Caribbean different scales

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

Re: Caribbean different scales

Post by ladybug93 »

sal wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:47 pm
I'm carrying my "Hawaiian shirt" Caribbean" today. Plain Sheep-foot. Also wearing a subtle "Hawaiian shirt", made in Kauai. Also, I'm in Kauai.

sal
stopping by oahu?
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
vivi

Post by vivi »

Enactive wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:55 pm
crazywednesday wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:00 pm
Who would have bought the Caribbean if they came in solid color scales?
I'm more deterred by the tip up only carry (for a knife this size) and the comp lock.

I am digging the LC in my Chef and Native Salt, so have seriously considered the Caribbean.
Same. I'd buy one and dye the scales black if they were CBBL or backlock. The handle design looks nice and I like how the cutting edge comes right up to the handle with no choil.
:unicorn
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i’ve said a lot about the looks of this knife, but another issue (for me) is the width of the handle at the butt end. one of the things i love so much about the manix is that it gives a full grip, but tapers at the end, which makes for a really nice and unobtrusive entryway into the pocket when the knife is clipped. even though the knife is really wide, it’s narrow where it counts. the caribbean looks pretty wide where it sticks out of the pocket. even my native blocks my pocket much more than my manix, so i imagine the same would be true for the caribbean.

to be fair, most pocket knives are the same in this regard. it’s not a feature i knew i needed until i pocketed a manix and it changed my world. i wish other spydercos had a similar narrow end.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I wear aloha shirts daily to work but none that look like the Caribbean scales haha. Sal, if you ever come visit the Big Island it would be an honor to meet you.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:02 am
i’ve said a lot about the looks of this knife, but another issue (for me) is the width of the handle at the butt end. one of the things i love so much about the manix is that it gives a full grip, but tapers at the end, which makes for a really nice and unobtrusive entryway into the pocket when the knife is clipped. even though the knife is really wide, it’s narrow where it counts. the caribbean looks pretty wide where it sticks out of the pocket. even my native blocks my pocket much more than my manix, so i imagine the same would be true for the caribbean.

to be fair, most pocket knives are the same in this regard. it’s not a feature i knew i needed until i pocketed a manix and it changed my world. i wish other spydercos had a similar narrow end.
It gives a good purchase when removing the knife. This is a purpose built tool, made for use on boats and other challenging environments.

You will have a secure grip on it before it ever leaves your pocket. It's also not that noticeable.

Edit:
Vivi wrote:
Enactive wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:55 pm
crazywednesday wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:00 pm
Who would have bought the Caribbean if they came in solid color scales?
I'm more deterred by the tip up only carry (for a knife this size) and the comp lock.

I am digging the LC in my Chef and Native Salt, so have seriously considered the Caribbean.
Same. I'd buy one and dye the scales black if they were CBBL or backlock. The handle design looks nice and I like how the cutting edge comes right up to the handle with no choil.
I have never once had a compression lock knife open in my pocket. I'll admit that I used to be concerned about it, but after 5+ years of carrying a compression lock I've realized it's a non issue. Tip up, tip down, doesn't matter.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Tims

Post by Tims »

I’m sensing some strong hawaiian shirt love in this thread. I feel like a stranger opening the door on a secret society. Brothers, united by a love for colourful shirts and knives. Apologies fellas, no offence intended.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I’m ok with both grooves and contouring, but I don’t see the grooves as being needed with an improved hand-fitting shape. Secure ergonomics don’t always require groves or other retention features, take most fixed blades for instance. This is doubly true in cases where you’re not taking shocks from chopping, which you probably won’t be with a folder.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:46 am
ladybug93 wrote:

It gives a good purchase when removing the knife. This is a purpose built tool, made for use on boats and other challenging environments.

You will have a secure grip on it before it ever leaves your pocket. It's also not that noticeable.
There are pros and cons to most features. In your case the pro outweighs the con, in her case it doesn’t. Both are considered judgements and both valid.

A pocket knife goes in your pocket and features that improve that function are desirable. Sometimes improving carry could be a disadvantage in use. The extent to which they should be prioritized is a matter of personal opinion. No folding pocket knife is optimized for cutting, as it makes clear concessions for carry.

Critiques on how a knife carries are valid.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm always surprised at people having issues with pocket space. What else are you folks carrying in your knife pocket? I rarely carry anything else in that picket so my knife can have as much room as it needs, especially if it means the knife will in turn be more comfortable in my hand when I'm using it. I say bring on the 3D contoured pocket bricks and enjoy the ergonomics when in use and leave the knife pocket as only a knife pocket. I'd rather sacrifice a pocket and gain ergonomics than carry a knife just for the sake of it fitting in my pocket better only to find that it sucks to use. But, I guess there is no wrong answer here, my priorities are just different and I prefer hand/use comfort over pocket comfort. If I had it my way every handle would be like the D'Allara 2, whether it's FRN or G10.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

tvenuto wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:24 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:46 am
ladybug93 wrote:

There are pros and cons to most features. In your case the pro outweighs the con, in her case it doesn’t. Both are considered judgements and both valid.

A pocket knife goes in your pocket and features that improve that function are desirable. Sometimes improving carry could be a disadvantage in use. The extent to which they should be prioritized is a matter of personal opinion. No folding pocket knife is optimized for cutting, as it makes clear concessions for carry.

Critiques on how a knife carries are valid.
ladybug is my name because it was my first knife as a kid. ;)
Evil D wrote: I'm always surprised at people having issues with pocket space. What else are you folks carrying in your knife pocket? I rarely carry anything else in that picket so my knife can have as much room as it needs, especially if it means the knife will in turn be more comfortable in my hand when I'm using it. I say bring on the 3D contoured pocket bricks and enjoy the ergonomics when in use and leave the knife pocket as only a knife pocket. I'd rather sacrifice a pocket and gain ergonomics than carry a knife just for the sake of it fitting in my pocket better only to find that it sucks to use. But, I guess there is no wrong answer here, my priorities are just different and I prefer hand/use comfort over pocket comfort. If I had it my way every handle would be like the D'Allara 2, whether it's FRN or G10.
that’s my point about the manix. it has amazing ergonomics, but it’s not wide at the top of the pocket. it still easy to grab, but it’s also easy to get around and it manages to fill my hand in all grip options. my point is you don’t have to completely sacrifice a pocket to have a knife with a good grip and ergos and if like to see more designs like that.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:17 am

that’s my point about the manix. it has amazing ergonomics, but it’s not wide at the top of the pocket. it still easy to grab, but it’s also easy to get around and it manages to fill my hand in all grip options. my point is you don’t have to completely sacrifice a pocket to have a knife with a good grip and ergos and if like to see more designs like that.

I have no problem with the Manix 2, it's one of my favorite handle shapes. I get your point about it not blocking as much pocket opening but again, what else is in that pocket? It's still among the widest knives I have so beyond the opening it's still taking up a good amount of space. I do like that it can make the knife less noticeable, in cases like the Yojimbo 2 there isn't much knife showing even without a deep carry clip. On the other hand I do think it's a fair argument that more knife at the butt end makes it easier to get out of your pocket, this Caribbean is providing to be great for that especially with the grip texture.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:38 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:17 am

I have no problem with the Manix 2, it's one of my favorite handle shapes. I get your point about it not blocking as much pocket opening but again, what else is in that pocket? It's still among the widest knives I have so beyond the opening it's still taking up a good amount of space. I do like that it can make the knife less noticeable, in cases like the Yojimbo 2 there isn't much knife showing even without a deep carry clip. On the other hand I do think it's a fair argument that more knife at the butt end makes it easier to get out of your pocket, this Caribbean is providing to be great for that especially with the grip texture.
i also keep my cell phone in that pocket. i carry a lot of stuff on me and i don’t have enough pockets to dedicate to single items. that’s why i don’t get when people complain about how wide the manix is in the pocket. it’s narrow where it matters. it’s such a great design that i don’t understand why it’s not replicated on other spyderco knives.
and i don’t have any problem getting the manix out of my pocket quickly. there is plenty to grab without blocking half of my pocket. i understand the sentiment though. it’s a little easier to grab my native, but at the cost of a knife that sits awkwardly at the top of my pocket and makes accessing the contents of the pocket more difficult.
this wide butt problem is actually what eventually kicked my zt0350 out of my pocket in the search for something better to carry. it probably how i ended up with so many knives.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I carry RFP with jeans or khakis. I also carry my wallet in that pocket. I am also a bit picky about how a knife carries and draws because in my experience it spends most of its life in the pocket.

@LB93 sorry for the assumption, just know that I respect you as a fellow knife Knut regardless of gender. You might also check out the yojimbo which also has a very tapered end.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

tvenuto wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:06 pm
I carry RFP with jeans or khakis. I also carry my wallet in that pocket. I am also a bit picky about how a knife carries and draws because in my experience it spends most of its life in the pocket.

@LB93 sorry for the assumption, just know that I respect you as a fellow knife Knut regardless of gender. You might also check out the yojimbo which also has a very tapered end.
no worries. i'm not upset at all. that scene from bug's life is just the first thing that came to mind when i read your comment and i had to share it.

i do have a yojimbo and appreciate it's tapered end. however, the front hump on the blade sits so high that the tapered end doesn't sit flush with the edge of my pocket. it's actually one of the worst carrying knives i have, but i carry it anyway because it's just too cool. actually, because it sits away from the edge of my pocket, my pants caught on the tip of the blade once and it cut a hole while i was removing it for use. i was thinking about getting a deep carry clip for it for that reason even though i typically don't prefer deep carry. the yojimbo is such an awesome knife, but i guess the things that make it great when it's open also make it less great when it's closed.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:34 am
I'm always surprised at people having issues with pocket space. What else are you folks carrying in your knife pocket? I rarely carry anything else in that picket so my knife can have as much room as it needs, especially if it means the knife will in turn be more comfortable in my hand when I'm using it. I say bring on the 3D contoured pocket bricks and enjoy the ergonomics when in use and leave the knife pocket as only a knife pocket. I'd rather sacrifice a pocket and gain ergonomics than carry a knife just for the sake of it fitting in my pocket better only to find that it sucks to use. But, I guess there is no wrong answer here, my priorities are just different and I prefer hand/use comfort over pocket comfort. If I had it my way every handle would be like the D'Allara 2, whether it's FRN or G10.
The D’allara 2 is so good in hand. One of my favorites for that reason. However I’m mostly sitting and I don’t actually need my knife often. Probably 3-5 times a day at most. So carryability and comfort is a priority for me, this my constant companion the Delica.

As you say priorities differ. No wrong just different.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Tims wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:23 am
I’m sensing some strong hawaiian shirt love in this thread. I feel like a stranger opening the door on a secret society. Brothers, united by a love for colourful shirts and knives. Apologies fellas, no offence intended.

:D :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

The wide, bigger handle on the Caribbean makes it for me. There's PLENTY of spydies with smaller, slender handles. Nice to see something that yields a better purchase from a firm grasp.

Lock and pocket clip orientation are not big issues to me. They are not issues that effect me when using a knife, other than the fact that tip up is almost always better for me ergonomically.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Pelagic wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:17 pm
The wide, bigger handle on the Caribbean makes it for me. There's PLENTY of spydies with smaller, slender handles. Nice to see something that yields a better purchase from a firm grasp.

Lock and pocket clip orientation are not big issues to me. They are not issues that effect me when using a knife, other than the fact that tip up is almost always better for me ergonomically.
just curious if you’ve handled the manix 2 and had the same experience i described above? it fills my hand better than the native (and even the pm2), but is still narrow at the end.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

We may have to start a “knives and aloha shirts” thread.
Tims

Post by Tims »

Freediver wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:12 pm
We may have to start a “knives and aloha shirts” thread.

Word is theres a secret sub forum for the colorfully clad. Hushed whispers of secret hand shakes and symbolic blade etchings.

So I’ve heard anyway.