Aogami kitchenstuff.....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
toomzz

Aogami kitchenstuff.....

Post by toomzz »

Hello there,

Been out a while, reducing my consuming-footprint by buying less knives but you gotta love this....aogami kitchenknives by Spyderco....love it!!

Just saw the new Spyderbyte, did you guys and girls see that Spyder-engraved 2 inch snubnose?
SG89

Re: Aogami kitchenstuff.....

Post by SG89 »

Good eye toomzz... I wonder if that is Sal's piece
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I must have missed that. Saw this on Instagram though....
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I like that they are offering knives in this series at a variety of price points, and BD1N is very tempting.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Those..... will be a must have. Been saving for a 270mm HAP40 chef knife, but I may order one of these sooner. Well done Spyderco.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
FK

Post by FK »

If the retail price is reasonable,,,, i will gave the complete set.
i have been into Japanese kitchen knives for 20+ years.

FK
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I'm a line cook who likes to use Miyabi knives with VG10 and MC63 (SuperGold2) and MAC knives. This is like exactly the kind of chef knives I want to throw into my routine.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Might have to get a BD1N or two...
blues

Post by blues »

I bought these from Murray Carter years ago while he was still working and building knives in Japan:

- Retired from the chase -
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

Murray Carter is a legend in my book. I'm really excited about this collaboration. These are must-buys for me.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

p_atrick wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:48 pm
I like that they are offering knives in this series at a variety of price points, and BD1N is very tempting.
Were these mentioned being introduced with BD1N as well? AFAIK, I've only seen Aogami Super as the steel being used. Nonetheless, BD1N is a fine steel for kitchen work!

If this is any indicator on pricing... just found this link to the 7 1/4" Nakiri...

https://www.countryknives.com/shop-by-d ... burl-g-12/

Note the G-12 handles instead of G-10 :eek: :p. They also seem to have the collector number 113V models for the SG2 Delica and Endura if anyone is interested. A bit rich for my blood at the moment :cool:
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

weeping minora wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:27 pm
p_atrick wrote:
Were these mentioned being introduced with BD1N as well? AFAIK, I've only seen Aogami Super as the steel being used. Nonetheless, BD1N is a fine steel for kitchen work!

If this is any indicator on pricing... just found this link to the 7 1/4" Nakiri...

Note the G-12 handles instead of G-10 :eek: :p. They also seem to have the collector number 113V models for the SG2 Delica and Endura if anyone is interested. A bit rich for my blood at the moment :cool:
The collaboration knives should be aogami super.
The golden-made budget kitchen knives should be bd1n
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Marulaghost wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:40 pm
weeping minora wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:27 pm
p_atrick wrote:

Thanks for the clarification... Upon further examination of the knives at Country Knives; they feature a number of models of the Murray collab that you can add to your cart and proceed to checkout with. Prices are quite high and don't signify if they are listed at MAP or not, but most of their listings seem like they're selling at full MSRP. Looks like most of these will be coming in at around the mid $100s after MAP takes affect :cool:
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Marulaghost wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:40 pm

In the SpyderByte newsletter last week they talk about the Cater Cutlery collaboration being made in three different types:
"Itamae (Chef) Series" in Super Blue
"Wakiita (Journeyman) Series" in CTS BD1N
"Minarai (Apprentice) Series" in CTS BD1N

Each has a different handle material and price point.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

weeping minora wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:01 pm
Thanks for the clarification... Upon further examination of the knives at Country Knives; they feature a number of models of the Murray collab that you can add to your cart and proceed to checkout with. Prices are quite high and don't signify if they are listed at MAP or not, but most of their listings seem like they're selling at full MSRP. Looks like most of these will be coming in at around the mid $100s after MAP takes affect :cool:

According to the most recent Spyderco Byte, the MAP for the new kitchen knives will be the same as the MSRP:

"Spyderco is very excited to announce the launch of “Spyderco Culinary Products”—a dedicated sales channel that will focus exclusively on kitchen cutlery and related accessories. Because of the specialized nature of many of the products in this channel—like the Murray Carter Collection—we have decided that it requires a different sales program than our other products. This program will only include select dealers, will not include two-step distribution, and will not allow sales through third-party web sites. The MAP for this program will also be the full MSRP of the products."

Unless I'm missing something...
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

The Meat man wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:54 pm

According to the most recent Spyderco Byte, the MAP for the new kitchen knives will be the same as the MSRP:

"Spyderco is very excited to announce the launch of “Spyderco Culinary Products”—a dedicated sales channel that will focus exclusively on kitchen cutlery and related accessories. Because of the specialized nature of many of the products in this channel—like the Murray Carter Collection—we have decided that it requires a different sales program than our other products. This program will only include select dealers, will not include two-step distribution, and will not allow sales through third-party web sites. The MAP for this program will also be the full MSRP of the products."

Oh man! I didn't see that... that's unfortunate. I was expecting current MAP pricing which would bring the high-end line into a much more affordable range.
FK

Post by FK »

The ref web site has MSRP of $335 for a 7.25 inch Nakiri,,,, which is the same pricing for retail MAP?
These appear to be not forged,,, but laminated steel from a rolling mill bonding process.
Very mass production type of common construction.

No thank you,,,, I can purchase two comparable super blue steel knives with forged blades for this price.

Regards,
FK
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Yeah, if MAP=MSRP pricing on this run; that's a hard pass from me. $400 for the 10" gyuto in burled G-10; I can't see the justification. Maybe Murray himself crafted each blade? Dunno :confused:. Was quite excited about these knives too :(. Cheers for the info Meat man. I'm in agreeance with FK; there are many other knives that would be worth the price of admission over these for much less monies without having to sacrifice anything that these knives could outclass at near double the price :cool:. I think this one has fallen to collaboration namesake rather than what is actually being brought to the table
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

The Meat man wrote:

Is this the March byte featuring the Respect? This information was not in the one I received?
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Catamount123 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:51 am
The Meat man wrote:

Is this the March byte featuring the Respect? This information was not in the one I received?

Yeah it's from the March Byte. Close to the end.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"