Where is my Bow River ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bloke

Re: Where is my Bow River ?

Post by Bloke »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:38 pm
Bloke wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:35 pm
Am I the only one that's finding it hard to get exited over a $32 8Cr13MoV knife made in China? :confused:
I get it Bloke. But, for someone like myself that uses a Manix/PM2/Salt SE while camping, along with a Kershaw Camp 10 machete, I find this Bow River to be the perfect middle of the pack knife. If it doesn't meet expecations...then big deal, was only $32 :p
Hey Rick, I was very excited when I first heard Spyderco were to make another one of Mr Wilson’s knives as I own a Sprig and Southfork. Both of which I consider to be exceptional production knives and took it for granted that the Bow River would follow suit, that being Green G-10 scales, S90V blade and bolatron sheath.

Maybe the performance of the Sprig and Southfork have spoiled me and try as I might I just can’t get excited over this one.

A blade stamped China certainly isn’t helping. :o
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

Nothing bad if the blade has stamped China on it, particularly in that steel. They do a great job with the heat treatment, and besides, long gone are the days when China only did low quality products. For $32, its going to be an amazing knife, and popular I bet. I can't wait to get it!

Sure, I would appreciate it more in an exotic steel, but would most people really want to pay 7-8 times more? I don't know, from a business point of view the reason why Sprig and Southfork were retired is because they weren't selling enough, so the price was definitely an issue for most people. Its a knife targeted at the average joe, to experience a good geometry in an affordable knife, its not necessarily meant for us edge-lords :D
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

emanuel wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:59 am
Nothing bad if the blade has stamped China on it, particularly in that steel. They do a great job with the heat treatment, and besides, long gone are the days when China only did low quality products. For $32, its going to be an amazing knife, and popular I bet. I can't wait to get it!

Sure, I would appreciate it more in an exotic steel, but would most people really want to pay 7-8 times more? I don't know, from a business point of view the reason why Sprig and Southfork were retired is because they weren't selling enough, so the price was definitely an issue for most people. Its a knife targeted at the average joe, to experience a good geometry in an affordable knife, its not necessarily meant for us edge-lords :D
Hey emanuel, I have no doubt the Bow River will be a resounding success for Spyderco and ultimately the end user. :cool:

In hindsight I should keep negative views to myself but ay, I’m far from perfect and sometimes transgress. I’m just disappointed that the knife didn’t follow suit with the Sprig and Southfork and I s’pose I’m just being selfish particularly in view of the fact that I’m fortunate enough to have the disposable income to spend on knives and other interests. Add to that I have my own preconceived ideologies and prejudices and rightly or wrongly, I’m set in my ways and refuse to willingly buy anything made in China, let alone budget Chinese knives.

Truth be known I still struggle with Taiwan stamped on my beloved Sprig and Southfork. :o
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Bloke - I have never owned or even handled a Phil Wilson designed knife, so I am super pumped to be able to get a feel for his designs with a cheap sub $35 knife. 8cr13MOV - ya, super budget. But, I want to get a feel of the ergos, blade geo, etc.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

ZMW wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:14 pm
Bloke - I have never owned or even handled a Phil Wilson designed knife, so I am super pumped to be able to get a feel for his designs with a cheap sub $35 knife. 8cr13MOV - ya, super budget. But, I want to get a feel of the ergos, blade geo, etc.
Rightly so! :cool:

I apologise to all unequivocally for my selfish and negative veiws :o :o :o
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Truth be told I just want to see the sheath...
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
Nate

Post by Nate »

I've been super excited about this since it was first discussed.

A Phil Wilson collab for the masses sounds like a great idea to me. 8Cr gets a bad rap but in reality it's composition is really close to AUS-8 and Spyderco does a great job with it, whether with the Byrd or value lines. They don't put their name on crap. The steel is relatively tough with decent edge holding and good corrosion resistance while also being really easy to sharpen. Pretty good qualities for a field or utility knife imo.

I have a South Fork, but can't wait to buy a few Bow Rivers. See them going out as gifts that won't break the bank. One for my son, my dad, siblings, friends, etc...
:spyder:
vivi

Post by vivi »

Most Spyderco fixed blades cost over $100, so seeing one under $40 is going to catch a lot of folks attention.

The design looks nice. Like a smaller, lighter version of my ESEE 6HM, but with a more upswept point.

I might buy two...one to keep as is, and one to mod to drop point. Plan to make my own kydex for em as well.
:unicorn
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Dodge wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:29 pm
It's like Bigfoot. The first sighting will be a blurry video of the sheath running through the woods.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:52 pm
Dodge wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:29 pm
It's like Bigfoot. The first sighting will be a blurry video of the sheath running through the woods.
Maybe Bigfoot was just a blurry guy...
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:48 pm
In hindsight I should keep negative views to myself but ay, I’m far from perfect and sometimes transgress.
On the contrary, its appreciated. Hopefully politically correct culture doesn't reach the knife community and ends up killing feedback, positive or negative. :confused:
Bloke wrote:
I’m set in my ways and refuse to willingly buy anything made in China, let alone budget Chinese knives.

Truth be known I still struggle with Taiwan stamped on my beloved Sprig and Southfork. :o
Well I got some bad news for you then mate, for all intent and purposes, Taiwan is China haha. (Any Taiwanese users on here, please don't beat me up :D )
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

emanuel wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:05 am
Well I got some bad news for you then mate, for all intent and purposes, Taiwan is China haha. (Any Taiwanese users on here, please don't beat me up :D )
Unless you’re referring referring to the race of the workers this is essentially false.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

emanuel wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:05 am
Bloke wrote:
In hindsight I should keep negative views to myself but ay, I’m far from perfect and sometimes transgress.
On the contrary, its appreciated. Hopefully politically correct culture doesn't reach the knife community and ends up killing feedback, positive or negative. :confused:
Bloke wrote:
I’m set in my ways and refuse to willingly buy anything made in China, let alone budget Chinese knives.

Hey emanuel, I do agree that both positive and negative feedback are relevant though I believe one man’s meat is another man’s poison as I believe that if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing. Particularly when it’s not relevant as is the case here.

The knife hasn’t even been released yet and I’ve aired my personal prejudices for no good reason and reading back through my posts here I come off as an arrogant and opinionated bigot. Not something I aspire to and forget that we all have different expectations and not all of us have the same amount of disposable income to throw around.

On a lighter note, I hope no Chinese or Taiwanese members are following this thread and want to bash us both. Ah, hahaha! :)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Bloke, nothing to worry about!! Your constant good humor is a godsend around here. No arrogance or opinionated bigotry. We're all free to express our feelings and views within reason...I know I have to work on that myself at times :o
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:34 pm
Bloke, nothing to worry about!! Your constant good humor is a godsend around here. No arrogance or opinionated bigotry. We're all free to express our feelings and views within reason...I know I have to work on that myself at times :o
You’re too kind Rick! :o
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

I'm very excited about this one. An inexpensive Phil Wilson design Spyderco made fixed blade sounds great. I've used Spyderco's 8Cr and it works just fine. Sharpens easily, has decent edge retention. I'm hoping these are available for purchase soon.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Any idea on a release date?
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Cscottsss wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:47 am
Any idea on a release date?

https://youtu.be/_9jYzYE2JOU?t=148

At SHOT Show, Eric had the Bow River on the table and said "we're going to deliver all of this stuff by May".
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Two weeks to May. Sal/Eric, you better get your bleep together or we’re going to... buy other Spyderco knives while we wait patiently for the Bow River.
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

Sooooo.... any news??