Endura and Delica Models: Which "era" is your favorite?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
embry386

Re: Endura and Delica Models: Which "era" is your favorite?

Post by embry386 »

I like the current version of the Endura very much. Aesthetically, I prefer the pointy tip of earlier versions, but for practical purposes I like the tip on the current version. It's wider and better for spreading peanut butter on bread. And if I ever decide I really want a pointy Endura, it'll be easy to just grind a bit of metal off and make it pointy. If it came pointy from the factory and I decided I wanted a wider tip, I'd be outta luck. So I'm very happy with the current version.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

embry386 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:16 am
I like the current version of the Endura very much. Aesthetically, I prefer the pointy tip of earlier versions, but for practical purposes I like the tip on the current version. It's wider and better for spreading peanut butter on bread. And if I ever decide I really want a pointy Endura, it'll be easy to just grind a bit of metal off and make it pointy. If it came pointy from the factory and I decided I wanted a wider tip, I'd be outta luck. So I'm very happy with the current version.

Great points and great choice. This makes me want to get another Endura 4 :)

I love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and I love Spyderco knives :)
embry386

Post by embry386 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:40 am
embry386 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:16 am

Great points and great choice. This makes me want to get another Endura 4 :)

I love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and I love Spyderco knives :)
Replying over a year later, after purchasing an Endura 3 and being able to compare firsthand to the Endura 4...

I still prefer the broader tip and flat-ground-ness of the Endura 4. However, the Endura 3 has such an awesome handle shape, and is so lightweight without those heavy liners of the Endura 4, that I've come to prefer it anyway. My Endura 4 is in a box under my bed, and the 3 is lying on the desk next to me, and that's where they've been for the last several months -- the 3 out and about where I can use it, and the 4 languishing in a box.

This has made me interested in getting an updated version of the Pac Salt. Hoping it'll have an Endura 4 flatground bladeshape, but no liners -- that'd be very awesome, and would probably kick the Endura 3 out of my pocket.

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are great :) And they taste even better when you use your Spyderco to make them :D
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Delica 4.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Holland

Post by Holland »

I have carried and enjoyed them all, but the D4 in ffg is significantly better imo
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'm an Endura guy and have been since 92 or thereabouts. I prefer the 4th generation in Superblue,V-Toku-2, and Hap 40 and still carry the Vg 10 versions and that steel still does fine even in comparison. I'm glad I can have all and don't need to pick just one.

All models last and last with just basic care and regular non destructive use. My earliest models in Gin 1 ( labeled "G2") are still very much usable and have another 25 years left in them easily. The plastic clip is there but has lost it's strength but other than that the knives just get smoother and nicer.

My best advice with lockbacks is to keep the bearing surfaces clean of grit because that is what causes scoring and damages the surfaces. I stopped using oil and grease in mine and went to a dry aerosol spray teflon lube on that area but I don't mind it running dry with no lube at all. It does fine like that and is easier to keep clean with nothing to attract and hold dirt and grit. I have ran them through the washer and dryer a few times with no problems but I wouldn't recommend it with the Super Blue and V Toku models. Not on purpose anyways.

Joe