over, ending right when it starts to talk about the steel used, so I'm curious what the Spyderco literature has to say about Super Gold.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Albatross wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:49 pm
For anyone who is wondering, this is supposed to be the same as the "3G" Fallkniven used in their folder...
Yes. That's what got me interested.

I have a Fallkniven folder (their "Legal to Carry") in 3G that I've found interesting. I wish the blade was thinner, and the action isn't as smooth as my Taichung folders (more in line with Seki) but the steel has been interesting to play with. I'm looking forward to having it in an EDC package I'm more likely to spend time with in Idaho.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:34 pm
Exciting!

I'm hoping to snag one of these up, any extras out there? ;)
I haven't checked eBay, but they took long enough that I think there were Massdrop members who ended up with them long after they'd forgotten about them, and may just turn them over.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:25 am
Albatross wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:49 pm
For anyone who is wondering, this is supposed to be the same as the "3G" Fallkniven used in their folder...
Yes. That's what got me interested.

I have a Fallkniven folder (their "Legal to Carry") in 3G that I've found interesting. I wish the blade was thinner, and the action isn't as smooth as my Taichung folders (more in line with Seki) but the steel has been interesting to play with. I'm looking forward to having it in an EDC package I'm more likely to spend time with in Idaho.
I only heard about this run a few months ago, so I've missed out, but hopefully this opens the door to other vendors. I'd love to see a G10 SG2 Delica/Endura run, or maybe a Pakkawood/SG2 run.

I looked on Ebay last night and found 2 Delicas listed. $189 the cheaper of the two, by far. What did these cost during the pre-order?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I think $189 is MSRP.

I believe they were $120 in pre-order on Massdrop, with expected shipping (from Massdrop) of November 2018 (so they're a wee bit late).
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

From my reading and experience with an F1 in 3G it's kind of in between ZDP and S30V for edge holding, haven't had any chipping problem, but the F1 is pretty thick.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

This thing is going straight in my pocket, but I probably don't cut enough stuff to get good data on the steel in a timely fashion (or to actually tell). I mainly got it because the Delica is my favorite EDC, it's a new STAINLESS steel, and I actually don't have a black delica strangely enough. Plus I thought the idea to do a conversion coating on the lockbar was a unique way to customize it.

I'll try and post pics but this site doesn't make that the easiest thing in the world to do.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Landed. We’ll see if I can get pictures up.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Some quick and dirty pics. Super sharp out of the box. Somewhat surprised to see that it came with the desiccant packet and coated with oil like you'd expect with non-stainless blades. From my understanding, SG2 is stainless. Perhaps the maker always does this with clad knives (since they are often carbon steels)?

Also I do wonder why they went with cladding. Availability? Material cost? Manufacturing cost? Final blade toughness?

I like the accent of the lockbar coating, and I'm always happy to pick up another Delica, especially in something that feels unique. The fact that it's stainless is icing on the cake. And it's my first black one!
Last edited by tvenuto on Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I think that all the Fallknivens in this steel are laminated as well.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

The cladding is a Japanese specialty. San Mai is the name, and while it's beneficial for non-stainless blades, they do it with stainless as well. Sometimes it's also to help with toughness, as the core steel can be more brittle than the clad.