Post-factory Grinds

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
ferider
Member
Posts: 812
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:41 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Post-factory Grinds

Postby ferider » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:02 am

Just put these back together yesterday. So precious :)

Image

Image

(by Josh at RazorEdgeKnives.com, in case you wonder. Phenomenal work, cold/wet grinding, and I got updates via SMS while he was working on the knives. Thanks, Josh !)

Now, occasionally I see a custom ground Spydie on ebay. If you have one, please share.

Roland.
Last edited by ferider on Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
attila
Member
Posts: 1283
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:20 am
Location: Maryland

Re: Post-factory Serrations

Postby attila » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:10 am

Those are some nice grinds!

Roughly how much does such a SE grind cost?
I understand cost should vary with steel composition.

Thanks!
Own: Delica, yOld S30V Native, pointy Breeden Rescue, Delica, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW,Pakkawood Delica, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, M4 Manix 2, HAP40 Caly 3, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, Pakkawood DF2, Cruwear PM2, SE Pac Salt, HAP40 Jazzlica, S110V Native, P.I.T.S., DLC Manix 2, REX 45 PM2, Para 3, XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, 20CV PM2, Rhino, SB Calypso Jr., B70P, PMA11, K03, ZDP Stretch 2, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, 204p PM2, Swick, SG Delica, BL Lil'Native, AEB-L Urban, HAP40 Stretch, KC Cruwear Manix 2, Cruwear Military, M390 PM2, Cruwear Delica, 4V Lil'Native, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Para 3 LW, M390 Manix 2, K390 Police 4, RexWood Shaman, DLC Cruwear Shaman, Rex 45 Manix 2, Native 5, Native LW, 204p Para 3, S45VN PM2, S90V Manix LW, 20CV Manix 2, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP.

Waiting for: SPY27, K490, Swick 5, and something purple
.

User avatar
ferider
Member
Posts: 812
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:41 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Post-factory Serrations

Postby ferider » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:14 am

You have to check with Josh, Attila. But please don't do in this thread, don't want to violate the forum rules.

The Meat man
Member
Posts: 3996
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:01 pm
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: Post-factory Grinds

Postby The Meat man » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:33 am

That is super cool ferider!!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

User avatar
attila
Member
Posts: 1283
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:20 am
Location: Maryland

Re: Post-factory Grinds

Postby attila » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:49 am

Sorry, Roland. I didn't mean to put you at odds with the rules. I dared ask because I haven't seen a rule prohibiting discussion of the cost of regrind services.

I was asking here out of mere curiosity, and since I don't plan to get such grinding done in the foreseeable future, asking Josh would be unfairly leading him on.

Maybe I'll email him to satisfy my curiosity next week.
Own: Delica, yOld S30V Native, pointy Breeden Rescue, Delica, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW,Pakkawood Delica, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, M4 Manix 2, HAP40 Caly 3, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, Pakkawood DF2, Cruwear PM2, SE Pac Salt, HAP40 Jazzlica, S110V Native, P.I.T.S., DLC Manix 2, REX 45 PM2, Para 3, XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, 20CV PM2, Rhino, SB Calypso Jr., B70P, PMA11, K03, ZDP Stretch 2, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, 204p PM2, Swick, SG Delica, BL Lil'Native, AEB-L Urban, HAP40 Stretch, KC Cruwear Manix 2, Cruwear Military, M390 PM2, Cruwear Delica, 4V Lil'Native, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Para 3 LW, M390 Manix 2, K390 Police 4, RexWood Shaman, DLC Cruwear Shaman, Rex 45 Manix 2, Native 5, Native LW, 204p Para 3, S45VN PM2, S90V Manix LW, 20CV Manix 2, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP.

Waiting for: SPY27, K490, Swick 5, and something purple
.

MacLaren
Member
Posts: 6554
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:59 pm
Location: Asheville,NC,USA,Earth

Re: Post-factory Grinds

Postby MacLaren » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:07 am

I know of no rule about what a regrind cost lol.
Post away!
But, I'm gonna guess it ain't cheap lol!!!

TomAiello
Member
Posts: 4507
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 pm
Location: Twin Falls, ID

Re: Post-factory Grinds

Postby TomAiello » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:44 am

I also have a regrind from Josh at RKE (a SouthFork). I highly recommend his work. It's definitely first rate. :)

This was the pricing listed on my invoice:

Regrind to 600 grit - $20/inch up to 5", $18/inch 5"-8", $15/inch 8" or more
Blade is a high carbide steel (s110v, s90v, 3v, 4v, etc) - add $30

So basically, $20/inch, plus $40 for high carbide steel. A military should run about $80 or $120 if it's one of the high carbide steels.

Note that mine was PE, so I can't comment on serration cost.

TomAiello
Member
Posts: 4507
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 pm
Location: Twin Falls, ID

Re: Post-factory Grinds

Postby TomAiello » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:46 am

Looking at those, I'm tempted to send him my Cruwear Manix for serrations...

Doeswhateveraspidercan
Member
Posts: 2618
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:31 pm

Re: Post-factory Grinds

Postby Doeswhateveraspidercan » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:50 am

ferider wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:02 am
Just put these back together yesterday. So precious :)

Image

Image

(by Josh at RazorEdgeKnives.com, in case you wonder. Phenomenal work, cold/wet grinding, and I got updates via SMS while he was working on the knives. Thanks, Josh !)

