Work gloves

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Cao87

Work gloves

Post by Cao87 »

Just wondering if you have any suggestions for good work gloves
As you know I work in a warehouse, and the gloves I have now are
Ok they are a bit bulky and if they get a bit wet they get holes in them .
I’ve been looking at the mechanix gloves and they look like they would last
Long anyone have experience with them
DSH007

Re: Work gloves

Post by DSH007 »

I'd go with old-school leather work gloves. I haven't found a pair, Mechanix or otherwise, that have been able to outlast a basic leather work glove for heavy use..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I've had great luck with Mechanix Leather Palm for everything from laying wood floors to hauling brush. Not sure how they would hold up in a warehouse though. Picking up a 5 pack of cheap leather gloves from Harbor Freight might be the way to go.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have work through the cheap "Mechanix" clone gloves that you can get from Harbor Freight quite quickly. To be fair, I have also gone through 2 pairs of the genuine Mechanix fast-fit leather gloves in the last 6 months. I work around a lot of sharp and abrasive objects in a warehouse/industrial environment but I also handle a lot of chemicals so these have been giving me good use for the last few months.

http://www.majesticglove.com/3437

The are expensive, but the knit fabric is very durable and the polyurethane palms give me both grip and good abrasion resistance. I haven't worn through the fingertips as quickly with these as I have with my Mechanix.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Unless I need heavier gloves for cold or really abrasive jobs, I like the thin nitrile coated gloves. They aid you in grip but still allow you to feel what you're touching and are especially easy to operate a knife with.

I get these cheapos from Walmart and I actually like them more than better/more expensive versions. They're a bit small for my hand so they end up ripping at the web between my thumb and index finger but by then they're wore out anyway. They're about $1 a pair so it's not that big of a loss. I wear them a few weeks and replace them. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tough- ... /141197125

I get those in store for something like $2.88 for a 3 pack.

I have several pair if Mechanics gloves and they're ok but for $20 a pair give or take, they wear out too quick for the price. I'd just assume spend that money on 7 packs of the cheap gloves and get 21 pair which will last me longer and don't feel like as much of a loss when they wear out.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

There is a specialty type work glove I used to get at my local lumber yard called "Ironclad". They are expensive but they not only last a long time but they are extremely versatile and nimble unlike most work gloves. There are a lot of cheap imitations of the "Ironclad" brand of glove but so far the "Ironclad" and "DeWalt" gloves are the ones I've had the best luck with.

There used to be a great glove company and they had 3 major factories here in Missouri at one time but I've heard all but one of them all got shipped to China :( Speaking of the "Wells Lamont" glove company. They had one called the "White Mule" which was an extremely tough glove that would last 2 to 3 years if you took care of them. But I haven't seen any "Wells Lamont" gloves in the stores in the past year or so.
Cao87

Post by Cao87 »

Hmm interesting and I thought that mechanix gloves were really good.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

You’re in Canada if I recall from the Manix thread right? Canadian Tire has gloves similar to Mechanix but they’re blue. They last as long but when they are on sale they are significantly cheaper.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Cao87 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:11 am
I wouldn't say that mechanix gloves are necessarily bad.. I guess it just depends on the work that you are doing. I used to work for my uncle doing construction/demolition and it would not be uncommon of for me to blow out the fingertips of mechanix/mechanix-style work gloves within a week of heavy use. Full leather gloves lasted significantly longer in my experience. I also find that the thinner ventilation-type material on mechanix style gloves generally doesn't protect the hand as well against abrasions from construction debris. Don't get me wrong, mechanix gloves are perfectly suitable for a variety of working conditions.. I just discovered long ago that I prefer leather gloves and I've used them ever since. And it always just seemed silly to me to spend as much money, or sometimes quite a bit more, for the "mechanix" name when they just don't last as long. To each their own I suppose. Regardless of which pair you decide on, see if you can get your employer to reimburse the cost.. many will cover PPE.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Cao87

Post by Cao87 »

I wear gloves because I carry boxes onto skids at my work so I would need something
That is thick enough that it won’t rip easily but thin enough that my hands won’t get
Sweaty and when I need to use my pen I can get it out easily.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Fellow warehouse worker here. I use the original Mechanix gloves daily and I really like them. Durability wise I will go through a pair about every three to four months. The thing I like the most about the Mechanix gloves is the dexterity/ freedom of movement. They are not constricting and are very comfortable. I’m not crazy about the price but my work reimburses me so that is something to take into consideration. Either way I think if I had to pay for them myself I would still use Mechanix gloves. Hope that helps.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Cao87 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:11 am
I really don't think they're worth the money. I've wore out every pair I've had in a short time. Now if I want that style of glove I just get the knockoffs from Harbor Freight, but I have to say the Mechanics gloves definitely fit better and are more comfortable but they don't last any longer than what I get from HF. If I could get either for free then I'd definitely prefer the real deal but they average about $20 a pair vs $6 at Harbor Freight so when I can get 3 pair for the same price and they last just as long it's not a hard sale.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Cao87 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:53 am
I wear gloves because I carry boxes onto skids at my work so I would need something
That is thick enough that it won’t rip easily but thin enough that my hands won’t get
Sweaty and when I need to use my pen I can get it out easily.
If you're moving said skid and it happens to scuff the floor is it a skid mark?
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Crux

Post by Crux »

Try these.

Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
rossco599

Post by rossco599 »

I have never worked in a warehouse but I was a mechanic. Mechanix gloves lasted a couple weeks, snapon way longer. Hyflex a couple weeks but by far the best dexterity. No padding, $40 for 12.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well I've tried at least 3 other brands of work gloves that were the same style as the IRONCLAD brand of glove. I still rate them the highest of any I've ever worked with. Like I said earlier the WELLS LAMONT brand of gloves is about as good as it gets for gloves in that price range ( $5 to $20).

IRONCLAD gloves are not cheap but I can usually get a whole year of use out of a pair before I finally destroy them through hard use. There are a lot of copycats of the IRONCLAD brand and the only copies I've had good luck with are the "DeWalt" gloves. It seems like here in Missouri the only places you can get IRONCLAD gloves are big lumberyards and major powertool dealers and repair stations. You don't find them at Rip-Mart or any other discount house.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I just wear the gloves my employer provides. Usually basic leather gloves in the summer and insulated leather gloves in the winter.

I think an employer should be responsible for providing an employee with what they need to do their job. If any piece of your clothing wears fast at work then that becomes there responsibility. The only clothing I wear to work that I paid for is my underwear.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?