Your Username...why did you choose it?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The Deacon

Re: Your Username...why did you choose it?

Post by The Deacon »

The username comes from the piece of WW II "nose art" shown below which originally adorned a P-47 Thunderbolt. Interest in WW II aircraft and R?C scale modeling led me to the artwork, and the irreverent and somewhat shady nature of the pistol packing card playing character depicted it led me to use it both as my username and avatar when I started playing cards online. Laziness caused me to carry it over when I got involved with this and other forums a few years later.

Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
James Y

Post by James Y »

My username is simply my first name and last initial. It's the same username I have in Bladeforums, which was the very first forum I ever joined when I first got onto the Internet, back in 1998. I decided to keep the same username here, as it's also a knife forum. To this day, I've joined very few Internet forums at all, the other two being forums for discussion of martial arts and western movies, where I use different usernames.

Jim
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

flasharry wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:28 pm
MichaelScott wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:51 pm
I’m 76 years old. I programmed my first digital computer in 1964. Been doing this kind of stuff since. I decided to just be myself on line. Easy to remember and when I ever meet someone from Spyderville they will quickly know me from this forum.
CDC or IBM 360? I started out in IT operating a 360/40 way back when..
Username? goes back to high school track and field - was a pretty good sprinter - hence "flash" combined with my name - Harry
As I remember it was likely a CDC, specially configured for Polaris ICBM Fire control systems on the boats. We learned binary, expressed in octal, and programmed in that. Later we made the “big” jump to assembler. I finally quit programming in the days of FORTRAN, Pascal, COBOL and compiled BASIC. Did a little 360 work but not enough to really count.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Mine’s a between-my-ears joke.

For a few decades I freelanced technical-writing and information-gathering skills to industry and government as “The WordWright”. Needed an email handle, something unique and semi-anonymous, so I shortened my company name by dropping the vowels. And it has stuck as a username.

The joke is ironic (I like irony). As evidenced by the misspelling, I’m not a perfect writer. Turns out, there’s another joke, and it’s on me: it takes forever to state my email address over the phone or face-to-face.

Well, I’m not perfect, and it’s good to be reminded regularly...
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Makos was the name of my waterpolo team as a kid; 109 was my cap number. It was the only memorable user name I could come up with when signing up; too lazy to change it.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

In the previous century I needed a Yahoo Mail account name to get university assignments- one I could remember:
Tales From The Crypt- Demonknight was my favourite movie
Antisocial headcase was my lovely nickname due to the way I rode a motorbike.
Both demonknight and headcase were taken and I was NOT having none of that "Name1234" type e-mail nonsense.

Demoncase was born- and it's been my consistent online name ever since on a dozen different forums....apart from Xbox live which randomly assigned me the utterly awesome name of "LeakproofWizard" 10 years ago which I've stuck with
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

MichaelScott wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:50 am
flasharry wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:28 pm
MichaelScott wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:51 pm
I’m 76 years old. I programmed my first digital computer in 1964. Been doing this kind of stuff since. I decided to just be myself on line. Easy to remember and when I ever meet someone from Spyderville they will quickly know me from this forum.
CDC or IBM 360? I started out in IT operating a 360/40 way back when..
Username? goes back to high school track and field - was a pretty good sprinter - hence "flash" combined with my name - Harry
As I remember it was
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

They say a picture is worth a thousand words so here is the real bearfacedkiller:

It might not be what most would have expected but it has been my handle for many years on every forum I have been on. Over the years I guess I have become the bearfacedkiller but it was originally a nickname for my dog. Her name was Rita but she was called by many names, one of which was "the bearfacedkiller". I got her when I was just 21 years old and she was my constant companion and meant very much to me. Sadly she has been gone for many years now. I have had other dogs in my life and I have lost other dogs in my life but Rita was special, probably mostly because of the period of my life when I had her. We traveled and slept in my car and went camping and she mingled at college parties and we moved around a lot and all the other crazy stuff you do when you are a wild and crazy young single 20 something and through all of it she was my constant companion. I guess she will live on with me forever because one day many, many years ago when trying to come up with a handle for a different forum I looked down at my dog and entered bearfacedkiller as my handle and it has stuck ever since and I do not plan on ever changing it. So I will close with a picture from many years ago, maybe around 2001, of the bearfacedkiller with the bearfacedkiller sitting at my friends bar. I am probably only 23 years old in this pic and she is maybe 2 and this is right around when I became the bearfacedkiller too. (I didn't let her drink the beer :))

Miss you boo bear! Crap, just teared up a little. :o :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Me Scottish brethren
ShaneInDenver

Post by ShaneInDenver »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:19 pm
Miss you boo bear! Crap, just teared up a little. :o :)
Beautiful story, brought tears to my eyes too.

Mine is a little simpler. My name is Shane and I used to live in Denver, though now I live in Arvada. Maybe ShaneInCO makes more sense? I think I'll just stick with it.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Very nice story Darby. I'm glad you shared it with us. I totally understand, I've lost friends and family members over the years...but nothing hurt worse than losing my golden retriever "Goldie" We had her from when I was 10 to 23 years old. I was an absolute mess, much harder than I ever imagined.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Cycletroll is derived from my life long fascination and love of bicycles and that I'm tall and gangly like a Troll!
Lol!
This screen name was derived over 15years ago and seemingly before "troll" had such a negative Internet connotation.
Sigh
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

Most people around here are very polite. Whenever I meet someone or go somewhere and interact with folks they either call me Sir, or Mr. (Surname). I always say, "That's my Dad, I'm just John".
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Murphjd25

Short for my last name Murphy, everyone calls me Murph. JD is just my first and middle name initials and 25 is my favorite number, I’m really creative!
Josh
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Ngati is a New Zealand Maori word, a prefix for a tribal group. I’m originally from the UK, the Kiwis refer to us imports as Pommies or Poms. So I decided I belong to the Pom tribe.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

Ngati Pom wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:36 pm
Ngati is a New Zealand Maori word, a prefix for a tribal group. I’m originally from the UK, the Kiwis refer to us imports as Pommies or Poms. So I decided I belong to the Pom tribe.

You dont need to have your own tribe, you qualify for the ngati pakhea tribe
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

gingerninja wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:05 am
Ngati Pom wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:36 pm

You dont need to have your own tribe, you qualify for the ngati pakhea tribe
Ah, hahaha, ah, hahah, ah, hahaha! :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Cycletroll wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:51 pm
Cycletroll is derived from my life long fascination and love of bicycles and that I'm tall and gangly like a Troll!
Lol!
This screen name was derived over 15years ago and seemingly before "troll" had such a negative Internet connotation.
Sigh
I'm excited about a bicycle furr the first time. Im getting a cannondale carbon lefty or something like that with a custom trailer as well. My parents got it at an auction for $250 in unused condition. Anything I need to know?
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

First initial last name. I didn’t have any better ideas and it didn’t seem like something worth agonizing over.