Now, occasionally I see a custom ground Spydie on ebay. If you have one, please share.

Roland.
Very nice work, could we see the other side I guess they made these Knives a chisel grind so the original bevels were removed resulting in a loss of steel?

User avatar
ferider
Member
Posts: 812
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:41 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Post-factory Grinds

Postby ferider » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:20 am

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:44 am
So basically, $20/inch, plus $40 for high carbide steel. A military should run about $80 or $120 if it's one of the high carbide steels.

Note that mine was PE, so I can't comment on serration cost.
Similar here, Tom. $30 per inch serration, independent of the steel. I picked 3" on the Military (which it is on my 440V copy) and 2.5" on the Manix.

Now that we got that out of the way, can I see some other custom grinds please ? :)
Last edited by ferider on Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ferider
Member
Posts: 812
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:41 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Post-factory Grinds

Postby ferider » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:23 am

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:50 am
Very nice work, could we see the other side I guess they made these Knives a chisel grind so the original bevels were removed resulting in a loss of steel?
Don't have photos right now, but Josh asked what I wanted: I decided to leave the original grind on the back. Increases the angle of the tips of the edge compared to chisel grind, adding toughness and not reducing too much steel.

Doeswhateveraspidercan
Member
Posts: 2618
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:31 pm

Re: Post-factory Grinds

Postby Doeswhateveraspidercan » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:48 am

ferider wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:23 am
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:50 am
Very nice work, could we see the other side I guess they made these Knives a chisel grind so the original bevels were removed resulting in a loss of steel?
Don't have photos right now, but Josh asked what I wanted: I decided to leave the original grind on the back. Increases the angle of the tips of the edge compared to chisel grind, adding toughness and not reducing too much steel.
Awesome! When you have time if you do not mind I would really love to see this. Thanks for the info I may have a knife or two to receive PS treatment as Spyderco does not offer them that way.

User avatar
ferider
Member
Posts: 812
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:41 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Post-factory Grinds

Postby ferider » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:04 am

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:48 am
ferider wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:23 am
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:50 am
Very nice work, could we see the other side I guess they made these Knives a chisel grind so the original bevels were removed resulting in a loss of steel?
Don't have photos right now, but Josh asked what I wanted: I decided to leave the original grind on the back. Increases the angle of the tips of the edge compared to chisel grind, adding toughness and not reducing too much steel.
Awesome! When you have time if you do not mind I would really love to see this. Thanks for the info I may have a knife or two to receive PS treatment as Spyderco does not offer them that way.
Here is a quick and dirty iPhone photo with no artistic claims, hope that works for you :)

Image

Doeswhateveraspidercan
Member
Posts: 2618
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:31 pm

Re: Post-factory Grinds

Postby Doeswhateveraspidercan » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:07 am

It sure does, thank you, this is indeed very high quality work. Can it push cut through paper?

User avatar
ferider
Member
Posts: 812
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:41 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Post-factory Grinds

Postby ferider » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:08 am

Yes.

foofie
Member
Posts: 388
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:23 pm

Re: Post-factory Grinds

Postby foofie » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:15 pm

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:44 am
I also have a regrind from Josh at RKE (a SouthFork). I highly recommend his work. It's definitely first rate. :)
I'm going to be waiting patiently for pics of this one! Fits the theme of the thread. It may push me to do the same :D

TomAiello
Member
Posts: 4507
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 pm
Location: Twin Falls, ID

Re: Post-factory Grinds

Postby TomAiello » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:51 am

foofie wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:15 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:44 am
I also have a regrind from Josh at RKE (a SouthFork). I highly recommend his work. It's definitely first rate. :)
I'm going to be waiting patiently for pics of this one! Fits the theme of the thread. It may push me to do the same :D
I won't be home for another week, and I have yet to figure out how to post a picture to this forum. But I'll see what I can do.

User avatar
youmakemehole
Member
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:42 am

Re: Post-factory Grinds

Postby youmakemehole » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:20 am

It seems you went with the REX45 after all... good man! It probably becomes the most logical choice anyways after considering the price. If it is anything like their HAP40 it should be pretty painless if not even enjoyable IMO to sharpen.
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal

User avatar
TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 4690
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Post-factory Grinds

Postby TkoK83Spy » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:26 am

Wow, those are amazing Roland. Props to you for doing it with a couple prestigious steels that a lot of people won't even actually use for edc.

Will you provide updates in this thread as you use them? I imagine they will remain extremely sharp for quite sometime, considering the steels. Very cool.
20 :spyder:'s in 11 different steels
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Civivi Elementum

-Rick

User avatar
mb1
Member
Posts: 1017
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:47 am
Location: Southeast, US

Re: Post-factory Grinds

Postby mb1 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:36 am

Rex45 serrations! Very cool. That will be an amazing knife. :spyder:
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 5-by-5, AHarbuck, Bing [Bot], Enactive, Lumpy, Mr Blonde, Robert Ptacek, slick228, Sumdumguy, TechnoSage, VashHash, vivi and 27 guests