Post-factory Grinds

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ferider

Post-factory Grinds

Post by ferider »

Just put these back together yesterday. So precious :)

(by Josh at RazorEdgeKnives.com, in case you wonder. Phenomenal work, cold/wet grinding, and I got updates via SMS while he was working on the knives. Thanks, Josh !)

Now, occasionally I see a custom ground Spydie on ebay. If you have one, please share.

Roland.
Last edited by ferider on Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
attila

Re: Post-factory Serrations

Post by attila »

Those are some nice grinds!

Roughly how much does such a SE grind cost?
I understand cost should vary with steel composition.

Thanks!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
ferider

Re: Post-factory Serrations

Post by ferider »

You have to check with Josh, Attila. But please don't do in this thread, don't want to violate the forum rules.
The Meat man

Re: Post-factory Grinds

Post by The Meat man »

That is super cool ferider!!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
attila

Post by attila »

Sorry, Roland. I didn't mean to put you at odds with the rules. I dared ask because I haven't seen a rule prohibiting discussion of the cost of regrind services.

I was asking here out of mere curiosity, and since I don't plan to get such grinding done in the foreseeable future, asking Josh would be unfairly leading him on.

Maybe I'll email him to satisfy my curiosity next week.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I know of no rule about what a regrind cost lol.
Post away!
But, I'm gonna guess it ain't cheap lol!!!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I also have a regrind from Josh at RKE (a SouthFork). I highly recommend his work. It's definitely first rate. :)

This was the pricing listed on my invoice:

Regrind to 600 grit - $20/inch up to 5", $18/inch 5"-8", $15/inch 8" or more
Blade is a high carbide steel (s110v, s90v, 3v, 4v, etc) - add $30

So basically, $20/inch, plus $40 for high carbide steel. A military should run about $80 or $120 if it's one of the high carbide steels.

Note that mine was PE, so I can't comment on serration cost.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Looking at those, I'm tempted to send him my Cruwear Manix for serrations...
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

ferider wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:02 am
Just put these back together yesterday. So precious :)

(by Josh at RazorEdgeKnives.com, in case you wonder. Phenomenal work, cold/wet grinding, and I got updates via SMS while he was working on the knives. Thanks, Josh !)

Now, occasionally I see a custom ground Spydie on ebay. If you have one, please share.

Roland.
Very nice work, could we see the other side I guess they made these Knives a chisel grind so the original bevels were removed resulting in a loss of steel?
ferider

Post by ferider »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:44 am
So basically, $20/inch, plus $40 for high carbide steel. A military should run about $80 or $120 if it's one of the high carbide steels.

Note that mine was PE, so I can't comment on serration cost.
Similar here, Tom. $30 per inch serration, independent of the steel. I picked 3" on the Military (which it is on my 440V copy) and 2.5" on the Manix.

Now that we got that out of the way, can I see some other custom grinds please ? :)
Last edited by ferider on Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
ferider

Post by ferider »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:50 am
Very nice work, could we see the other side I guess they made these Knives a chisel grind so the original bevels were removed resulting in a loss of steel?
Don't have photos right now, but Josh asked what I wanted: I decided to leave the original grind on the back. Increases the angle of the tips of the edge compared to chisel grind, adding toughness and not reducing too much steel.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

ferider wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:23 am
Don't have photos right now, but Josh asked what I wanted: I decided to leave the original grind on the back. Increases the angle of the tips of the edge compared to chisel grind, adding toughness and not reducing too much steel.
Awesome! When you have time if you do not mind I would really love to see this. Thanks for the info I may have a knife or two to receive PS treatment as Spyderco does not offer them that way.
ferider

Post by ferider »

Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:48 am
ferider wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:23 am
Awesome! When you have time if you do not mind I would really love to see this. Thanks for the info I may have a knife or two to receive PS treatment as Spyderco does not offer them that way.
Here is a quick and dirty iPhone photo with no artistic claims, hope that works for you :)

Doeswhateveraspidercan

It sure does, thank you, this is indeed very high quality work. Can it push cut through paper?
ferider

Post by ferider »

Yes.
foofie

Post by foofie »

TomAiello wrote:
I also have a regrind from Josh at RKE (a SouthFork). I highly recommend his work. It's definitely first rate. :)
I'm going to be waiting patiently for pics of this one! Fits the theme of the thread. It may push me to do the same :D
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

foofie wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:15 pm
TomAiello wrote:
I'm going to be waiting patiently for pics of this one! Fits the theme of the thread. It may push me to do the same :D
I won't be home for another week, and I have yet to figure out how to post a picture to this forum. But I'll see what I can do.
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

It seems you went with the REX45 after all... good man! It probably becomes the most logical choice anyways after considering the price. If it is anything like their HAP40 it should be pretty painless if not even enjoyable IMO to sharpen.
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Wow, those are amazing Roland. Props to you for doing it with a couple prestigious steels that a lot of people won't even actually use for edc.

Will you provide updates in this thread as you use them? I imagine they will remain extremely sharp for quite sometime, considering the steels. Very cool.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Rex45 serrations! Very cool. That will be an amazing knife. :spyder:
- Mark