Selling knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
redhawk44357

Selling knives

Post by redhawk44357 »

A number of you in the forum mention the fact that you have sold knives for various reasons online and seem to have been successful. My question is where is the best site to go to? I have a large number of knives from various manufacturers that are residing around my house and need a better home.
tvenuto

Re: Selling knives

Post by tvenuto »

Pay for an upgraded membership at bladeforums. You'll get a higher sales price on ebay probably but it'll get eaten up by the fee. There are other options and I'm sure people will chime in.
Lumpy620

Post by Lumpy620 »

tvenuto wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:08 am
Pay for an upgraded membership at bladeforums. You'll get a higher sales price on ebay probably but it'll get eaten up by the fee. There are other options and I'm sure people will chime in.
+1 to this... I usually do eBay, but the fees do take a chunk out. I also like knife_swap over on Reddit, but I mostly utilize it for purchases/trading, rather than selling.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

eBay isn't so bad. If you typically buy sprints and keep them in great condition you can get your money back while still having the lowest price for that particular model on the site.

I enjoy buying knives to try them out, but I always know there's a possibility that I'll end up not loving the model. I tend to buy sprints/exclusives so they have better resale potential. I don't sell to turn a profit, but I'll certainly try to minimize loss while giving someone a chance at buying a knife they missed out on.

Since it's been discussed lately, if you bought the M4 Shaman exclusive for $200, kept it in pristine condition, and a month later decided you didn't like it as much as you thought you would, you'd have to sell it for ~$222 to get your $200 back (not counting shipping). And someone who missed out on that model would pay $220 for it in a heartbeat, as most flippers are pricing them closer to $300. In contrast if you buy a standard s30v pm2 for $130, you'll be lucky to get $100 for it before fees. If you absolutely know you'll keep the knife, none of this matters. But buying sprints/exclusives helps keep the hobby going with less financial loss.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

knife_swap on reddit is probably the quickest option.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I use bladeforums and ebay. I usually get more for them on ebay but I get money into my paypal quicker on bladeforums. In the end it just comes down to how much of a hurry I am in.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
allhatnocattle

Post by allhatnocattle »

Blade Forums Gold Membership

I like it for the private messages. Lots of deals going on that way.

Havn’t had a knife that didn’t sell or trade pretty well on that forum, they seem like a decent bunch of humans.

Same user there as here so if we cross paths just let me know.
PStone

Post by PStone »

I use eBay. I like the buy/seller protection aspect. I know there are scammers, but I like eBay being involved in disputes. To me it’s worth the extra fees. YMMV.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:55 am
I use eBay. I like the buy/seller protection aspect. I know there are scammers, but I like eBay being involved in disputes. To me it’s worth the extra fees. YMMV.
Same here. eBay has that and a huge global market. Overall, I have made a modest profit selling on eBay. You can’t just look at eBay fees versus Blade Forums. But, many people use Blade Forums successfully. If you are initially selling many knives, BF is a good choice. You have to decide which you are most comfortable with, cheap entry fee and tons of knife geeks, or a transactional fee, protection and global market.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I have used ebay for cleaning closets over the past two + decades. I don't care for it much (fees and other reasons) and use it as a last resort. Recently sold a couple of knives... since only selling two... I decided to go with ebay vs bladeforum membership. Unfortunately, it soon turned into a dozen that I sold and have given hundreds to the bay in a couple months time. Now wish I had gone with bladeforum.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I use BladeForums and I have sold a few through facebook local groups and such.

Ebay has crazy fees, I can't recommend them.

Reddit is the most toxic community I have ever seen. I don't have time to deal with that cesspool.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

eBay protection is nice but as long as you are using PayPal goods and services they will mediate any disputes.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:00 am
I use bladeforums and ebay. I usually get more for them on ebay but I get money into my paypal quicker on bladeforums. In the end it just comes down to how much of a hurry I am in.

Same. BF for quick cash and eBay for normal sales. I feel like even with fees I can net more on eBay for most models if I list buy it now and wait around for it to sell.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Ebay but their fees and PayPal’s fees make it a difficult place to recover your initial purchase and you will very likely loose money because of the high fees unless it is a highly prized model
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

Reddit knife swap is good and doesn't require any membership.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Knife_Swap/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Rutger wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:42 pm
Reddit knife swap is good and doesn't require any membership.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Knife_Swap/
+1, I recommend Reddit Knife Swap or ebay.

Blade Forums is a weird kind of place. They have a section called "Whine and Cheese" where 25 to 50 "elders" regularly hang out and ream in a disgusting fashion everyone on the site they do not like. Then those same people come in to the threads carrying their baggage of hate and spew it in to the regular threads to get accounts suspended. Admins oblige them and terminate accounts. You would think the admins would be wise to this but they encourage it. Proof of this is looking through old threads and seeing several if not dozens of BANNED and SUSPENDED accounts, some with 250 posts, some with 10,000 posts.

If you think Reddit is bad, and you are recommending BF, maybe you're part of the problem at BF.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Naperville wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:20 pm
If you think Reddit is bad, and you are recommending BF, maybe you're part of the problem at BF.
To be fair, reddit is capable of some awful dogpiles and the off-topic banter on knife_club is immature at best. Knife_club is middle of the road among subreddits I've participated in, but it's still very much the "wild wild west."
There level of scamming is no better or worse than it is on BF; the worst offenders on both sites are doing stuff that you just can't control with moderation.

Don't spend money on private sales if you can't afford to get burned.
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

I have yet to sell our buy anything online outside of retailers.

But as i read some of these responses i find myself thinking about a pal who does everything via craigslist and public meeting points.
Obviously this too has its own risks and restricts you to local only, but you have better odds of not getting ripped off
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:50 am
knife_swap on reddit is probably the quickest option.
I have sold a number of knives on knife_swap. This is a great option for buying and selling.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Anyone sell on Instagram?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal